Is my amp powerful enough

Eric270
10+ year member

Hello, Im new to these forums and i have a question for those who are more experienced than i am...

Ive been running my system for about 5 months now and havent had a problem until the other day. One of my two subs quit working entirely. I took it to the local Audio shop and the guy told me it was probably a tinsel lead, and it was under warrenty so luckily i got it replaced. I told him i was running my GAIN setting at 2/3 of the way to the max and he told me thats way too much and couldve been part of the reason that my sub quit working. He then told me to get a bigger amp. Heres my setup running at 2 Ohms.

2 Hertz ES300 (RMS 350W Peak 700W)

Audison SR 1D (460Watts RMS at 2 Ohms)

Would a bigger amp prevent the subs from breaking in the future?

Would I notice a substantial difference in performance from my subs?

Thanks for all of your opinions!

You're amp is way too weak for the subs you're running. If your subs are 350 rms a piece that means your amp should be putting out about 700 rms. Since yours is only putting out 460 you're falling 240 watts short. I think you'd be good with a decent mono block like maybe a Kicker 750. Would put 375 to each sub and it's a relatively inexpensive and good amp IMO. Otherwise you could run your amp at 1 ohm but I'm not sure if an Audison is stable like that (doubt it). Hope this helps....

So the setup you have according to the guy at the shop said that your amp could of been then reason you sub quit working cause its to much power but recommends buying a bigger amp. That doesnt make any since what so ever just sounds like he wants your money to me.

I don't think he's he's beating on the subs with power. I think he might be getting a clipped signal. That'll mess up a sub as well..... Not very familiar with Hertz subs unless they're really garbage the manufacturers are usually pretty good at putting the correct rms rating on their products.

And it would be nice to hear what the subs are as far as coil configuration? 4 ohm, 2 ohm? DVC, SVC? There's a number of ways you can wire your subs to get more from your amp as long as it can take it.

What u have is a nice sq oriented sub stage. I mean that amp and sub combo is fine "just stop cooking your coils" I think you are wanting more from your setup then it can provide. Hertz and Audison are quality brands and are in the top tier of their target audience.

but going by what you said earlier about underpowering them . I do that all the time. Like most people do im sure everytime someone listens to there system they dont have it cranked full blast just to get the correct about that a sub says it can handle. Meaning that you dont have the radio turned up in volume to send full power to subs

On another topic: Hey Disturbed, how you likin' yours Skar's? We've got a distributor here in Tulsa that sells em for about $20 bucks less than than SSA (or anyone else). I am really intrigued! From the youtube vids I've seen those are some monsters!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.