In-line fuse location ?

Turnt Audio
10+ year member

I put an Alpine ktp-445u (power pack) amp in my truck, and I used about 6' of 12awg wire to connect it to the battery. I want to know if the fuse in the Alpine harness that I'm using, which is right below the amp in the dash, is ok to keep using... or should I put an in-line fuse closer to the battery instead, and eliminate the Alpine fuse?

This mini-amp has been working fine, so would changing the location of the fuse just be a waste of time?

Also, is it ok to ground 2 wires (from 2 different wiring harnesses) in the same spot?

Always want to run an inline fuse no more than 12" from the battery. I wouldn't eliminate the other fuse though as a side note. And yes it is ok usually as long as it's a good metal contact with no paint on it.

why did you connect it to the battery? that was a waste, you should have just wired everything up with the radio harness, that what this amp is meant to be wired to anyways.

as long as you have the 12g wire ran correctly (reads safely) you will be just fine with the factory fuse, if your concerned about the integrity of the wire in the long term then put an inline by the batt, but theres no need to remove the factory one, just making more work for yourself at that point.

and on the second half of your question OP is yes thats fine.

IIRC, MECP is recommended to be within 18" of the battery, secure and away from any moving parts. just remember that if you do not fuse near the battery, the cable from the battery to the fuse location is hot all the time. i would do it near the battery. im sure you do not want a fire to happen because of improper fusing right? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/ponder.gif.ec2527b23f1d287b60dcbba54f95edba.gif

why did you connect it to the battery? that was a waste, you should have just wired everything up with the radio harness, that what this amp is meant to be wired to anyways.
It guarantees adequate current supply. I would have done the same thing.

One more question: For the amp ground wire, I ran another 12g wire up by the battery, and grounded it with my aux. lighting grounds to the chassis. I realized I could've just grounded it to something in the dash (because this amp is inside the dash), but does it matter since this is such a small amp (45w x4)? Would it work better if I cut out that extra wire and grounded it in the dash? lol

I used an in-line blade fuse holder for the Alpine KTP445u, what amp fuse should I put in there (10, 15, 20...)?

This amp is 45 watts X 4, and I'm not sure what size to put in the fuse holder. The only information the Alpine manual had was that the blade fuse that plugs into the amplifier is 15 amps.

I used an in-line blade fuse holder for the Alpine KTP445u, what amp fuse should I put in there (10, 15, 20...)? This amp is 45 watts X 4, and I'm not sure what size to put in the fuse holder. The only information the Alpine manual had was that the blade fuse that plugs into the amplifier is 15 amps.
What size wire did you use?

12 gauge, and 10 gauge for the 6" of wire carrying the fuse holder that attaches to the battery

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

What size wire did you use?
12 gauge, and 10 gauge for the 6" of wire carrying the fuse holder that attaches to the battery

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.