Is smoke a bad sign?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ace7733
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
USA
Ok, I have a four channel alpine amp hooked to (2) kenwood excelon 6.5's and (2) kenwood excelon 6x9's. I sold my old alpine 7873 to this guy I work with and my new 7995 isn't in yet. So I decided to put my factory deck back in. Well I snapped the 2 plugs into it, no problem and hooked the antenna up too. It came on, but no sound. So I unhooked the AV cables from my amp that were hooked to deck. Still nothing. Then the factory deck starts smoking. So I unhook it. Afterwards I notice my amp light is not on.

Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Mybe it was just too heavy of a load for the factory deck to handle.. I am not positive on that..But your deck is definately done.. as far as the amp light not being on that can be because of many things but most likely it was because your deck got cooked.

Mike

I had the factory deck hooked up with that amp before I got my 7873.

Do you think my amp is ok?

Any way I could fix that factory deck? I will need it when I sell my car!

Unless you are really good with electronics you're not going to be able to fix that deck by yourself, and it will cost AT LEAST 50 bucks to have it repaired by a "professional". Actually, if you do it by yourself, just open it up, and you'll see what's toasted and replace it.

I doubt it's worth it though. When you sell your car used, a stereo will make little difference in resale value, unless it's already worth 5 grand or above. I have two factory decks laying around--you want those? Come and get them!

Well it lights up and everything, but it starts smoking whenever I hook it up. Me and my friend hooked it up again tonight, with the amp disconnected and it started getting hot again. The display comes on and everything, but it starts getting too hot.

The reason I had no sound was b/c, I didn't hook the hi/lo input or something like that back to my amp, which if I understand this right, basically takes the place of my RCA cables which went to the Alpine.

So. The only thing I can think of is, that when I took it out the first time, there a ground wire screwed into the deck. Maybe I should screw that back to it?!? I don't know. I asked my dad, who knows nothing about car audio, but is a certified electrician and he said not having a ground would make it LESS likely to start smoking.

One more thing. When I plug it in, you can smell it getting hot. It smells like a soldering tool.

Oh and I had the amp checked today...it was OK.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.