Is there really a difference with sound deadening material?

wet_rat
10+ year member

nc
Is the purpose of deadening material to keep outside sound out? I can see trying to dampen vibrations and rattling but have no insight on the purpose of "sound deadening"

Last edited by a moderator:
The way sound deadener has been marketed to the masses is misleading to say the least. It is best utilized to add mass to panels to change their resonant frequency.

To say it reduces road noise, is laughable at best. Also, all these people performing tests in videos where they knock on the panels, then try knocking after the deadener is applied are fairly useless too. I can stop a panel from ringing just by applying duct tape over it. Also, where does music cause a knocking sensation against one's sheet metal?

The proper way to reduce road noise is expensive, HEAVY, and still won't net one anything spectacular in terms of real world performance. First you would apply dampening materials to lower the panel resonance frequency. Next you would use closed cell foam, followed up by mass loaded vinyl. That starts to make things awfully heavy, and you still can't do jack about the noise transferred through your windows.

If anyone wants to truly impress me, show me where the in-cabin road noise measured gets reduced by 20 or more decibels from applying deadener, foam, and mass loaded vinyl.

Yeah.. Sound Deadening can make a huge difference.

Vibration damping on its own is not designed to reduce road noise and such, but it willreduce it, even if only by a small amount.

Anything you put between the souce of the noise, and your ears, will, to some degree, help reduce noise.

Different types of material will yield different results but EVERYTHING will reduce noise to some degree.

When it comes to reducing unwanted airborne noise from tires, exhaust, and the engine the best product is the one that has the highes density.

A barrier with a minimum of 1 lb psf decoupled with a layer of air, or less dense material like foam, is ideal. Vinyl is the most popular, but lead is the best (more mass in less space = better density for sound deadening_ but since lead is so expensive, mass loaded vinyl is the go to material.

Decoupled MLV barreirs are idea because they are cheaper and easy to work with.

There are lots of great products out there

For vibration damping:

Dynamat Extreme

Hushmat

Raammat

Stinger Road Kill

SDS

Second Skin Damplifier & Damplifier Pro - The company for which I own

Most companies above also sell a mass loaded vinyl or barrer type product.

Remember, Minimum 1 lb per square foot, decoupled with foam.

ANT

so is it safe to say that sound deadening is for the higher end systems? I am doing a mid level build in my daily driver and haven't been able to justify the cost of material, but is that due to being uneducated or is it that it isn't necessary for my build?

so is it safe to say that sound deadening is for the higher end systems? I am doing a mid level build in my daily driver and haven't been able to justify the cost of material, but is that due to being uneducated or is it that it isn't necessary for my build?
Sound deadener is an integral part of any decent install in my opinion. If you can't justify the purchase of deadener, you're in the wrong hobby.

Idk just today i went to a liquor store and i got out and the dude working ran outside and was like "DUDE IS THAT YOUR TRUCK WITH THE SUBS?" ( is caps because he was screaming.. basically) I said yeah and he asked if i had Dynamat and i said no i can't afford it at the moment.. He said " Dude you should get that **** its like adding 1000 more watts, it works really well with my Kicker CVR's." Now im almost certain this guy isn't a credible source but kinda got me thinking if it really makes that much of a difference.. 1000 extra watts would be a 3db gain for me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Idk just today i went to a liquor store and i got out and the dude working ran outside and was like "DUDE IS THAT YOUR TRUCK WITH THE SUBS?" ( is caps because he was screaming.. basically) I said yeah and he asked if i had Dynamat and i said no i can't afford it at the moment.. He said " Dude you should get that **** its like adding 1000 more watts, it works really well with my Kicker CVR's." Now im almost certain this guy isn't a credible source but kinda got me thinking if it really makes that much of a difference.. 1000 extra watts would be a 3db gain for me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
:facepalm:

I'm not quite certain on if that means im an idiot.. or idk.. Just saying i was thinking about if it really did anything.. ive read few threads and claim the dynamat or whatever deadener they use helped output.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I kind worded that paragraph weird to

Sound deadener is an integral part of any decent install in my opinion. If you can't justify the purchase of deadener, you're in the wrong hobby.
oh so when you decided to get into audio you knew everything there was to know about it? This is just that , a hobby, I am attempting to educate myself so I can justify it, not looking for smart asses that, obviously by what I read, are scammers anyway. If you don't want to offer positive feedback maybe you should take your attitude elsewhere--DIKK!!!

oh so when you decided to get into audio you knew everything there was to know about it? This is just that , a hobby, I am attempting to educate myself so I can justify it, not looking for smart asses that, obviously by what I read, are scammers anyway. If you don't want to offer positive feedback maybe you should take your attitude elsewhere--DIKK!!!
No need to get pissy, new fish. What I said wasn't a personal attack on your character.

And no, I didn't know everything when I first started out. I was lucky enough to have a knowledgeable brother to teach me a hell of a lot. Not everyone has that luxury, but you can learn a lot with online research. But if you want to bitch, I'll bitch with you. I'm bored and have nothing better to do right now.

And how the fuck am I a scammer, new fish? You need to learn to mind your p's and q's or you wont last long around here.

Your the biggest *** on the entire internet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Little faggot called me a scammer.

I'll make it my personal mission to troll the piss out of this dumb **** from here on out. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.