impedence rise

you just told me what i said was wrong, and then said exacly what i said.... i didn't mean that i don't know what inductance means... i said i don't know what the inductance of the subs is... besides that you cannot drop to your DC resistance unless your inductance is ZERO and then your speaker wouldn't be doin much, so the fact that that dc resistance is what your impedance can drop to is flat wrong... i KNOW this much to be true or at least erroneous... because the sum of the inductance and the resistance is not equal to the DCR value as you said it is... in fact the DCR is the resistance... so DCR+inductance= nominal impedance which IS the "supposed" lowest impedance of the sub... also that "imaginary number in the inductance is simply a algebraic formula used to avoid the value becomeing 0 because it is impossible for the inductance to become ZERO... so yes techically nominal impedance is definded as....DCR+ (x)i= nominal impedance...
"i" is the same as sqrt(-1). Take an algebra or calc class. He didn't say the same thing you did and if you comprehended what he said you would quicly realize that. You can't measure impedance using DC because impedance is a value related to AC and it varies with frequency, if the frequency is 0 (DC) the inductance portion of impedance is going to be 0 and DCR is the result. The "nominal" impedance is just that, nominal. The min impedance will usually be even higher than the nominal depending on enclosure. Sometimes it will be lower, but not usually.
furthermore another important thing to take into mind is that ratings on sub's DCR are permited to be -20% by industry standards so if the case was that even one of my subs was droping to that percentage, or if all 4 were droping to even 5% that could have been the source of shut down
There are no "industry standards." Even if there were and the tolerance was 20% and all of them were that low, the actual impedance would still be higher. But guess what, a speaker builder will know the DCR (Re) almost exactly because the voicecoil is made with an exact length of wire of an exact diameter. The DCR of a piece of wire is not going to vary measurably between samples.
ANOTHER important fact is that a 1000/1 is designed to be nominal at 1.5 to 4 OHMs it accomplishes this by adjusting the circuitry automatically "every time the amp is turned on". this means if my amp read a 2 ohm lead when first turned on a .5 ohm drop would make it cut off because the amp is adjusted to play nominal 2 ohms.. so i'm sorry to argue if thats what you take this as but i know for a fact that DCR is ONLY the resistance of the voice coil and leads and stuff, nothing to do with inductance but add the 2 together to get nominal impedance.
Actually the JL amps continuously monitor the output current vs. the output vlotage and adjust the max rail voltage accordingly. It isn't just a one time thing at power up. If the amp is shutting down at high volume and it's because of a low impedance load, it's probably because you wired the subs wrong.

I'm going to break this done for you one last time. First, I will state that you do not really understand as much as you would like to think you do. Second, we can all see this and you're not fooling anybody.

you just told me what i said was wrong, and then said exacly what i said.... i didn't mean that i don't know what inductance means... i said i don't know what the inductance of the subs is...
Type what you mean next time. If you know what inductance is, don't type this: "i think it was pretty safe to say (without knowing wat inductance is) that..." That is what you typed but you edited to make yourself seem more educated than you really are.

besides that you cannot drop to your DC resistance unless your inductance is ZERO
Let us read something I have already typed:

"In a DC environment, your current is constant (hence the Direct Current) and thus the part of the voice coil that is acting like an inductor is now acting like a short (think of the resistance and inductance of the sub as if they're in series with each other). If the inductance is a short, you can say that its value of resistance is 0."

Yep, inductance is equal to 0 in DC, just like helotaxi also said.

and then your speaker wouldn't be doin much, so the fact that that dc resistance is what your impedance can drop to is flat wrong...
I never stated this. I DID state multiple times that your amp will never see a load lower than your DCR. Read and understand; don't put words in my mouth.

i KNOW this much to be true or at least erroneous... because the sum of the inductance and the resistance is not equal to the DCR value as you said it is...
In a DC environment, it will be. This is the context I was talking about. When you're working with a DC source, inductance will be 0 so DCR + 0 = impedance = DCR. Just like 1 + 0 = 1. Read in context and understand.

in fact the DCR is the resistance... so DCR+inductance= nominal impedance
And that is similar to what I said here: "With this flux, we're going to have inductance added to the DCR . . . So we now have the inductance (which will vary over frequency) added with the DC resistance of the coil. This value, over the usable range of the sub while free-air, will be roughly 2 ohms per voice coil."

The problem is that impedance is going to change because inductance changes over frequency and it will change based on the environment the sub is in. This value of inductance will only increase though and will never become negative in a sub. Also, it's not equal to the nominal impedance as you will read here later.

which IS the "supposed" lowest impedance of the sub...
Nominal does not equal lowest... sorry. That value is also taken while free-air. When you load down the sub in an enclosure, your nominal impedance will be different from it's rated value; this new value will almost always be higher.

also that "imaginary number in the inductance is simply a algebraic formula used to avoid the value becomeing 0 because it is impossible for the inductance to become ZERO... so yes techically nominal impedance is definded as....DCR+ (x)i= nominal impedance...
Actually, that "i" value is used to describe the phase angle of the impedance when in polar form. "i" is used as the 90* phase angle portion of the impedance. Like I have said before, impedance is the summation of the purely resistive load and purely inductive load. This is not a normal sum like you would think it to be though. Because we have an imaginary value, we switch to a polar coordinate system instead of our standard geometric system. This form of addition is done by taking the square root of the sum of each value squared. This will give you the magnitude of the impedance. The phase angle of the impedance is going to be the tan^1 of the imaginary value over the resistive (real) value.

Example:

Something has a DCR of 2ohms and an inductance of 2i ohms at some random frequency. To find the actual impedance, we solve this in our calculator: sqrt[2^2 (real value) + 2^2 (imaginary value)]. This is equal to the sqrt(8) which equals ~2.83ohms. This is the magnitude or total value of resistance. Now, the phase angle is found by taking the tan^-1(2/2) which is equal to 45*.

furthermore another important thing to take into mind is that ratings on sub's DCR are permited to be -20% by industry standards so if the case was that even one of my subs was droping to that percentage, or if all 4 were droping to even 5% that could have been the source of shut down ANOTHER important fact is that a 1000/1 is designed to be nominal at 1.5 to 4 OHMs it accomplishes this by adjusting the circuitry automatically "every time the amp is turned on". this means if my amp read a 2 ohm lead when first turned on a .5 ohm drop would make it cut off because the amp is adjusted to play nominal 2 ohms..
If your amp was worth a ****, it will handle a load slightly lower than it is rated for. I have a shitty profile amp from the early 90s that can handle a 2 ohm load bridged for hours and it is fine. It sounds like you have wired your amp to .5 ohms. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

so i'm sorry to argue if thats what you take this as but i know for a fact that DCR is ONLY the resistance of the voice coil and leads and stuff, nothing to do with inductance but add the 2 together to get nominal impedance.
I'm not taking it as arguing but rather you trying to defend your ignorance. Trust me, you're failing hard at this. You're young so I wouldn't expect you to know this stuff. It's honorable that you're trying but there comes a point when you are not fooling anybody and you just need to stop. You are way past this point and you're too far over your head.

Oh, and when you sum DCR and inductance, you don't get the nominal impedance but the magnitude and phase of the impedance at that frequency. There IS a difference but again, you don't understand it.

I'm going to break this done for you one last time. First, I will state that you do not really understand as much as you would like to think you do. Second, we can all see this and you're not fooling anybody.

Type what you mean next time. If you know what inductance is, don't type this: "i think it was pretty safe to say (without knowing wat inductance is) that..." That is what you typed but you edited to make yourself seem more educated than you really are.

Let us read something I have already typed:

"In a DC environment, your current is constant (hence the Direct Current) and thus the part of the voice coil that is acting like an inductor is now acting like a short (think of the resistance and inductance of the sub as if they're in series with each other). If the inductance is a short, you can say that its value of resistance is 0."

Yep, inductance is equal to 0 in DC, just like helotaxi also said.

I never stated this. I DID state multiple times that your amp will never see a load lower than your DCR. Read and understand; don't put words in my mouth.

In a DC environment, it will be. This is the context I was talking about. When you're working with a DC source, inductance will be 0 so DCR + 0 = impedance = DCR. Just like 1 + 0 = 1. Read in context and understand.

And that is similar to what I said here: "With this flux, we're going to have inductance added to the DCR . . . So we now have the inductance (which will vary over frequency) added with the DC resistance of the coil. This value, over the usable range of the sub while free-air, will be roughly 2 ohms per voice coil."

The problem is that impedance is going to change because inductance changes over frequency and it will change based on the environment the sub is in. This value of inductance will only increase though and will never become negative in a sub. Also, it's not equal to the nominal impedance as you will read here later.

Nominal does not equal lowest... sorry. That value is also taken while free-air. When you load down the sub in an enclosure, your nominal impedance will be different from it's rated value; this new value will almost always be higher.

Actually, that "i" value is used to describe the phase angle of the impedance when in polar form. "i" is used as the 90* phase angle portion of the impedance. Like I have said before, impedance is the summation of the purely resistive load and purely inductive load. This is not a normal sum like you would think it to be though. Because we have an imaginary value, we switch to a polar coordinate system instead of our standard geometric system. This form of addition is done by taking the square root of the sum of each value squared. This will give you the magnitude of the impedance. The phase angle of the impedance is going to be the tan^1 of the imaginary value over the resistive (real) value.

Example:

Something has a DCR of 2ohms and an inductance of 2i ohms at some random frequency. To find the actual impedance, we solve this in our calculator: sqrt[2^2 (real value) + 2^2 (imaginary value)]. This is equal to the sqrt(8) which equals ~2.83ohms. This is the magnitude or total value of resistance. Now, the phase angle is found by taking the tan^-1(2/2) which is equal to 45*.

If your amp was worth a ****, it will handle a load slightly lower than it is rated for. I have a shitty profile amp from the early 90s that can handle a 2 ohm load bridged for hours and it is fine. It sounds like you have wired your amp to .5 ohms. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I'm not taking it as arguing but rather you trying to defend your ignorance. Trust me, you're failing hard at this. You're young so I wouldn't expect you to know this stuff. It's honorable that you're trying but there comes a point when you are not fooling anybody and you just need to stop. You are way past this point and you're too far over your head.

Oh, and when you sum DCR and inductance, you don't get the nominal impedance but the magnitude and phase of the impedance at that frequency. There IS a difference but again, you don't understand it.
i'm not saying that you don't know what you are talking about but this doesn't make sence... you are saying at DC or the frequency (0hz) the impedance is equall to the DC resistance... i would consider that true, but also.... at DC your speaker isn't doing anything, might as well be considered off... when you go above 0 hz then you are adding inductance and capacitance into the equasion and total impedance is allways above DC resistance... so the way i see it, the way for your subs to reach DCR is for them to not recieve a frequency other than 0hz in which case it would not matter what the resistance is... by all means enlighten me if i am mistaken about this conclusion

this is the electrical model of a speaker that i have always gone by and logically on every frequency except 0, impedance has to be higher than DCR

real electrical components:

o------Re------Lvc------o

+

mechanical components:

o-----Lces-------o

| |

o------Cmes-----o---o

| |

o------Res-------o

+

o----Xrs----o

Re= VC DCR

Lvc= VC inductance

Lces= suspension compliance

Cmes= cone mass

Res= suspension loses

Xrs=radiation impedance (completely miniscule)

this is the electrical model of a speaker that i have always gone by...
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Again, you're not fooling anybody. By "always" you mean seconds before you posted this as you were scrambling for information that contradicts mine. I'm sorry, but you're not going to find any. You can try to nit-pick at my words but they're still correct. Keep searching for faults in my posts though, it will help you further understand this and you will begin to educate yourself.

i'm not saying that you don't know what you are talking about but this doesn't make sence... you are saying at DC or the frequency (0hz) the impedance is equall to the DC resistance... i would consider that true, but also....
Yes, that is what I have typed multiple times. It seems like you might be understanding.

at DC your speaker isn't doing anything, might as well be considered off... when you go above 0 hz then you are adding inductance and capacitance into the equasion and total impedance is allways above DC resistance... so the way i see it, the way for your subs to reach DCR is for them to not recieve a frequency other than 0hz in which case it would not matter what the resistance is... by all means enlighten me if i am mistaken about this conclusion
That is correct and I have said nothing contrary to this. When I say "the lowest load your amp could possibly ever see," I mean just that. Will it ever while playing music? Nope. So then why do I say that? Because at the beggining of the thread, you had some idea that your impedance could be DROPPING below 1.5 ohms and causing the amp to shut off due to impedance rise.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
Again, you're not fooling anybody. By "always" you mean seconds before you posted this as you were scrambling for information that contradicts mine. I'm sorry, but you're not going to find any. You can try to nit-pick at my words but they're still correct. Keep searching for faults in my posts though, it will help you further understand this and you will begin to educate yourself.
well you are going to think what you want but i first saw this equasion at least a year ago

That is correct and I have said nothing contrary to this. When I say "the lowest load your amp could possibly ever see," I mean just that. Will it ever while playing music? Nope. So then why do I say that? Because at the beggining of the thread, you had some idea that your impedance could be DROPPING below 1.5 ohms and causing the amp to shut off due to impedance rise.
i thought it might be dropping below 1.5 but not because of the sub's dropping to DCR i was thinking about the box, cables, power supplies or other things which i also know now to be immposible, with the exception of sever articles i have seen telling me that at certain frequencies most even high quality subs drop to 80% of their "nominal impedance"... but i still know that not to be the problem as i said a long time ago... the problem was voltage drops, my alt was only 60 amp so i temporarily got a 100 amp and got 2 new cheapy batt's till i can do the 200 amp alt, yellow tops and "big 3"

Alright I didnt read all of the pages b/c you were just getting flamed by everyone. Alright you have already figured out that it will not go lower. If everyone *****ing would have looked at where you were getting your information they would realize that the site you posted is stating that it can go lower and at around the frequency that a sub normally plays that it will be lower.

I had just happen to be looking for information on imp rise and how some of it works and saw this.. Still didnt get much out of it,.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.