It’s been a while. DSPlease be gentle.

Participant count
  • Participants list

Mix Audio

Zimm zimma
Maine
I’m wondering what ya’ll would recommend for a reasonably priced, easy to use, DSP? The last time I had a DSP was when I competed in IASCA sanctioned events, back in the early to mid 90’s, and what I remember most was how much it improved my soundstage.

Rockford Fosgate makes one as does Dayton, RF is around 300-350 the other is 160 or so then you step up into the Helix and Audisons of the world which are a few hundred sometimes over 1k if they have an amp built into them.

I’m wondering what ya’ll would recommend for a reasonably priced, easy to use, DSP? The last time I had a DSP was when I competed in IASCA sanctioned events, back in the early to mid 90’s, and what I remember most was how much it improved my soundstage.
I think all the usual suspects make them; Rockford, JBL, JL, Audiocontrol, etc. along with the others mentioned already. Haven't seen any horror stories posted about anything on the market right now so as far as what is going to be most "user friendly" that's entirely subjective and you won't know until you actually install and try to figure out how to use it.

We have had a few head units come out with all the good features built in over the last few years, most of them have a comma in the MSRP, and AFAIK most of them now discontinued or out of stock just about everywhere online, though there may be some new models that replace those previous generation ones.

So yeah, DSP is still critical to get into the proper reference tier SQ realm and technology has improved dramatically since those days (where the best option was to buy Rane or similar home theater stuff and run it with an inverter). Crutchfield is still a thing and they have really good phone support and customer service in general. Might could give them a call and discuss your goals, budget, and options with them. I know my way around the block a good bit but use them often if I want a HU to do something but don't know what is out in the market that fills my needs, they are really well informed on what is out there and of course are really easy to do returns/exchange if it doesn't work out.

Also worth mentioning that full range class D amps have come a long way too and if you're buying from a reputable brand you should expect fine performance for a fraction of the space, heat, and power consumption. Absolutely no reason to ever buy class A/B amps for 12V applications these days.

I think all the usual suspects make them; Rockford, JBL, JL, Audiocontrol, etc. along with the others mentioned already. Haven't seen any horror stories posted about anything on the market right now so as far as what is going to be most "user friendly" that's entirely subjective and you won't know until you actually install and try to figure out how to use it.

We have had a few head units come out with all the good features built in over the last few years, most of them have a comma in the MSRP, and AFAIK most of them now discontinued or out of stock just about everywhere online, though there may be some new models that replace those previous generation ones.

So yeah, DSP is still critical to get into the proper reference tier SQ realm and technology has improved dramatically since those days (where the best option was to buy Rane or similar home theater stuff and run it with an inverter). Crutchfield is still a thing and they have really good phone support and customer service in general. Might could give them a call and discuss your goals, budget, and options with them. I know my way around the block a good bit but use them often if I want a HU to do something but don't know what is out in the market that fills my needs, they are really well informed on what is out there and of course are really easy to do returns/exchange if it doesn't work out.

Also worth mentioning that full range class D amps have come a long way too and if you're buying from a reputable brand you should expect fine performance for a fraction of the space, heat, and power consumption. Absolutely no reason to ever buy class A/B amps for 12V applications these days.
WHAT!!?

Even a Pre amp EQ does wonders for sound stage.And it is at your fingertips/ tuning on the fly, if 1/2 din installed. Something to consider and can be found from 5v on up to 9v even, not hard to install either. there are amplifiers that have built in DSP options also that can be considered as well. For about 100 bucks on up with a Preamp EQ and a 2ft set of RCAs and a little time installing and min wiring thats what I use, pretty simplistic

In my work truck I’m running a RF T-750. When I 1st got it I was apprehensive but the lil thing pushes 2 JL 12TW3’s pretty well. The last DSP I owned was Audio Control. Had an epicenter too. Not sure if they even sell those anymore. My Kenwood Excelon has sum ****, as far as controls, but I honestly have yet to take the time to really figure it out. Planning on redoing the system in my car next spring, and that’s where I wanna use DSP or maybe, as u mentioned, a pre amp/eq. It’s a BMW 323i and currently has a Kenwood DDX, Infinity Kappa 6.5’s, RF T-800 n RF T-112 D4’s. Wanna really do it up for shows. I’m in the process of an LS swap and, as soon as that **** shows finished, it’s time to overhaul the system.

In my work truck I’m running a RF T-750. When I 1st got it I was apprehensive but the lil thing pushes 2 JL 12TW3’s pretty well. The last DSP I owned was Audio Control. Had an epicenter too. Not sure if they even sell those anymore. My Kenwood Excelon has sum ****, as far as controls, but I honestly have yet to take the time to really figure it out. Planning on redoing the system in my car next spring, and that’s where I wanna use DSP or maybe, as u mentioned, a pre amp/eq. It’s a BMW 323i and currently has a Kenwood DDX, Infinity Kappa 6.5’s, RF T-800 n RF T-112 D4’s. Wanna really do it up for shows. I’m in the process of an LS swap and, as soon as that **** shows finished, it’s time to overhaul the system.
The higher end Kenwoods may have enough EQ and time alignment to get you by. Pretty sure Audiocontrol still makes the epicenter as I've seen one just in the past year at a show. I found those to be really too much effect or nothing but they may have dialed in a better sensitivity range over the many years since I owned one.
Anyway I'd suggest figure out which sort of processing features you want, call up Crutchfield and see if someone sells a head unit with all that stuff built in. Less links in the signal chain are less potential sources of trouble downstream. Keep it simple as possible.

Helix or JL Audio TwK88 or VXi amplifiers. Both of these manufacturers use in-house engineering and software development. Accessories are plentiful and very useful.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...