im kinda in need of advice

towncarblue
10+ year member

bx
i have a 2008 rav4 with a 120 amp alternator. i was running a kenwood amp 500w rms[door speakers] and a kicker zx1000.1 . when i ran the kicker amp at 4ohm[700w rms] i had no issues with light dimming. i then ran the amp at 1300w rms the music would cut off

while i was driving. the battery went bad so i replaced it with a duralast gold [ bought it at autozone, i also i did the big 3 and then i was able to run at 1300w rms but the headlights would dim a little at high bass peaks, the bass does not cut off. i recently bought a kicker zx 1500.1 and im waiting for it to arrive so that i can install it in my rav4

i do not care if the battery dies because it gets replaced for free

what i care about is causing damage to my vehicle, i do not know if drawing too much current would destroy any of the vehicles electrical components [they are very expensive] am i safe with my current setup, should i upgrade some components [ such as alt, batt or cap].

any suggestions , advice , am i good with my current setup.

is the kicker zx1500.1 gonna give me issues?

you will eventually kill your alternator, if you already havent.... I BELIEVE once the voltage drops to much on the battery, the alternator takes over trying to do the work, and if you don't have enough back up power with the battery, it starts to drain the ALT.

I had a 97 Rav 4 w/ a 85A alt or something horrible... I was running an alpine F545 and an Autotek 2006D... Put a yellowtop under the hood (G34) and a batcap400 in the back.... never had dimming issues... I know most won't believe that but... it is what it is.

i do not have space for a second battery. can buy a bigger batery such as a kinetic? will that solve my issue or do i still need a bigger alternator?

you will eventually kill your alternator, if you already havent.... I BELIEVE once the voltage drops to much on the battery, the alternator takes over trying to do the work, and if you don't have enough back up power with the battery, it starts to drain the ALT.
I had a 97 Rav 4 w/ a 85A alt or something horrible... I was running an alpine F545 and an Autotek 2006D... Put a yellowtop under the hood (G34) and a batcap400 in the back.... never had dimming issues... I know most won't believe that but... it is what it is.
you mean brutus 2006d right?

you should do a run of 0 guage if you haven't already, as well as others have said upgrade the battery system, you can add a battery back at the amps (agm like an hc800 or hc1400 should be fine IMO

for under 2000 watts on music I dont personally think you need more than that. i ran close to 2600 watts rms on 2 runs of 2 guage and an hc 600 at the amps with an 85 amp alt for quite awhile with no issues. and my wifes van has 2 runs of 4 and an hc600 at the amps on just over 2kw on a 135 amp alt.

just my opinion tho not gospel //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if you think you will ever go bigger then do it all now and save the hassle later.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.