Is this Setup to much?

aceorama1
10+ year member

chicago
I am looking to install Alpine Type R subs into a BMW 1 series. It is a small sport coupe and I have been leaning towards the idea of running dual 4ohm Alpine Type R's at 1ohm at about 700 watts each. I need to know if this is going to be "to much" for the car I'm driving.... would it be better to maybe just have a single Type R?... In other words I don't want to damage anything.

I am looking to install Alpine Type R subs into a BMW 1 series. It is a small sport coupe and I have been leaning towards the idea of running dual 4ohm Alpine Type R's at 1ohm at about 700 watts each. I need to know if this is going to be "to much" for the car I'm driving.... would it be better to maybe just have a single Type R?... In other words I don't want to damage anything.
you probably won't be able to fit the box for 2 type R's in that car. better to do a single 12 in a nice big enclosure than stuff 2 into a tiny box.

you probably won't be able to fit the box for 2 type R's in that car. better to do a single 12 in a nice big enclosure than stuff 2 into a tiny box.
I agree.

A single Dual 2 would be good for a single subwoofer application, then you have two common choices for impedence, 1 or 4 ohm.

I have put two 15's in sealed boxes before into a tiny trunk, and it ******. I wanted to go ported, but space is limited in my ride.

A single D2 15" might be a good option too, if you have room to port it.

i could fit a box. I alrdy measured and i can do a box probably just over 4.o cubic feet
huh. i stand corrected. if you could fit 2 cubes per sub, then it would work fine. total box volume with port and sub displacement will be larger than that though.. 2 cubes is just internal volume not counting port and sub. or thickness of the wood.

I agree.
A single Dual 2 would be good for a single subwoofer application, then you have two common choices for impedence, 1 or 4 ohm.

I have put two 15's in sealed boxes before into a tiny trunk, and it ******. I wanted to go ported, but space is limited in my ride.

A single D2 15" might be a good option too, if you have room to port it.
gotta be careful there too. a kicker L7 15 likes 6 cubes. a focal 16 does well in under 3 cubes. it varies.

well assuming i could do something like 4.5 cubic feet would 2 12's be overkill? i honestly dont want to ****up my car
it won't damage it too much. most people wouldn't be listening to 2 type r 12's at full tilt anyway in the right box very often. but, most people haven't heard them in a good 4 cubes tuned to 35hz. almost any 12 is impressive to someone who's only had prefab boxes. it's subjective. no way to tell if it'll be too much for you.

Humm, 2 type R's in a BMW seems like a waste of money. 1 properly powered should more than do the job! There again, it all depends on what the drivers wants. I use to run type R, trust me 1 will get it done.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.