installing a turbo

does he already havea tbe, fuel pump, IC upgrade, blowoff valve upgrade, mbc, datalogger, boost gauge? all that stuff is necessary before cyhanging the turbo, or else it won't do any good. a huge turbo breathing throuhg a stock exhaust will make no power. also, a larger turbo will heatsoak the stock IC within 2 pulls on a warm day. the stock blowoff valve leaks at more than 12psi, so it must be changed. fuel pump must be changed to keep up with the demands of the larger turbo. also, you'll need a way to control the larger injectors, either old school with an safc or step up to dsm link. either wya works, but there are disadvantages to both.

the side mount intercooler is not rated for more that 15psi anymore and that will cause back pressure making huge turbo lag beside that the exhuast will not be as free flowin. and u will need a bigger oil pump more HP more oil is needed and bigger oil reaturn lines to the turbo back to oil pan ....as for the bigger injectors 650cc at the least....and u will need a mp senser over ride u just simply splice this in the wires so the compuer wont go ape **** with more boost than the computer is tuned for... u can have the computer dyno tuned for the increased fuel curve, but a full out computer from jet will be much better..bigger turbo needs a bigger exhuast manifold the flang on the bigger turbo wont match that little G18s. in most cases the bigger turbos will need a wastegate just in case of to much exhuast pressure witch will cuase the turbines to melt from excessive heat build up. ur gonna need a new head u get the air in u got to get it back out... im very doutful that the stock internals will handle a big amounts of boost,. ur gonna need a better clutch with that much more HP that other clutch will burn out stage 3 at least... there is more but not gonna evern go any ferther in to it....its alot more that ur thinkin u better look into it further i was a huge tuner and turboed ever turd burner i ever owned. i know what a pain in the ass they are.

the side mount intercooler is not rated for more that 15psi anymore and that will cause back pressure making huge turbo lag beside that the exhuast will not be as free flowin. and u will need a bigger oil pump more HP more oil is needed and bigger oil reaturn lines to the turbo back to oil pan ....as for the bigger injectors 650cc at the least....and u will need a mp senser over ride u just simply splice this in the wires so the compuer wont go ape **** with more boost than the computer is tuned for... u can have the computer dyno tuned for the increased fuel curve, but a full out computer from jet will be much better..bigger turbo needs a bigger exhuast manifold the flang on the bigger turbo wont match that little G18s. in most cases the bigger turbos will need a wastegate just in case of to much exhuast pressure witch will cuase the turbines to melt from excessive heat build up. ur gonna need a new head u get the air in u got to get it back out... im very doutful that the stock internals will handle a big amounts of boost,. ur gonna need a better clutch with that much more HP that other clutch will burn out stage 3 at least... there is more but not gonna evern go any ferther in to it....its alot more that ur thinkin u better look into it further i was a huge tuner and turboed ever turd burner i ever owned. i know what a pain in the ass they are.
wow. just wow. i really try not to be rude, but seriously, you know nothing about turbo dsm's. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

a jet computer? are you serious? those things are worthless on dsm's.

a new head? again, are you serious? teh stock turbo head is good for 400 hp.

stock internals can handle ~20psi on 93 octane on a good tune, and 24-25 psi on race fuel.

the manifold is fine. there are many large turbos that bolt right onto the stock manifold; FP green FP red, mitsu flanged 50 trims, 60-1's, etc.

larger oil pump? you're crazy. stock oil pumps are fine for any street driven dsm.

he has 2G anyway, so he doesn't even have to upgrade the oil feed line. any of the garrett based compressors will come with a new oil drain line too.

seriously, i already told him what he needs, leave it at that. you just confused the **** out of him if he read your post.

i'm not trying to be an *******, but don't say anything else about what he needs for a turbo dsm.

I find it funny your compairing turboing a DSM to a civic. Does that mean because you need all that **** to turbo a civic, its the exact same for every other car on the market? He dosent need half the **** you told him to buy, but if he had the money to do it, it wouldent be a bad idea.

I find it funny your compairing turboing a DSM to a civic. Does that mean because you need all that **** to turbo a civic, its the exact same for every other car on the market? He dosent need half the **** you told him to buy, but if he had the money to do it, it wouldent be a bad idea.
to turbo it right and make it last u need all that "****" let him do that in 2 month time it will be broke down. ive been there and ive learned a big lesson do it right or DONT!

i got a quick question my friend has a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX and wants to upgrade the turbo i was wondering if it was just as simple as changing the injectors and bolting on the new turbo

Definitely go to a DSM forum. I don't know all that much about the mechanics of an Eclipse, but it's similar to a Civic, except the 4G is an iron block and they like to crank walk. But switching out to a bigger turbo pretty much only requires new injectors and a tune, depending on how much HP your putting out. PSI has nothing to do with the longevity of the motor or parts.

PSI has nothing to do with the longevity of the motor or parts.
what are u kidding those cheaper rings will break after time with to much pressure even thoe its a turbo and would need heavier valve springs or it will make the valves chatter. but maybe im thiking he wants to race the thing everyday and beat on it. i might be thinking over kill then. my fualt.

what are u kidding those cheaper rings will break after time with to much pressure even thoe its a turbo and would need heavier valve springs or it will make the valves chatter. but maybe im thiking he wants to race the thing everyday and beat on it. i might be thinking over kill then. my fualt.
Well I just meant because your throwing more lbs. of boost, which is sort of irrelavent to his question, does not matter. It matters how much HP your putting down. It's all subjective to how much bigger the turbo is and EVERYTHING is tune dependent. Even your comment about the rings; tune dependent. If you have a good solid tune, you can make any mechanical part hold up. Hell I ran 300 HP on my fvckin Si for over 2 years before I built it, and even then my sleeves, rings and pistons (ALL STOCK) were still fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.