Is this box too big for my Kicker L7's?

Participant count
  • Participant list

b52ravens
10+ year member

CT
I started building a box today for my dual kicker 12's. I'm not really sure if its too big but here are the specs

3/4 MDF

Dimensions (W x H x D): 38" x 14" x 26"

11-3/16" Square Cutouts

6" Wide Port

Slot-Port Tuned @ 34Hz

5.0ft^3 TOTAL Net Volume

That seems about right, but you can actually go bigger if you want. Assuming you port is the correct length, you're going to have 5.15ft^3 after its displacement. The volume is actually going to be a little less than 5ft^3 after sub displacement and any bracing you may be using(or should be using). I wouldn't go much larger unless you're planning on using less than rated power for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
phew, okay thanks a lot man lol. the box seemed really big when i was building it so i wanted to check if it was TOO big. and what do ya mean bracing?

hmm, that actually isn't near as big as optimum size. 4.5 per sub, if i remember correctly. and, what do you mean 6" wide port? how tall/deep? shoot for 60-65"^2 port area..

hmm, that actually isn't near as big as optimum size. 4.5 per sub, if i remember correctly. and, what do you mean 6" wide port? how tall/deep? shoot for 60-65"^2 port area..
4.5ft^3 per sub? Maybe if he's using just a couple hundred watts per sub. Using rated power there's really no reason to go over 3ft^3 each.

i'm going off memory without my cheat sheets, 6'^3 per 15..... ok, i just did some digging around, and stand corrected...... 3.25net each for the 12, and it does make a difference...... does anyone know where i can buy an oral foot-removal tool. this tastes bad now, lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.