Is 250 watts enough??

You can hurt the sub underpowering or overpowering it. You can clip a signal even if your running at less than the subs recommended RMS. Depending on the sub you can also supply more power than recommended and not damage the sub if its a clean, unclipped signal.
You can't hurt a driver by 'underpowering it'.... and just because you have more power then a driver is rated for does not mean you are 'overpowering it' either....

Frankly a sub or any other speaker dosen't give a shit if the amp powering it is clipping... only if thermal or mechanical limits are being exceeded... and I don't care if you overdrive that JL to the point its producing square wave, you would be hard pressed to damage that sub...

That is a Champion Series, not a Champion Pro.
It is 400w RMS.

See if its dual 2 or dual 4 ohm on the back. That looks like either a Pioneer 307D2 or a 307D4.

I wouldn't give it over 500w clean. They're great subwoofers for what they are, I used to run a pair in a ported box that was a bit on the small side and they played great.
No, it says premier on the front, it is NOT 400 rms. Trust me, these pioneer subs are everywhere in NZ, both types, and this is not the small one.

In my opinion, yes it's enough.. You got a bargain basement subwoofer. Do you really expect that it can handle say 500 watts? It'd be great if it can handle the power you have without sounding sloppy. As long as you don't overdrive your amplifier, the subwoofer should work fine. If you don't overdrive the amplifier, then it shouldn't matter how much power your subwoofer can handle. If you're in doubt, use the DMM method to set amplifier gain. I have powered 300 and 350 watt (RMS) subs with 250watt amplifier with no problems. Please read the documentation of the amplifier. I assume the frequency knob controls the subwoofer's low pass frequency. This usually should not be at the max. Start with 80Hz, and don't go higher than that. I assume the db knob is bass boost. It's useless. Usually it boosts the wrong frequency (40-50Hz, this already has a huge natual boost in a closed cabin). I suggest to set it to zero. Amplifier gain knob is the one that's hard to set with precision. I listen the kind of music where the subwoofer only plays the sub bass portion of acoustic (kick) drum and the deepest notes of bass guitar, so it really doesn't matter much how much power I can send to the sub. I just set gains by ear. If you listen rap or similar and want to drive your subwoofer at the maximum output possible but without overdriving it or amplifier, then you must use the DMM method.
No, it is not a bargain basement subwoofer. It might be towards the lower end, but it'll take a solid beating on 900 watts rms if set up right. Then you told me you set your gains by ear and I stopped reading.

No, it says premier on the front, it is NOT 400 rms. Trust me, these pioneer subs are everywhere in NZ, both types, and this is not the small one.

No, it is not a bargain basement subwoofer. It might be towards the lower end, but it'll take a solid beating on 900 watts rms if set up right. Then you told me you set your gains by ear and I stopped reading.
Oh, please.. nothing wrong with that unless you're trying to extract every db out of your system. There is a long list of issues with setting gains by DMM as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.