In much need of help!! Please respond!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ekisic

Alrighty so here's the deal. I recently bought an MTX 5515 15" 4 ohm dvc sub. It's 400w rms. the amp it WAS hooked up to was a pioneer at 400 rms but could not handle a 2 ohm load, so I had to wire it in at 8 ohms. And to my knowledge this would cut the power to 200w going to the sub. I have a stock head unit in my 2000 durango so I had to use the high level input because there's no RCAs on the back of my head unit. It had decent bass but I felt like I could be getting a lot more out of this massive sub In this massive ported box that takes up all my space, so I invested in a new non walmart amp expecting to get a lot more power out of it.it is a monoblock Rockford fosgate prime R500x1D with 500w rms at 2 ohms. So I was thinking okay it's 100w overpowering but I can keep the gain down and not have the bass boost maxed out like I did on the pioneer amp. Well I wired the sub in at 2ohms so it should be getting the 500w. But for some reason I have the gain turned completely up and the "punch level" all the way up and I don't get much bass at all unless I turn the bass on my HU all the way up! And at that point the door speakers are sounding like crap! The freakin pioneer was producing more bass, although the bass from the rf is a lot cleaner, I shouldn't have to have the gain and punch level all the way up.

So here are my thoughts on things that are solid and shouldn't be causing problems.

- my voltage meter stays just above 14v.

- the wiring from sub to amp should be precise as I used a crutch field wiring diagram.

- 12 gauge wires from sub to amp.

- the amp turns on and doesn't seem to be clipping or losing power

Alright well I have a few thoughts on things that can be wrong

- the high level input has two positives and two negatives for input from two separate speakers but I had to sacrifice a rear door speaker and run speaker wire from that straight to the high level wires. Being that there's two sets of wires and I only have one speaker, I twisted the two positives and two negatives together and the neg and pos from the door speaker accordingly. Now maybe since I only have input from one speaker is the amp only producing half the output it could be?

Would a LOC and using the RCAs make a difference? Or should I be looking into a different problem?

I'm just really confused and disappointed I was so ready to hear this 15 at its full potential and I feel like I wasted a bunch of cash. If anyone could give me their two cents on this I would really appreciate it.

What do you mean by that? With the door speakers? If it makes any difference the amp has a 0-180 phase on it and I tried both ways and it doesn't sound much different either way

I'm not to sure it helped then again it's 1 am here and I can't blast it at the moment, I will get up bright n early to get a definite answer. Thanks for in insight on the switch though I never knew that.

Any other thoughts as to what could be goin on?

Yes disconnect the subs from each other. Use a smaller battery. Like a. 9 volt from a drill. Touch the wires from the subs one at a time. One wire to pos one to neg see which way the sub moves. Should pop out if you have it right same with other sub that will tell you which wire is pos and neg. then run them to the amp you'll be in phase correctly then

1DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg
wired in according to this diagram

Let me know if that works. Note that some stock receivers reduce bass output as you turn up the volume because stock speakers can't handle it. There are LOCs that come with bass restoration. Make sure you try mylows' suggestion, see if that fixes it.

Well the suggestion he just mentioned doesn't seem to apply to me since I have only one sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

It is the gm-5500T

And yes it says 5515-44 on the box. Above the terminals I remember it saying 4 ohms right above the terminals also

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.