Is it ok to run sub without dustcap?

mr_imperial
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hello ca.com i was just riding and heard a wierd rattling noise from my sub and at first i thought it was tinsel slap or something like that but when i looked at the sub there was a huge hole in the dustcap. So i just tore off the rest of it and baow no more rattles. but my question is, is it damaging the sub any to play it with out a dustcap? And where/how should i go about buying a new one thnks.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

i'm sure someone will give you one... what kind of sub is it? I have a few inverted dustcaps from 12's that i've recently torn apart...

I've got a Shocker dustcap and an American Bass XD dustcap if you are interested, maybe someone has a dustcap like yours and will hook you up.

You can, but it's a little like running you car w/o an air filter. Any debris larger than dust could get lodged between the coil and the pole piece and mess stuff up in a hurry.

Partsexpress sells dust caps for a couple bux.

thanks for the reply. I was just looking around and saw where you could buy some blanks but im going to post a thread in the wtb/wtt area. If anyone has any blank ones for a 12 ill buy it!

i've been playing my MT for months now without one. when i first hooked it up the dustcap blew off and i haven't gotten around to re-gluing it. mostly because i have it mounted inverted and i don't feel like unscrewing it. it's doing just fine....

just saw you live in GA. if you're ever in north georgia (alpharetta) i got a couple i can give ya...

i've been playing my MT for months now without one. when i first hooked it up the dustcap blew off and i haven't gotten around to re-gluing it. mostly because i have it mounted inverted and i don't feel like unscrewing it. it's doing just fine....

just saw you live in GA. if you're ever in north georgia (alpharetta) i got a couple i can give ya...
dang im in macon and soon to be back in statesboro but thanks

SSA Icon's are known for that apparently!!! Everyone I've had and that friends have had, the dustcaps come off much sooner than they should. Four total to be exact all in a span of 1.5 years.

V.

^

i don't want to start a flame war but teampsi's generic dustcaps are kinda wimpy. that's part of the reason why mine flew off; i couldn't put enough weight on it while the epoxy was curing. you can practically fold them in half. my old RE dust caps could support my truck haha.

but i guess it depends on what sub you're running (MTs have notorious back pressure) and how much power you're giving it.

SSA Icon's are known for that apparently!!! Everyone I've had and that friends have had, the dustcaps come off much sooner than they should. Four total to be exact all in a span of 1.5 years.
V.
yea i know why mine did tho. I had an idiot who wanted to buy it then pushed on it and dented it. I saw him do it and really didnt feel like arguing so i just acted like i didnt then the guy has the nerve to ask me "what happened here" I just looked at him and laughed:laugh: ever since then it was really flimsy

I've noticed many people using glue that isn't optimal for dust caps... "hard" glues don't work the best for this.

I suggest using "Goop" from Lowes... I have NEVER had one come off glued with that and it is readily available.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.