I'm not happy with my systems performance!

MattJames

Hey I have a older model(maybe 3 or 4 years old)Sony xplod headunit 4 aftermarket component Interior speakers and a kicker comp s 10 I ch sub in a ported box, and a hiphonics Zeus 600w amp(or 1,000w, I can't remember right now). I AM. Not happy with the bass at all. Some songs it hits harder then others Some songs I can drop the subwoofer level on my headunit and it doesn't change the bass at all. I previously had the same amp and headunit powering dual 12 inch JL audio subs in a closed powewedge box and also aftermarket component interior speakers and I loved it . I listen to about 75% metal/rock. When I'm listing to the tuner I also get barely any bass even when I raise or lower the subwoofer option.

Well honestly.... You could start over completely and do better. I am not a fan of any of that stuff. All over rated. Please don't mistaken me, I am not trying to be a prick here just want you to know.

Sub wise, get a better sub in a real enclosure. I guess I'd still run that amp for a while as they are ok. But they need, love and want more power. And they are over rated... Plus too, 600 watts, I assume rms, isn't a ton either. I personally also feel kicker is over rated as well. If your on a budget shop the for sale thread for used equipment. Some stuff there is complete bargain.

Enclosure! You need a good enclosure for the sub. Night and day difference I promise. Spend the money there. You'll be blown away.

I agree with the kicker being overrated. I'm using RCAs from the headunit to the amp. I don't know the model of my headunit but the settings are - low: 4 med: 4 high: 6 sub: 7 with the eq on custom and the loudness setting on. I know the hiphonics is a good amp and works fine since I had it powering the dual 12 JL Audios. I was looking at the 12 inch MTX TERMINATOR sub box since I am on a budget.

What would be a good dual 12 inch sub enclosure for my 2002 dodge stratus?
one that's professionally built by hand, not some cheap chinese mass manufactured box.

edit: actually even you can build a better box then prefabs if you have a good design and put work into it.

sony headunits have a model printed on the face plate..... you need to set your hpf (high pass filter) to 80 for your speakers and your lpf (low pass filter) to 80 for your sub. more info is needed

Which preout are you using? Sub or rear out?

Also, for a budget sub look into the c2 audio woofers. One 12 in a proper box will shit on the kickers, assuming proper power is given.

there are a bazillion budget subs better than what you run... KICKER SUBS svck!!! (their amps though are powerhouses, but lack SQ) check into c2, bravox, Incriminator audio, soundqubed/audioque, SSA subs... all make awesome subs for budget and beyond, check out some subs... as far as boxes customs always best but they make prefab that will get pretty dang close to specs on alot of stuff if the budget is too tight...

there are a bazillion budget subs better than what you run... KICKER SUBS svck!!! (their amps though are powerhouses, but lack SQ) check into c2, bravox, Incriminator audio, soundqubed/audioque, SSA subs... all make awesome subs for budget and beyond, check out some subs... as far as boxes customs always best but they make prefab that will get pretty dang close to specs on alot of stuff if the budget is too tight...
What he said. Also, if you're unsure about building the box, home depot will cut the wood to the dimensions you give. All you gotta do is glue/nail it and cut a circle or two out.

anyway...real reason I quoted you. Gonna take those D&G glasses off my hands? just offer something random. I'll probably take it lol.

turn the loud off on the deck, especially if you like to listen to your music loud. It works ok on lower volume levels but if you like it cranked to it off.

Side Show had it right in an earlier post. Instead of throwing money at it to get new equipment lets look at the install first. Might not be the best equipment but it certainly sounds like its not hooked up right to begin with. He said he can change the sub out on the headunit and nothing changes.

First thing how may rca outputs does the radio have?

Make sure you have the sub amp hooked up the correct radio output. If two sets use the rear set. If three use the sub out.

Make sure you have the crossovers set up correctly on the headunit. Start around 80 just to test.

Make sure you don't have the second crossover at the amp set wrong as well.

Please check these things, make sure its set up right first then if your still not happy start upgrading.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.