installed new RF amp for door speakers, whirring/clicking sounds

na96ek
10+ year member

TN
I have just finished installing my RF Prime 150-2 amp and wiring it to my door speakers but now when relays in the vehicle are activated I am getting a clicking through the speakers... Turn signals, brake pedal switch, rear defroster, etc. Also when the rear defroster is turned on and I accelerate, I also pick up a whirring sound that changes with engine RPM.

I have a Pioneer amp with 4awg power wire for my sub and my Rockford with 8awg power wire both of which are run together with the remote wire. Both grounded each on theyre own grounding point in the spare tire well where they are mounted to a custom MDF rack.. I did not encounter this problem with just my pioneer amp running my sub. If I set the Rockford amp to LP filter, the noises seem to almost if not completely go away... I have new runs of speaker wire going all the way from my amp through the doors (monster 302XLN) so I am not retaining any of the factory speaker wiring. All RCA's are far away from power wires. All though I am using a LOC to connect to my stock HU. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Alt whine due to ground loop. How many amps do you have if more than one are they grounded in the same place. Pioneer head unit?

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Actually read your post haha. Ground both amps at the same place.

Really!? I was initially planning on grounding the amps at the same location but I read that it would cause the issue im having. Maybe the guy who wrote that has no idea what hes talking about lol. I guess I will give it a try tmw. I hope that does it, its driving me nuts haha

alright so I couldnt wait anymore and I didnt have time to cut and crimp a new ground wire, so what I did was completely take the Pioneer amp(sub amp) out of the picture. Disconnected power/ground/rem/RCA from it therefore I was using just the Rockford amp, aka a single ground and I am still getting the interference in my door speakers. Also to note, and I still think this is telling me something, when I set the amp to LPF the clicks are of a lower frequency. I am stumped

when you set the amp to LPF you only let low frequencies through. it's not a clue, just how an LPF works. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

where are you getting a remote signal from? if you grabbed an ignition signal, then you need a different remote turn-on.

i'd also look at the LOC. who made it? how is it grounded? I recommend a David Navone LOC.

im getting the remote from the cigarette lighter 12v wire. I have heard not to do this but I cant really figure out how it can make a difference if its just a 12v power wire?... I was going to try getting a 12v signal straight from the battery and just putting a switch on the dash to turn the amps on/off. The LOC is made by fierce audio its the ****** one that best buy sells b/c I was in a rush that day and my local car audio shop was sold out of all thier LOC's... I understand they arent the best way to do things in general but im just saving up for a nice HU... It didnt seem to give me problems with my Pioneer amp but maybe since it was through the sub i just didnt hear it as much because I know door speakers are more sensitive to interference. My LOC has 6 wires coming out of it. One positive on each speaker and two negative's for each speaker. The instructions were very vague but for my application it told me to use 2 grounds to each speaker negative and the positive to each speaker positive. What else can I do with it?

what do you usualy use for a rem wire source?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tired switching out the RCA's and nothing.. Both of them are less then 24 hrs in use anyways, brand new monster XLN RCA's and only 1.6 feet long each at that... Speaker wire was just ran and done in such a way that I am 100% confident there are no rips or tears in the insulation causing a speaker wire to be grounded. I am going to try using my pioneer amp to power one of my door speakers and see if I still get the interference

I had this same problem with my prime amp a few days ago. The RCA's needed to be grounded. I took some speaker wire and wrapped it around my front and rear RCA outputs on my HU and secured it underneath a screw on the hu. The whining sounds are now gone //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

only problem is i dont have rca jacks on my HU... I have a stock HU, I am using a line output converter to convert my speaker wires to RCA.. Can I ground the RCA's outputs on my LOC to something?

I just tried connecting my pioneer amp to the door speakers and im getting the same interference with that amp as well... So then I tired running speaker wires from the amp to a speaker free air outside the truck on the ground and it still clicks... im feeling like im about out of ideas...

well i tried hooking up my other amp and it has the same issue when connected to the door speakers. i just never heard it on the sub because its not nearly as noticeable at lower frequencies... so i know its not an issue with the amp itself and i know its not the rca's or speaker wires.. i feel that its either a ground issue or my loc.. but i dont really know what i should change with it.. should i ground the HU in the back where my amp is grounded?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.