In-Line Circuit Breaker vs. In-Line Fuse and Holder?

CobaltKicker
10+ year member

I Humped Your MOM
I am trying to see whether to get a 150 amp fuse and fuse holder or just buy a 140 amp circuit breaker for my car like this one: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2267.html. What's the difference?....I am leaning towards the circuit breaker, due to me never having to replace the fuses and I can just flick a switch and go back to booming, since high amperage fuse are so **** much. Let me know people, I am going by your feedback, on what I should do with my set-up.

Thanks - CobaltKicker.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

im pretty new in car audio but ive always had fuses before and this last time i bought a circuit breaker and wow its so much easier, like you said you just flip the switch and its off, then flip it back on and its on, i dont know if there are any differences but if there arent then i would go with the breaker.

there is a chance the coil inside might break and fuse the contacts inside and you wont have a fuse\circuit-breaker at all. fuses will break if there is sufficent current draw.

thats why i dont use them.

req made a pretty good point i guess if that happin you would never know but i hate replacing fuses all the time and its not like they cheap either , i got a circuit breaker and love it, it pops hit the switch and im rocking again no looking for fuses or looking for stores who sell them, imo go with the breaker.

Fuse...

A circuit breaker can become unreliable and not function properly. I can understand the convenience of it. But I just prefer the tried and true method of a simple fuse vs. a mechanical object with more "stuff" to go wrong with.

Fuses aren't that expensive..

I suppose you could always get a ~100a breaker with a ~140a fuse to follow it. That way if you really screw up, the fuse will pop and keep the fires to a minimum.

If this is your daily driver you should't be blowing fuses. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Cost of replacing a fuse that should never blow anyway: $5.

Cost of replacing your car after the breaker fails to trip and your power cable melts and causes a fire burning your car to the ground: more than $5.

If you want a breaker to use as a switch, fine but back it up with a fuse. Every time you trip that breaker, you cause an internal arc that pits the contacts and decreases the reliability of the CB. A fuse works every time.

yeah.....and FYI people my fuse doesnt keep blowing. It was a 60 amp fuse in an amp kit I bought and all I need to do is upgrade the amperage to better acommodate my amp(Kicker 06ZX850.2). I've decided to buy a fuse and holder, then I'll install it saturday. Thanks for all the help.

Cost of replacing a fuse that should never blow anyway: $5.
Cost of replacing your car after the breaker fails to trip and your power cable melts and causes a fire burning your car to the ground: more than $5.
I dunno man, have you seen some of the cars people on here drive? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.