? Is a simple single din system, affordable.

Participant count
  • Participant list

bigguy2211

Sorry if this has been asked but I apologize.

What is a good single din cheap car stereo?

I'm wanting to buy a CD player for my 1986 Chevy S10, I had an older Alpine single din in it, my younger brother let me have, the CD player would work sometimes and wouldn't, I didn't care it was free. I had a bad car accident recently and I couldn't drive my S10 for three months, and the Alpine had something happen to it, no sound comes from any speaker, the unit works, the menus come up but no sound at all.

I replaced the Alpine with the factory delco cassette player that came in it, but I want something that plays cd's. I've done a lot of looking and reading online and the problem I face is, I just want a unit that has a touch screen, USB, SD card slot, and a aux port and all I find about a unit I am interested in is, its crap. I am not going to be hooking up amps or subs, just to the factory speakers that came in my truck and I'm happy.

Right now I'm drawing a check from workers compensation, my workplace is going to fire me after the doctors release me off my medical release, so ill have no job and so I don't have a big budget and really shouldn't be spending money on a radio for my truck but the idea of having a new toy is awesome. I'm looking at a budget of $50-$100 but I could go up to $150 but really not comfortable with that. All I want to do is be able to listen to a CD, have other ways to listen to music also, maybe have the convenience of hands free phone calling, I am not hooking up a thousand dollar system. I appreciate your help.

touch screen and single din arnt normally together, double dins have touch.

JVC units are great for the price, or lower end pioneer/alpines. I would guess ull spend 85-120

any entry level JVC, pioneer, kenwood, or alpine headunit with CD and bluetooth capability will do what you want for less than $150.

shop around on amazon and look at the specs, see what looks best to you, but make sure you learn about connecting the wiring harness properly so you get all your speakers working.

not sure about a SD or microSD card slot on these, but they have USB so you can use a flash drive, your phone, or whatever other usb source.

edit: @hispls beat me to it

I have read where Boss products are crap but was wondering if the way I plan on using a stereo, would a Boss unit work for a while. Really no disrespect, none at all but the Alpine my brother let me use, it not playing cd's like it should and my parents have a double din Alpine unit in their truck, and it randomly flips screens, mutes itself, stops playing cd's while it was playing them, has made me want to question Alpine products.

There is so many more brands that have came onto the market since I bought a single din pioneer back fifteen years ago (I eneded up giving that one to my dad to put into his 1981 Z28 Camaro he restored), I'm lost. I partial to Pioneer, I know JVC, Kenwood, Alpine, Clarion, and Sony where the good brands I believed back fifteen years ago roughly but now I'm lost.

When I bought that Pioneer then, all I wanted was a remote, satellite radio, and play cd's. Just happy with being able to play cd's again.

I put this on a wish list on WM website:

Boss Audio BV7348B In-Dash Single-DIN DVD/CD/Bluetooth Receiver with 3.2" LCD Screen

Boss Audio BV7348B In-Dash Single-DIN DVD/CD/Bluetooth Receiver with 3.2" LCD Screen - Walmart.com

And this one:

Boss Audio BV9979B Single-DIN DVD/CD Receiver with 7" Digital TFT Monitor and Bluetooth

Boss Audio BV9979B Single-DIN DVD/CD Receiver with 7" Digital TFT Monitor and Bluetooth - Walmart.com

I'm poor to begin with and soon to be jobless. I do really good to pay just to pay the bills and get by. I want something that would last a while, I have no knowledge of car stereo's. I've wired a few up in vehicles I've owned but that's about it.

You guys are awesome, I feel very welcomed, I appreciate your help. I'm some what knowledgeable about Jeep Wranglers and I support the brand all I can, alot like you guys support the hobby of car stereo systems. I appreciate your help

I have read where Boss products are crap but was wondering if the way I plan on using a stereo, would a Boss unit work for a while. Really no disrespect, none at all but the Alpine my brother let me use, it not playing cd's like it should and my parents have a double din Alpine unit in their truck, and it randomly flips screens, mutes itself, stops playing cd's while it was playing them, has made me want to question Alpine products.
There is so many more brands that have came onto the market since I bought a single din pioneer back fifteen years ago (I eneded up giving that one to my dad to put into his 1981 Z28 Camaro he restored), I'm lost. I partial to Pioneer, I know JVC, Kenwood, Alpine, Clarion, and Sony where the good brands I believed back fifteen years ago roughly but now I'm lost.

When I bought that Pioneer then, all I wanted was a remote, satellite radio, and play cd's. Just happy with being able to play cd's again.

I put this on a wish list on WM website:

Boss Audio BV7348B In-Dash Single-DIN DVD/CD/Bluetooth Receiver with 3.2" LCD Screen

Boss Audio BV7348B In-Dash Single-DIN DVD/CD/Bluetooth Receiver with 3.2" LCD Screen - Walmart.com

And this one:

Boss Audio BV9979B Single-DIN DVD/CD Receiver with 7" Digital TFT Monitor and Bluetooth

Boss Audio BV9979B Single-DIN DVD/CD Receiver with 7" Digital TFT Monitor and Bluetooth - Walmart.com

I'm poor to begin with and soon to be jobless. I do really good to pay just to pay the bills and get by. I want something that would last a while, I have no knowledge of car stereo's. I've wired a few up in vehicles I've owned but that's about it.
No do not buy boss, just dont do it. Its like lighting money on fire.....

Sounds like your parents alpine was installed wrong, there solid products. Your looking to stay cheap, here look at this

JVC KD-R460 (kdr460) Single DIN In-Dash CD/AM/FM Receiver w/ Aux

Comes with free dash install kit and install extras, great site. If your looking to stay cheaper then that, look at used ones instead of the cheapest new units.

It was, it was the sorriest shop to ever have a system installed. My dad always has wanted a Hummer H2T, he couldn't ever get one when they where new, he found this used 05 model and the previous owner had that sorry shop put it in.

The one my brother let me have, it wouldnt play cd's correctly, it was an 08 model Alpine. Before my wreck, it played through all four speakers, then after three months of healing and not being Able to drive, I go out and crank my truck and no sound at all, I fooled around with it, read i could factory reset it and tried that, and still no sound.

It was, it was the sorriest shop to ever have a system installed. My dad always has wanted a Hummer H2T, he couldn't ever get one when they where new, he found this used 05 model and the previous owner had that sorry shop put it in.
The one my brother let me have, it wouldnt play cd's correctly, it was an 08 model Alpine. Before my wreck, it played through all four speakers, then after three months of healing and not being Able to drive, I go out and crank my truck and no sound at all, I fooled around with it, read i could factory reset it and tried that, and still no sound.
Could have shorted out or something during the wreck, there not bulletproof but who knows. You may have an issue with the speakers even with this new one.

Have you considered pull the deck out and checking the wires with a meter? Just to be certain the unit isnt putting power out

I took you folks advice and I narrowed it down to three brands at my local Walmart store, JVC, Kenwood, or my old favorite, Pioneer. They had a Dual xdma760 I believe on sale from $229 to $124, I picked it up and looked and was considering it but then I thought, listen to what everyone told you, so I asked to get a Pioneer out of the case. I ended up really liking the Pioneer Deh-x6810bt after fooling with the display model, it has most of what I wanted and on a poor man's budget, $117.99 and $124 something with tax, it has Bluetooth streaming, phone calling, USB, aux jack and a whole lot of other features I may never use but wanted. I was about to go with the JVC they had but I really liked how you can change the colors on the one I bought, the JVC didn't offer that. The only thing the one I bought doesn't have is a touch screen or LCD, (a small TV like screen is what I referring to), and no SD card slot, but I can take a card reader and plug into the USB plug I think, more than likely I'll get myself a USB stick when I can get me another job.

Right now I'm hoping I can get this stereo paid offoff, I put it on a credit card, and like I stated, I am not going to have a job pretty soon, and the workers compensation, they are wanting me off it bad, got to eat for sure and pay the rent but for sure, I'd like to eat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.