Interesting electrical problem, car wont start.

Starter solenoid may be bad. Starter could also be bad. Has something to do with the resistance the solenoid builds up after it get worn out. It's very similar to what happens to a electric window motor when it goes bad. Sometime it'll work and sometimes not, the problem will probably get worse until fixed.
Thats what im thinkin as well...

Thats what im thinkin as well...
what would cause this to happen?

If it happens just from regular wear and tear, i dont think this would be the case, just for the fact that the car has barely been used.

However, the car did sit for a while if that can effect it. She bought it from an old-lady neighbor who originally bought it for her granddaughter, but the car was left after the granddaughter went to college, and was just kept in a garage.

its a 99.5 with 48k miles on it.

well here is a funny story about them doing a load test they tesy=ted wifes battery said it was fine so i replaced the alt.. 2 days later car wouldnt start again so i took the battery back low and behold all of a suddent the battery is bad bought the new one and the car has not had one problem i just dont trust them testing stuff...

The starter is probably a ten year old part. Considering year of the car, the starter was at least built a few months before the car.

yes, i understand that....

i asked what causes a solenoid to go bad? do they go bad over time, or is it a wear and tear deal or what?

This cars more immaculate than my 02 avalanche, and im paranoid about my crap.

if the battery isn't the issue then trace out the factory power and ground wiring. Wiring may be corroded where you can't see it. Had this happen on a blazer I had a few years back and it was only a few years old at the time.

My vote is for a bad ground, either from the bat to frame, or from engine to frame.10 years of corrosion ftl
Well ill take a look at her car tomorrow for corrosion and test the battery.

However, when i say immaculate, i meant it haha. Maybe i should take some pics for you guys to understand.

Anyways, thanks for the help everyone. Ill prolly take the battery out and put it in my truck and see if i can get my truck to turn over and start. If not, i'll snag a new battery and keep an eye on it. Then, if that goes down the drain, i'll look into the solenoid.

Cars go bad over time and with wear and tear. Both probably caused this problem. Sadly part of having a car is that things break, sometimes allot. It's just par for the course. Not really a preventable problem, there's no starter solenoid maintenance.

I just went through the same thing with a pick-up. When we were jumping it off I noticed the ground glowing at the block. cleaned it up and haven't had a problem since.

Take the car to a auto parts store, have them "load test" the battery. They should do the test for free, takes only a few minutes. Battery can be tested in the car.
Exactly! This did not require a thread at all //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just take the vehicle to an auto store. They can test the battery, the alternator and the starter for free! More than we could ever determine here. If they all check out, then it requires discussion //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Exactly! This did not require a thread at all //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Just take the vehicle to an auto store. They can test the battery, the alternator and the starter for free! More than we could ever determine here. If they all check out, then it requires discussion //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
yup yup! if they say the battery is fine and holds a charge add distilled water and two aspirin tablets! worked like a charm for me! i had the same axact problems on my truck!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.