headlight dimming!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

hurley_srt
10+ year member

I KNOW I KNOW, This problem has been addressed many times b4. Everyone here has been extremly helpful and i am in need of you expertise again. I own a 2009 dodge challenger srt8 and have a jl audio 500/1 and 300/4 and have tons of headlight dimming and alternater whine. i have tried to isolate the wiring and grounds the best i know how. i have also upgraded the wiring from the alternater and from the battery to ground. first question is whats my next step on the headlight dimming? also are these amps generally noisier than most? my brother removed the same amp out of his dodge charger for the same reasons and no longer has the annoying whine but the dimming remains. I told him it was probably due to rerouting the wires for the new cheaper amp. thanks for the help in advance. weston

well if you've already done big 3 (alt to bat, alt to ground, bat to ground) with the right size wire I'd say the next step is a new battery and better alternator.

most likely a high output alt. but a better battery can't hurt

well if you've already done big 3 (alt to bat, alt to ground, bat to ground) with the right size wire I'd say the next step is a new battery and better alternator.
most likely a high output alt. but a better battery can't hurt
only thing is though it wont get rid of the whine. are your rcas and power runs close to each other? anything touching on the back of the HU? a better battery and alt should help your dim like sourdeez said.

From things ive heard read and seen. if you have done the upgrades and still get lights dimming. a cap should help with that. and yes alot of people say it wont work but it helps with the dimming. but use that as a last resort.

How are you gains set and what size power/ ground wire have you used for the amps and big 3?

Dbl check to make sure that your grounds are on good, clean metal and are tight.

From things ive heard read and seen. if you have done the upgrades and still get lights dimming. a cap should help with that. and yes alot of people say it wont work but it helps with the dimming. but use that as a last resort.
a cap wont help as much as you think. i had a cap with some POS american legacy amp and some other no name 4 channel and my voltage still dropped down to 11.7. i added a 2nd battery and upgraded my wire and was just fine after that. still had some very very slight dim though. caps didnt work for me in the past.

a cap wont help as much as you think. i had a cap with some POS american legacy amp and some other no name 4 channel and my voltage still dropped down to 11.7. i added a 2nd battery and upgraded my wire and was just fine after that. still had some very very slight dim though. caps didnt work for me in the past.
Im guessing everyone has a different experience. one of my friends has a honda with a stock alt and hes running alpine type r comps and 2 10" type x and 1000 rms to each sub and put one huge cap for it all and not dimming nothing. it even surprised me. but it worked for him.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.