install almost complete....help!

Quiksilver
10+ year member

NJ
I just got my new amp last night and am quite anxious to hook it all up... My only concern is how to get the power wire to the battery in a safe manner... Is the best way to do it by drilling a hole in my fire wall then putting a grommet in it? Ive looked for pre existing holes and just cant find any that would work with 4 AWG wire. Please help me out on how to get this thing done!

-quik

If you absolutely cannot find an existing place to put the wire through, yes you'll have to drill a hole and make sure to use a grommet or some wire loom

i saw a car several days ago........a short circuit in the power wire where it had been put through an unprotected steel hole had caused a fire that took out the battery, the air filter, the dizzy cap, the wiper motor and half the bonnet.

the car was parked up, the engine wasn't running.

his car is rooted, the insurance wont pay out. if you want to take the risk, go right ahead:nono:

Originally posted by duginnz i saw a car several days ago........a short circuit in the power wire where it had been put through an unprotected steel hole had caused a fire that took out the battery, the air filter, the dizzy cap, the wiper motor and half the bonnet.

the car was parked up, the engine wasn't running.

his car is rooted, the insurance wont pay out. if you want to take the risk, go right ahead:nono:
but ...well than how do people professionlly install stereos in cars using heavy guage wire without drilling holes in the firewall!?!?

smaller cables can be tucked in beside air con drain tubes, heater hoses, etc.

bigger cables have to have a hole of their own. if the car is an auto, there may already be a large hole where the clutch was/should be.

i have seen power cables routed under the car, but i would not do it personally.

plan c is re evaluate your system and determine if you really need truck jump start cables to supply your juice

or maybe visit an auto electrician to run the cable for you..

Drilling a hole is not so bad as long as you seal it up real well and make sure the wire is not going to move. One of the best ways I have seen it done was with some silicon sealer (like used in aquariums), once that stuff solidfies you have to use a knife to get it off.

I got 1/0 gauge cable from the battery to the trunk with few problems in my accord. obviously, disconnect both neg and pos sides of the battery. put an in line fuse (or circuit breaker) at most 18" from the battery to be on the safe side even if your amp has its on fuse). I just passed it on the passenger side of the car through the firewall where there are already wires passing through from the fuse box. i then passed it neatly under the door molding to the backseat. I did run into a small problem. there were no large holes to go from the backseat to the trunk and the one i used was a but tight (it wasnt really a hole but more of a space between 2 metal parts of the car). I ended up shredding a little bit off the insulation //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif, but not enough to make it bare. hope this helps

Y not just put anothe battery in the 'trunk' as you will call it

Or, if u r gunna do a hole, just pulug itn up wit plumbers silicone, give it 12-24 hours, and u will be sweet, nothing will get throgh that stuff

Cyaz

Madazcrx

best way to put the wire is throught the fire wall. but what i had done was a rubber gasket around the metal where the wire went through tthe firewall, then use some clear apoxy or filler to seal off the hole.

Thanks for the help guys,

I'll be rippin apart my dash to see really what kind of options I have. If I absolutely have to, I think drilling will be fine with some silicone epoxy like you said...

thanks again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

just drill a hole, make sure you don't hit anything important and use a grommet. luckly for me their is a factory gromment with enough space left in it for 2 0 guage lines i just have to remove the driver side fender to get to it

Originally posted by nismboy6986 just drill a hole, make sure you don't hit anything important and use a grommet. luckly for me their is a factory gromment with enough space left in it for 2 0 guage lines i just have to remove the driver side fender to get to it
what car do you have?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Quiksilver

10+ year member
Quiksilver
NJ
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from