install new headunit in car - fail

i already mentioned that, only connecting it to the battery...
Kind of a pain in the *** to connect to the batt unless you have alligator clips, which some ppl wont have. also if he only has it taped and not crimp connected its a lot easier to do it at the deck location. I also went into more detail for him on how to properly test the fuse panel.

hi guys,

Ok did the MM test today. When OFF, Constant reads 12.4V and ACC 0.7V. When in ACC, Constant reads 12.2V and ACC 12.4V. Tested GND using the metal chassis and the GND cable and they both give the same reading so the grounding should be OK.

Another thing, when I had initially shorted the wires by mistake, the fuse on the car blew and had to be replaced but the fuse on the headunit was fine. Shouldn't both fuses blow since the current is flowing along the same wire?? Its an unbranded unit off ebay from China.

With am guessing it means the cables are all good but the HU might be faulty? :|

Yeah those readings are at the end of the harness that goes into the deck. One things I couldn't make out was that the fuse on the deck unit was still OK? Hmmm..

Anyways thanks for all the help in here guys! Much appreciated. I really learnt a lot tryin to fit my first ever deck unit.

Kind of a pain in the *** to connect to the batt unless you have alligator clips, which some ppl wont have. also if he only has it taped and not crimp connected its a lot easier to do it at the deck location. I also went into more detail for him on how to properly test the fuse panel.
i've never used alligator clips. just touch the wires directly to the terminal. not that big of a deal...

I guess that works if thats all you have to work with. just more difficult that way.
how? just touch the wires to the terminal. and if the head unit works then you at least know its not that, thats causing the problem...

how? just touch the wires to the terminal. and if the head unit works then you at least know its not that, thats causing the problem...
typically you have to hit the power button to turn on the deck. Most bats are not going to have the terminals close enough to hold both wires down with one hand. So unless you have a third hand somewhere its just kind of a pain in the ***. I've also seen some ppl touch the deck case to the neg terminal on accident while he had it connected and fried his deck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

vanaxel

vanaxel
CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
CrossoverOre