...Is this a Bad Idea?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Amazon.com: Atrend E12S B Box Series 12-Inch Single Hatchback Enclosures: Car Electronics

I wanna get a Polk DXI 12 from bestbuy because they're on sale for $40. I don't have the know how to build a custom box. And dont have the money to have someone else do it. The other alternative is buying a sub with the box off craigslist...which the average joe prob doesnt know squat about whether his sub and box are good for each other.

Im on a tight budget here. Help me out PLEASE. I care about SQ over SPL and love hip-hop but like Rock more.

Amazon.com: Atrend E12S B Box Series 12-Inch Single Hatchback Enclosures: Car Electronics

I wanna get a Polk DXI 12 from bestbuy because they're on sale for $40. I don't have the know how to build a custom box. And dont have the money to have someone else do it. The other alternative is buying a sub with the box off craigslist...which the average joe prob doesnt know squat about whether his sub and box are good for each other.

Im on a tight budget here. Help me out PLEASE. I care about SQ over SPL and love hip-hop but like Rock more.
before you buy that stuff, whats your budget?

hahaha...good question. Well I was trying to trade my bass guitar on craigslist for an amp/sub combo...but i might have a bit more money than I had thought.

For just the sub? Not more than $100 including enclosure.

I'm anticipating most of the money going towards the amp(s) and install, which is going to be a *****.

Also, do I need 2 RCA preouts or 3 if I'm just amping the fronts and sub?

I'll probably do one 4 way amp and bridge two channels for the sub...unless someone can convince me that 2 subs are necessary. Again, im not trying to shake every car around me...i care more about SQ, but I do want it adequately loud if im putting effort into this

Don't expect huge output from that sub and box combo. I'm not sure what you're used to so it may actually be sufficient in the end. If all you want is a sealed box than that atrend box will be fine. I had a dual 10 box from them and it was actually pretty decent quality for the amount I paid (I think it was sub 50).

im not used to anything...this would be my first install.

I'm in audio engineering (studio and live) but new to car audio. I realize car audio is a nightmare regarding accurate, balanced, good quality sound so I realize it will sound "fun" but I want it to sound decent as opposed to just crazy loud bass. Dont get me wrong, I want this thing to kick when I pound hip-hop but im not looking to kill everyone within a half mile radius with it.

I say go for it. $100 isn't much to lose out on of you don't like it. You can sell it on craigslist for cheap to make some back. I'd go with a slightly bigger box though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.