Is it bad to max the bass adjustment on the HU?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Umbra

Hobbyist & CA Tenderfoot
Here's my setup. It's a little confusing, I apologize:

My HU has three sets of preamp outputs. I use two of them; one for front and rear stereo, component speakers, one for my subs. If I ran three sets of RCA cables I could have seperate outputs or the front and rear speakers and utilize fade, but I didn't care enough to do that. There's a setting on the amp that uses the front input for the rear as well.

So the HU goes to two amps. One for speakers, one for subs. Between the HU and amps I have two PAC LC-1, one for each set of RCAs. These knobs let me adjust the signal sent to the amps on the fly. I use the sub one as a bass knob and typically leave the speaker one alone unless I want to max the bass output, but the song is too loud, in which case I'd turn it down a little. I like to think of the HU volume knob as the master volume and I use the bass knob to quickly adjust the amps relative to one another.

Here's where I begin to question my setup. The HU (all my gear is in my sig) has a bunch of settings of its own. I had the knobs with a crappier HU prior, but liked them so I kept them, even with the more advanced replacement. Plus it's easier to adjust a physical knob than to go into the menus with a click-wheel and tinker. The HU has an adjustment for "bass", "mids" (I believe that's what it's labeled as), and "treble" I couldn't tell you what frequencies these adjust; it doesn't seem to say it in the manual, only that you can select the frequency on the more advanced model. Each of these goes from -8 to +8; default is 0. You can select them to your liking as a "custom" EQ. There's also preset EQs for various types of music. These simply skew the after mentioned levels to better suite the music. In addition, there's also loudness, bass boost, and subwoofer level. I don't use any of these, though.

When I set up my amps I turned the LC-1 knobs all the way up as well as the volume knob on the head unit. I also set the EQ to "powerful" because those had the highest values for the different frequencies (i.e. +8 to bass). That way, my girlfriend could theoretically turn everything up and put powerful EQ on without blowing anything, I'd just tell her not to touch SW level, bass boost, or loudness; I wouldn't have to get more technical than that.

The HPF on my sub amp is set to 70Hz and I believe my speakers are set to 80Hz, though I might play with these settings, maybe bump up the subs to 80 and see how it sounds. of course I'll have to redo the gains. I've been doing those with a sine wave generator app via digital input and an oscilloscope. Even with everything maxed and +8 bass on, nothing's clipping.

Here's what I'm pondering, and why I made this thread. The bass adjustment on the HU affects both amps. The way I set it, I need the HU volume, the LC-1 knob, and the bass setting on the HU to all be maxed to achieve maximum output for the subs, but that +8 setting still affects the speakers. I've tested various frequencies: 40, 45, 50, 60, 70, 75, 1000hz, etc to make sure they the speakers do not receive a clipped signal at any time with the HU set like this - and they don't. I definitely feel more of a bump from them when they're given +8 bass (I assume from somewhere around the 75Hz range), but I intended them to act as speakers, not necessarily midbass drivers. It this detrimental to the speakers, or the maybe the sound quality? Should I redo my settings and leave the EQ flat?

I apologize for the long, technical read. Any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I forgot I read something in the manual last night before I fell asleep that might might clear some things up, but I need it explained. Under the specs there's a section under "Audo" called "Tone Action". It lists the following:

Bass: 100Hz ± 8 dB

Middle: 1kHz ± 8db

Treble: 12.5kHz ± 8 dB

What does this mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea about that deck but on Alpines the sub level has to be up to make rated preout voltage
Thanks, I didn't think of that. I'll have to take another look at the manual and/or test the voltage with a DMM.

If it isn't clipping and you like the way it sounds don't worry about it.
It doesn't sound bad at all. I just can't comprehend how a speaker can play both the lows and high's in its range simultaneously without degrading the sound, but then again I don't understand the complexities of speaker physics.

If turn up the speaker amp LPF a bit more to get away from the low midbass the effect of turning up the bass level would probably be lessened, but then again I don't know if raising the HPF of the subs to pick up the slack would sound good either.

ttt

It's nice out. If I'm going to be fiddling around in the driveway today would be a good day to do it.

I added an edit to my original post.

Those "tone" listings in the manual are the frequencies that ur HU is affecting when u adjust the bass, mids, and treble. So when ur bass is +8, ur adding +8 to the level at 100hz... so that's not even affecting ur subs much, if ur low pass is set at 70.... the season ur highs/mids still sound fine is because they went receiving frequencies under 80, since u have ur hpf set at 80... I would personally have the subs on the dedicated sub out rca from the knewood, but if ur not going fever adjust the sub output level via HUu and just use the knob, I guess it doesn't matter too much. I would say to increase ur sub to 80 tho. So ur at least covering those frequencies....

Those "tone" listings in the manual are the frequencies that ur HU is affecting when u adjust the bass, mids, and treble. So when ur bass is +8, ur adding +8 to the level at 100hz... so that's not even affecting ur subs much, if ur low pass is set at 70.... the season ur highs/mids still sound fine is because they went receiving frequencies under 80, since u have ur hpf set at 80... I would personally have the subs on the dedicated sub out rca from the knewood, but if ur not going fever adjust the sub output level via HUu and just use the knob, I guess it doesn't matter too much. I would say to increase ur sub to 80 tho. So ur at least covering those frequencies....
Thanks. I guessed that much, but I'm confused because when I listen to decaf songs with heavy frequencies in the 30-40Hz ranges they're also affected by adjusting the bass level. I can't imagine it affect only the 100Hz frequency, but that's probably the "center" of what it covers and as you move away from it it's affected less and less - like a slope, but I don't know the specifics and that's just a guess.

The sub amp is on the sub output. There's just an RCA knob between the HU's output and the amp's input, so I can reduce the signal on the fly.

I'm going to up the sub's LPF to 80 because I want to see if I can get a little more punch out of them. I've read the resonant frequency of the male chest cavity is ~80 and while my subs get plenty loud I don't really feel it in my chest. Don't know how true it is, but might as well try it and see.

Ur exactly right on the bass adjustment. Either a 12 or 24 db slope... I run my subs up to 120. But I'm lacking any sort of enclosures for my mids as my doors still need a lot of reinforcement and deadening. But play around with it, its not on a hurt anything as long as u don't send ur subs frq over 200 or so... BTW, sorry if my posts are hard to read, my tablet is acting funny and seemingly making me type like I've lost 70 IQ points and can't spell.... :/

Ur exactly right on the bass adjustment. Either a 12 or 24 db slope... I run my subs up to 120. But I'm lacking any sort of enclosures for my mids as my doors still need a lot of reinforcement and deadening. But play around with it, its not on a hurt anything as long as u don't send ur subs frq over 200 or so... BTW, sorry if my posts are hard to read, my tablet is acting funny and seemingly making me type like I've lost 70 IQ points and can't spell.... :/
Thanks again. I've learned a few things in this thread. I'm going to look into if the SW level needs to be all the way up to output full volume. I'm going to up the subs LPF to 80 and the speakers to 80, maybe even 90 to leave a bit of a gap again. I might just tell her to leave the EQ flat always or risk damaging things, but that's no fun either. The speakers play down to 63Hz, so as long as they're not being clipped, a high amplitude in the 70s or 80s wouldn't hurt them, right? Maybe?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.