In home power

Participant count
  • Participant list

junocdx
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
AR
I know everyone is probably sick of hearing this. I did a search. More than one and I figured out the majority of the stuff I needed to know, but I still have a few questions...

I was told that an old computer power supply could be used to power an amplifier indoors. Is that even effecient? Will it push out enough power to actually let the amp run the subs? I bought my friends old set off of him. Its a 1200 watt amp, and two 900 peak subs. I dont know the RMS on either. I'm wanting to set it up in my room. Will the computer power supply be able to perform atleast decently?

Also.. since the power supply has more than just one 12v + lead, can I hook up more than one device? Like hook up more than one amp or maybe an amp and some automotive lights or something? I'm just seeing what I'm limited to. I can get the power supplies for free, so I'm really wanting ot do this. If this wont work, can you give me an alternative way to get power? Thanks guys

Originally posted by Grand AMature radio shacks sells a kit to make a 12 volt power suppy, you can even make it adjustable to 14.4 volts
ok, a PC power supply usually gives out 300w on average for P4 systems. However, this does not mean that it can support a 300w amp. If you see clearly, the ampere of the power supply would probably be in single digits. THe 5V might actually have more amperes coming out of the power supply.

You could hook all the 12V to one source, but then, if you open up a PC power supply, they lead to the same place on the board.

With PC power supplies, they shut off when there is too much draw.

You could get yourself two of those, or maybe a 500w server power spply, but they still will not give out good supply of power. But by the time you bought yourself a server power supply, you would've gotten yourself a power supply that was made specifically for what you're looking for. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i went to the depot today, again, n i saw that they had an AC/DC power inverter. hmmm, sorry, wrong stuff.

comp power supply should do, there are some high ones, but a AC/DC converter should be the better bet.

This has been covered...

The computer power supply will never be enough for a 1200 watt amplifier.

You are looking at almost 100 amps of current demand for peaks if it's a 1200wRMS amp and driven to full potential - there are supplies out there that do that, but they start at around $3000.

Tripp-lite makes a regulated 13.8 unit for use in HAM radios and the like, the PR-40, which will give you a 40A current surge rating, with 32amps constant. Run you about $150 onilne...

Originally posted by Grand AMature radio shacks sells a kit to make a 12 volt power suppy, you can even make it adjustable to 14.4 volts
I can't find anything at Radio Shack as far as a power supply kit. They all looked at me stupid when I went there and asked for one. They do carry a 10 AMP 12VDC power supply. Will 10 amps be enough to power anything?? Thanks for all the replies.

Also... the Tripp Lite PR40.. the cheapest I've seen it yet is $209. Thanks again for the replies.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.