Im VERY new to car audio..

Storm1619
10+ year member

I have never bought or researched into anything to do with car audio until very recently. I want to get my first real sound system, and am having trouble what equipment to use, mainly the amp and the subs. I know I want 2 12" subs, but I do not know what kind.

I am pretty sure I want this amp: MTX Audio Thunder801D (http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTX801D)

However, I do not know what all this ohm business is. All I know is that I want my system to POUND, and I think this has the required RMS to do it with 2 12"s. Do you guys think you could recommend a good pair of 12's that would compliment the above amp. My friend claims he knows how to install all the components.

Thanks for any replies.

First of all, welcome to the forum.

However, I do not know what all this ohm business is.
Go to this site: http://www.bcae1.com for info about impedance and etc...

What do you want to do with your system? Get really loud? Sound really good? Little bit of both? What kind of budget are we talking about here? Thanks...

Thanks for the link!

Well I want it to sound fairly loud, but sound quality is more is more important than volume. I would be willing to spend probably $150 for each sub.

This is what you have to work with:

RMS Power: 400W x 1 @ 4 ohms

RMS Power: 800W x 1 @ 2 ohms

Since you want the most out of your amp, you'd need to get 2 dual voice coil (DVC) subs at 2ohms.

If sound quality is important to you, i'd suggest getting 2 12" Alpine Type-R's. It would be perfect for that amp. Just make sure you get the 2ohm DVC.

Wire it like this:

2_2ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

two svc 45 subs will work as well.....and would be a touch less confusing to hook up with that amp, which is a great amp BTW.

at $150 per sub...i'd recommend a pair of soundsplinter rl-i's u can get a pair of single 4's for $300...and u won't be disappointed with their performance or the customer courtesy u'll recieve.

email mike@soundsplinter.com , he'll not only respond quickly, but if u'll include the amp ur going to power them with as well as what type of music, he'll recommend the proper size enclosure for the subs.

i believe the mtx/soundsplinter combo would indeed be sweet...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

Welcome.

Just a tip for a newby. Read Read Read Plan Plan Plan. Don't just jump into it. Study up on it. You will be much happier with a well planned system than one you just go to everything world and buy. Lots of good stuff on this site and lots of knowledgable people. Search/ask //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

Thanks. I think that if I get 2 SVC subs, then I would have to use option #2 in the Rockford Forsgate Wiring Wizard when 2 subs and Single Voice Coil - 4 ohms is selected. Is this true?

Welcome. Just a tip for a newby. Read Read Read Plan Plan Plan. Don't just jump into it. Study up on it. You will be much happier with a well planned system than one you just go to everything world and buy. Lots of good stuff on this site and lots of knowledgable people. Search/ask //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif
Best advice I've seen for a newbie. Very very good advice. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Welcome. Just a tip for a newby. Read Read Read Plan Plan Plan. Don't just jump into it. Study up on it. You will be much happier with a well planned system than one you just go to everything world and buy. Lots of good stuff on this site and lots of knowledgable people. Search/ask //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

yes i make mistake and find out hard way!!

started with a sony sub p5 and amp i paid way too much for them, 60 for sub, 170 for amp (i know extremely stoopid purchase), oh on top of that , i got a freakin prefabbed bandpass box fifty dollarrs!! I did get a good deal on speakers tho

now that was wayy before i came to the nice people here at CA.com. with the i spent hours reading old/new threads and the help of the helpful pple here, i am actually, kinda knowledgable about car audio. youve come to the right place Storm my friend

OK, so I am lost here. The amp I have chosen has 2 RMS options:

400W x 1 @ 4 ohms

800W x 1 @ 2 ohms

And up there a bit, tegnek said I should get 2 DVC subs at 2 ohms.

Since he made this very easy to understand, I think I will go with his suggestion. Howver, what RMS should my subs have?

are you the one that IM'ed me?

any way, if you get dual voice coil 2ohm subs, you can get an amp that will gain full power @ 2ohms

I think the KX 600.1 do the trick

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.