Is there really a difference with sound deadening material?

its not going to add watts you will just be able to hear whats already there alot better and it should always be done in any install
That can also work in reverse. Some SPL competitors have been known to LOSE a few dB after applying sound deadening. YMMV, but it doesn't always work out to one's advantage!

i dont think of it as sound deadner i think of it as this will make my **** "stay together/not flex apart as bad" i dont give a **** about road noise lol i just turn my music up

gunz4me I will have to disagree with you somewhat, I have driven many 'project' cars at times with no headliner, carpet, door panels, etc and it is LOUD in side, does putting all the **** back in quiet it down 20db? I dunno, but its a huge difference, your car should be pretty deadend to the max anyways.

I'd only use deadener if I were to go the length to add foam and MLV to the vehicle as well. But that's only because my car has wickedly loud road noise. I wouldn't use otherwise.

gunz4me I will have to disagree with you somewhat, I have driven many 'project' cars at times with no headliner, carpet, door panels, etc and it is LOUD in side, does putting all the **** back in quiet it down 20db? I dunno, but its a huge difference, your car should be pretty deadend to the max anyways.
Did you take pre/post deadening measurements or are you another one of those "It makes a difference to me because I hear a difference" individuals?

Of course your car will transfer more road noise without the headliner, carpet, door panels, etc. All that stuff was put there by the car manufacturers for reasons other than looks. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

100% coverage of deadening material does do more than the strategic method people like Rudy and Foxpro discuss here a lot, nobody questions that. The crux of the argument is when do you reach the point of diminishing returns on your investment.

Vehicle interior pieces many times are made of materials much better suited for blocking/absorbing road noise than traditional deadening mat is. Carpet and carpet backing, foam headliner, even the seats help absorb road noise.

The only issue I have with 100% coverage versus partial coverage versus no coverage is the total lack of scientific testing to back up the claimed assertion of reduced road noise from sound deadening alone. Most of the explanations regarding deadening seem to be online accounts of people saying that they hear a difference yet they can do nothing to quantify or prove the difference that they are claiming.

Next there will be individuals bragging about how simply swapping amplifiers extended their stage 14.756" outside the windows of their automobiles or something.

I bought some stuff from home depot. the RV sealant sh*t that another guy on here told me about. 30 bucks to do the entire inside of my car. Its just as loud when im driving but it doesnt resonate nearly as much. When I crank my music it also helps with the rattling.

Nothing spectacular happened after but it did exactly what I wanted it to. With that said the road noise is still there but idc about that because if your music isnt louder than outside youre in the wrong hobby anyway

all i know is before the deadner i had rattles that made my bass sound like ****,and after the deadner nice smooth bass but i also drive a 75 impala big trunk all metal ,a newer car may have pretty good stock deading or if you have no trunk it might not be as important

thanks for some responses related to the topic. I guess I'm not the only one who can't justify using the deadening materials.....guess there's a bunch of us that should find another hobby, huh??

In comparing butyl vs asphalt type or others, its night and day. Go with butyl regardless of brand. Spend the little extra and get the best its well worth it and absolutly makes a difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.