im looking fora 6.5in speaker good for bass

Participant count
  • Participant list

joqster

Hey yall and hello. My car has 4 6.5in speakers. 2 on the door and 2 in the rear. I dont want to add a huge sub box in my trunk because thats too much for me. But i just want to upgrade the speakers i already have. I recently installed a Kenwood excelon stereo with a touch screen. My bf said that my speakers will sound alot better with this new stereo, and they sound better but not what I was hoping for. He said maybe I need 6.5in subwoofers. So I did a bit of looking online and I think those 6.5in subwoofers need to be put in a box, is that true? I thought I would ask you all before I get something I'm disappointed in. I just want the most bass I can get out of 6.5in speakers. Thanks yall

Those 6.5" speakers in your car more than likely stock coaxial....meaning either a whizzer cone(back in the old days) attached to the cone of the speaker or a coaxial type, 6.5" woofer w/ built in tweeter.

If I were you, I'd hunt down some good quality 6.5" 2-way or even 3-ways for the doors. And the back/rear deck as well.

Or another option is to buy a comp set with 2 6.5" speakers, 2 tweeters and a x-over. Some can be found for around 150-200 bucks/set....just depends upon your budget and goals (if any).

Front stage is what I would do 1st....most of your sound the driver and front passenger will hear 1st.

What I would do is visit a local car audio shop and listen to some 6.5" diff branded speakers in person then let your ears be the decision makers on what best sounded to you.

The sub stage...there is a few 6.5" subs out there to choose from American bass, Sundown Audio, CDT Audio, etc that won't take up much room in your car, in the back.

What vehicle is it?

Hello boomin tahoe and thanks for replying. Its a 2014 dodge dart. Can't I put the 6.5in subwoofers in the back panel thing?

My bf is paying. He bought the stereo which was about $800 I think, so decent speakers should be ok.

Hello boomin tahoe and thanks for replying. Its a 2014 dodge dart. Can't I put the 6.5in subwoofers in the back panel thing?My bf is paying. He bought the stereo which was about $800 I think, so decent speakers should be ok.
800??? Wait...what was 800??

It would be better if the 6.5" subs were in a small enclosure, ported or sealed...in the back or trunk. The coaxials really belong in the doors.

I think thats what my bf said. I could be wrong. Ok boomin tahoe thank your for your help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif :) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif If i have another question ill ask //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Hi and welcome to the forum.

In my opinion you are not going to get any bass that you will enjoy from what you are describing. Putting them in the rear deck makes the entire trunk area the "box" and trying to fill that box with bass won't do much for in the vehicle...you could build a box under the rear deck and that would work but you still won't get much bass out of those subs and especially the low power.

There are many Excelon's the model would be helpful...but looking at the $800 ish models they state 22 watts rms/50 watts peak...enough to power the speakers but nowhere near enough to power sub drivers...peak means short, brief bursts of power.

You would be better off, imo, to put in a 4 channel amp...front channels powering the front speakers then bridge the rear channel to a nice 10" or perhaps 8" if you have to go that small in a small box on the floor of the back seat. I'm doing this in my '04 Accord EX and it provides a very nice bass, clean and tight...and if needed you can easily remove the sub for back seat passengers then put it back later.

Also...while the head unit provides "enough" power for the speakers you will notice a huge difference, especially in mid range bass, with an amp...it opens the sound stage to a great degree...amps are worth every penny we spend on them...you don't have to go crazy...40/50 watts rms per channel will make your speakers sound so much better...you won't need the rear speakers...the sub and fronts will be all you need.

Good luck and keep us informed...

Sorry but i just have to ask if i put the 6.5 subwoofers in the back panel would it sound worse than regular 6.5in speakers?
Yup, pretty much. All you will hear is rattle and weak bass because those panels are flimsy and are not made to handle strong vibrations unless you put lots of money into sound deadening even then the results would not be that good. Subwoofers need to be in an enclosure to perform well. If you are planning on leaving it on any space without an enclosure, its called an infinite baffle setup which does not get loud at all unless you have very big subs or multiple subs, i'm talking about 12s and up.

I'd just go with a single 10 in a sealed box in the rear with a 5 channel amp so you can power your door speakers and subwoofer at the same time.

I might just do that jeffdachef but without the sub. I dont need my trunk shaking haha.

I just want the music to sound better than it does now so maybe just new speakers and an amp like you said

Thank you fellas //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif :) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif and thank you kai winters i like that idea //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I might just do that jeffdachef but without the sub. I dont need my trunk shaking haha.I just want the music to sound better than it does now so maybe just new speakers and an amp like you said

Thank you fellas //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif :) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif and thank you kai winters i like that idea //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Then you'd have to do some acoustical treatments to your door so you can get maximal bass response out of the doors speakers. More power to the speakers cannot overcome bad acoustics.

I highly recommend watching these two videos when you have time just to see what it takes to get great bass response out of door speakers.

Seems like a lot of work but on the bright side, after you do proper sound deadening. Your vehicle will feel closer to driving a bmw along with major sound improvements due to significantly less road noise and having the door speakers be in a proper speaker enclosure. Just like subs needing to be in a proper box to perform, door speakers are the same.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.