is this too much power for 3 jl w3v2.....

DcMaN
10+ year member

i was wondering if a phoenix gold tantrum 1200.1 @ 4ohms (roughly 1400 RMS) would be too much to power 3 12' JL audio w3v2 in a sealed enclosure. I think that the tantrum would be perfect because when using 4 ohms it doesnt put as much stress on your alternator as if you were to use 2 or 1 ohms. Its gonna end up to be like 468 rms per each sub, i was just wondering if that would be too much, i dont want to blow out my subs.

just don't crank up the gain to where they distort and "bottom out" I had 3 w3s also and ran my Tantrum for a little while on them and it pushed them well, just not the full 1400 or so watts.

so basically just keep the gains on a low setting? How would i go about setting them then. What volume should i turn my headunit up to etc...

Well I would try turning the gain to 0 and then turn your headunit to the level that your other speakers can safely turn up to. If the subs can also handle that then slowly turn the gain up on the amp. Once they sound like they can't take more then stop.

I wouldn't recomend turning a headunit more thatn 3/4 or 5/6 the way up, because the RCA's might start to clip. Also, when I say keep turning the gain on the Tantrum up, make sure you use common sense as well. I'm sure that there is no need for it to be turned up all the way, or probably even 1/2 way.

Gain is not volume, it should match your preout level. A lot of gains are 0.2-7 volts input. If you have 7 volt preouts you would leave the gain at 0, if you had 0.2 volt preouts it would be all the way up.

In your situation, since you have lots of power your preouts might match the amp at 1/2 gain. But what I mean is start at 0 gain, turn it up, go no more that 1/2 gain but maybe you will stop at 1/4 gain or 1/3 gain and the woofers will be maxed out.

If you want a proper way of setting a gain, do a search or go to the tutorials on http://www.jlaudio.com

good luck,

Craig G

i have 4 volt preouts on my headunit i have the alpine CDA-7893

Key Features

• 60W x 4 V-Drive Hybrid Amplifier

• Bass Engine® Plus

- Media Xpander™

- 4-Channel Digital Time Correction

- 3-Position 12dB/Octave Crossover

- Subwoofer Level Control with Phase Selector

- Bass Center Frequency and Width Control

- Treble Center Frequency Control

• XM Satellite Radio Ready

• CD-R/RW Playback

• Versatile-Link™ Ready

• KCA-410C Multi-Versatile Link Terminal Compatible

• MaxTune SQ Tuner

• Regulated 1Bit DAC

• 4 Volt Subwoofer PreOut

• 3 PreOuts

• Silver Finish with Bright Blue LEDs

• Swing Mechanism with Detachable Face

• RUE-4187 Wireless Remote Control Included

Can you tell me how to set the gains with that headunit ?

The only problem with runnin close to 500 rms with a W3 is that you are voiding the warranty if you do. Thats how it was with the old W3 AND I KNOW THE NEW ONE HANDLES 50 RMS MORE but still you should check it out at JL;s website. And besides that Tantrum will acutally put out 1500 RMS. But of course............turn the gain down like others have said.

The only problem with runnin close to 500 rms with a W3 is that you are voiding the warranty if you do. Thats how it was with the old W3 AND I KNOW THE NEW ONE HANDLES 50 RMS MORE but still you should check it out at JL;s website. And besides that Tantrum will acutally put out 1500 RMS. But of course............turn the gain down like others have said.
They will handle it, i had a 12w3 in 3 cubes ported with NO SSF and

600 watts. And it was fine, and its not like the subs will be recieving 500 watts all the time.

well i looked on the chart for recomended power, anything 600rms and over is voiding the warranty. I just wanted to see if anyone had put the jls to that power. And the subs had survived.

well i looked on the chart for recomended power, anything 600rms and over is voiding the warranty. I just wanted to see if anyone had put the jls to that power. And the subs had survived.
Look what i just posted, i had it off 600+ for over 4 months....

i have 4 hooked up to 2 memphis 1000d's. i have had this setup since the new year. the amp is turned way down barely on, but it slams hard. so your three should be okay. like everyone said don't get volume happy though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.