Installing a new amp - Fuse Question.

chrismcq

UK
Hey Guys,

I've been researching how to wire up an amplifier to my car but can't find an answer to my question..

I Have a Maystar QXT 275 (400W) amp and a Alpine V-power MRP-T130 90Wx2 amp.

Both Amps have Fuses inside the units however the fuse needs to be next to the battery ... ?

The maystar will require 30A but will that be 30A Near the battery and no fuse inside the actual amp or 30A in each fuse compartment = 60 A?? Really confused //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Plus - Do you guys recommend i use the Alpine or Maystar amp at the front of the car ?

Can't afford a big Sub woofer in the back. At the moment i just want good sound from the front.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

This is my first attempt of installing an amp and want to make sure its done right.

You will still need a fuse on the wire, most will tell you to fuse for the size power wire you use, it is to keep you from burning up your car basically. A few will even say that they don't fuse their power wire, I would, if I were you. Someone with more knowledge on the subject may chime in on what fuse for what wire size.I ran 0/1g copper clad aluminum, so I am fused at 250amps, but I also run a 2k watt amp for sub stage though.

Yeah i have read the fuse near the battery is very important and I will put one there.

My amp wiring kit is on the way - A 10 gauge wire that has a fuse connected to it

If i have a fuse next to the battery will the fuse still be required inside the unit itself ?

Should i use 30A in each amp and battery or just one 30A Next to the battery ?

I am fused at 250amps, but I also run a 2k watt amp for sub stage though.
Nice Set up.. Must be putting out some extreme sound with 250A / 2K watt //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Since each amp has a 30amp fuse, the one near the battery should be at least 60amps, the sum of the 2 amps fusing. What size fuse is in the amp kit?
^^ That.

Your primary power wire needs to be able to provide the current for the two amps combined, so 60A or more.

The on-board fuse is the on-board fuse -- it has little to do with what you do between the battery and the amp other than give you an idea of the amount of current you need to acct for.

At a minimum you need 8 awg primary wire. From there you should have a small distribution block where you can drop down to 10 awg if you want (and if you do, the distribution block should have two 30A fuses in it). Or just go with 8 awg all the way to the amps.

Thank you guys its makes much better sense now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

I plan to only install the front amp at the moment.

I've got 10 Gauge / AWG kit coming and the listing describes up to 1000W - 5m Pos/Neg, 1m Earth,5m 18 gauge remote cable

could I install my 90Wx2 Alipine amp at the front with the 10 gauge kit ?

The kit comes with a 30A Fuse however the Alpine amp requires a 20Amp.

So to clear things up i should swap the 30A fuse (power wire) the kit come with and swap for a 20A and have a 20A In the amp too?

I'll install my more powerful amp on a later date when i buy a sub and new cables.

Best way to determine fuse size is add fuses up on both amps and get the main fuse the same value ...if two 30's get a 60a ...if you have an odd size since most larger fuse don't go to the next 10th above what your fuses goto for instance a 30a and a 35a you have 65a get a 70a fuse ....on those two amps you mentioned ..Id run a minimum of 4g wire or an 8g wire for each...if separate power wires you can fuse each to the same value as the amp its powering ...a fuse by the battery protects the car ...a fuse on the amp protects the amp ...

The fuse near the battery is to protect the WIRE itself, in case it gets shorted to ground somewhere. It should be sized for the gage of the wire. An 8 gage wire is rated for 40 amps, that's what size fuse you should use. A 10 gage wire is good to 30 amps.

The fuses in your amp protect the amp, and don't necessarily relate to the maximum power the amp requires. If your amp required 60 amps of battery current it would require a 4 gage wire fused for 70 - 80 amps.

Ok thank you guys! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

From researching it looks like a 20 A Fuse next to the battery is more suited for a 90 x 2 Watt Amp but your recommending a 30 A Near battery ?

180 Total Amp power % 13.7 Battery Voltage at max = 13.1 A

For 180 watts 20-25 amps would be fine. Music is about a 5:1 peak to average ratio, so under normal use you won't be drawing 13 amps average.

Thank You for clearing that up dave / maylar //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I've purchased a new pioneer MVH-160UI head unit And will install this along side my Pioneer TS-G1732I speakers and Alpine 90X2 Watt amp on saturday or sunday //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It may not be a big budget set up but my current speakers are really bad so should make the world of difference.

Thanks to everyone that commented and shared there knowledge.

One last question -

When Disconnecting the wires from the speakers is it okay to leave the current speaker cables inside the door panel by tapeing it down and just install new wire from speaker to amp?

Will the front speaker wires need to be disconnected at the head unit or is it okay to leave the cable alone when its disconnected strait off the speaker.

One last question -

When Disconnecting the wires from the speakers is it okay to leave the current speaker cables inside the door panel by tapeing it down and just install new wire from speaker to amp?
Yup. Just tape em up.

Will the front speaker wires need to be disconnected at the head unit or is it okay to leave the cable alone when its disconnected strait off the speaker.
It's OK to leave them connected in the dash if it makes it easier for you.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif Thanks.

I'll install Soon and hope all goes to plan //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.