Is this a good box for Re Audio XXX 12" Sub

REAudio2001
10+ year member

Michigan
This is the box 1" MDF 12" RE AUDIO XXX SUBWOOFER/SUB ENCLOSURE/BOX. You can see in my signature the box I have now. My subs cant play full tilt more than a minute without heating up the coils and smelling burnt. I talked to re audio and they said my box was the issue. I am pretty sure im not clipping, but not positive. I have no bass boost on, and the bass at 0 on head unit. Plus the gain is very low. I need an o scope as tunning them by voltage is impossible. Anyways I was thinking of getting 2 of these and putting 1 in each box. I would have to put one front facing and backed up against one rear facing due to trunk space. Anyways these boxes seem small anybody have any feedback on them?

That's a lot of cake to be spending on boxes! I have a really hard time believing that you're box at not even 5 cubes is causing this. Are they the new Re's or the old ones?

If you can build one yourself I would much rather go that route. With a sheet of wood only being $35 and you would only need one or two max, that seems way more easier on your wallet. Just have someone here design you an enclosure. Like Mobile Enclosures, Pro-Rabbit, Buck, Ram Designs...

I was thinking my box was ok too, but they said no. I guess ill look into getting another box made. I just wish I had more room for a bigger box.

For that price, I can do something much more efficient than a fatbox. It will not weigh as much either lol. And will suffice for the amount of power the XXXs supply. Shoot me an email if you want to talk about getting something going or not. Not to mention, that response curve is very inaccurate, minus it actually maybe having the right tuning peak. Not ratting on them, but for that price and possibly less, I can go through an extensive amount of calculations and variables to make sure it will work much more than a simple "tuning" design.

It does sound like you are actually reaching excursion limitations on the current box you have though. Maybe just above the tuning frequency at around 38Hz or so on full tilt. Is it in a trunk? If so, that is possible why you may not hear the clipping. Not saying it is, but it is the most common likely reason as of now. Excursion issues based on power limitations is the one that gets people the most, because they think that xmax is only reached below tuning, but not always true. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

i had the same issue with my sxx 10"s awhile back here i had the wrong rated fuses and i was over heating the coils by sending to much to the amp opps!!!
Interesting never heard of that. I have a 2600 watt amp that has no internal fuse. Anyone know what size I should be using in my inline fuse holder. I think im using a 250 to each amp.

Box has little impact on thermal power handling of your coils.

If you are making a pair of XXX's stink with "2600W" you're clipping the ***** ouf of that amp. Those subs should be able to handle that kind of power **** near forever.

Box has little impact on thermal power handling of your coils.
If you are making a pair of XXX's stink with "2600W" you're clipping the ***** ouf of that amp. Those subs should be able to handle that kind of power **** near forever.
Must be. I have 2 2600 watt amps, 1 to each sub. I will have to get a o-scope because I cannot tune them by voltage it never works. Still want a new box though.....lol they dont sound as they should!

Must be. I have 2 2600 watt amps, 1 to each sub. I will have to get a o-scope because I cannot tune them by voltage it never works. Still want a new box though.....lol they dont sound as they should!
understood. Just make sure that even though a new box will help with transience and output efficiency, disotrtion is measured different ways, and clipping on an amp will always be present regardless of loading on the subs if the system is not tuned properly. I wish I didnt already sell my Oscope a few weeks ago. :/ Would have given you a great price. But non-the-less, concentrate first on not clipping the amps but getting the best voltage from them, and then when you need a design.......you know where I am.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I can always work on the design in the meantime also. I emailed you recently with some info so Ill be around for that portion of the system when you need me.

OH, if you're throwing 2600W at a single sub that's your problem. That's a lot of heat and will exceed continuous thermal handling of anything. A new box won't prevent you from cooking coils with 2600W per sub.

Interesting never heard of that. I have a 2600 watt amp that has no internal fuse. Anyone know what size I should be using in my inline fuse holder. I think im using a 250 to each amp.
it was happening with my voice amp as well i had a 250 anl fuse the amp got hot and the speakers smelled like the were burning i removed that fuse and put a 100 and the amp gets a lil warm with no smell of burning speakers!!!

it was happening with my voice amp as well i had a 250 anl fuse the amp got hot and the speakers smelled like the were burning i removed that fuse and put a 100 and the amp gets a lil warm with no smell of burning speakers!!!
i just looked your amp up your suppose to use 200 amp external fuses!!!! not saying this will fix your problems but it could help!!!

OP, how much of your trunk are you willing to sacrifice for your box(es). If the GP in your pic is your car that is A LOT of trunk space (i have an 04 GP) i would think someone like Moble or one of the other builders here could design you 1 box for 2 subs or 2 separate boxes and still be within the width limits we have at the front most area of the trunk. If i remember correctly we have something like 48" left to right and like 16 bottom to top. only problem is you may have to install the box through the back seats instead of dropping it right in through the trunk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.