Im a newb and need some serious advise :)

Participant count
  • Participant list

LuRp
10+ year member

NY
Ok, first i will fill u in on what i have..

1991 Ford Explorer XLT

180W Pioneer Premier HU

4 Full range 120W polk audio 5x7 speakers

1 10" Rockford dual vioce coil 400W max in a sealed enclosure (model RFP3410)

1 crappy ford stock amp for the front 2 polks

1 300W max Kenwwod Kac-608s for the rear polks

1 Rockford 160.2 punch for the sub

Ok, now knowing that, what i would like to know is the following...

I want clear crisp loud sound.. im not interested in an earth shaking bass, but i do want a good punch in the face everytime the bass drum is kicked //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Im not sure where to go with my speakers... Everything ive read has recomended component speakers... that sounds all nice and dandy, but how in gods name am i supposed to install components into my ford 5x7 mounting area without cutomization?

I also wanna add 1 more 10" Rockford sub... Should i get an enclosure that fits 2 subs? or should i just get another single enclosure? I think im happy with the sealed enclosure so unless im utterly wrong, i think im gonna saty away from bandpass or ported enclosures...

And finally if anyone can recomend some good equipment for what im looking for i would greatly appreciate it.. Any advise (or critisizms) are welcome to what i have in the truck now... I admit i know nothing of car audio so go ahead and make fun of my system :) Also, just to let you all know im nearly poor (ok maybe pushing it a little, but you get the point) so if u recomend some good equipment keep in mind my limit is about $600

Thanks alot -LuRp

i find that a little hard to belive... i have alot of stuff already.. didnt u read my post?

do you have 600 available alltogether or do i need to subtract for what you allready bought.

would recomend better speakers and a good amp (ample is a good inexpensive amp that i like better than rockford (i sell/install rockford punches)) and ampify you mid/highs

600 availible now.. this is to add to/replace what i have now...

So if i were to get the ample.. where would i put it? what wattage? and if it wre for the sub/sub's could i take the 160.2 punch amp i have now and use it for the front 2 polks and replace that peice of **** stock amp i have?

thx for the replies.. -LuRp

My advice is to sell some of the stuff you have now on ebay. Maybe I'm wrong about that though, cause you can find lots of stuff for good prices on ebay.

Originally posted by LuRp Ok, first i will fill u in on what i have..

1991 Ford Explorer XLT

180W Pioneer Premier HU

4 Full range 120W polk audio 5x7 speakers

1 10" Rockford dual vioce coil 400W max in a sealed enclosure (model RFP3410)

1 crappy ford stock amp for the front 2 polks

1 300W max Kenwwod Kac-608s for the rear polks

1 Rockford 160.2 punch for the sub

Ok, now knowing that, what i would like to know is the following...

I want clear crisp loud sound.. im not interested in an earth shaking bass, but i do want a good punch in the face everytime the bass drum is kicked //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Im not sure where to go with my speakers... Everything ive read has recomended component speakers... that sounds all nice and dandy, but how in gods name am i supposed to install components into my ford 5x7 mounting area without cutomization?

I also wanna add 1 more 10" Rockford sub... Should i get an enclosure that fits 2 subs? or should i just get another single enclosure? I think im happy with the sealed enclosure so unless im utterly wrong, i think im gonna saty away from bandpass or ported enclosures...

And finally if anyone can recomend some good equipment for what im looking for i would greatly appreciate it.. Any advise (or critisizms) are welcome to what i have in the truck now... I admit i know nothing of car audio so go ahead and make fun of my system :) Also, just to let you all know im nearly poor (ok maybe pushing it a little, but you get the point) so if u recomend some good equipment keep in mind my limit is about $600

Thanks alot -LuRp
Firstly, I am going to say- your system is not that bad- so you are allready in good shape. Too further improve your soundstage; as that seems to be your objective, I would suggest Moving your Kenwood amplifier to the front set of speakers, Omitting the Ford Factory amp, and just push your rear speakers with the rear channels of your head unit.

You hear the front speakers first- therefore, they should be your prime consideration.

I would also reccomend a component set, primarily due to the flexibility it allows in proper speaker allignment. This would lead me also into saying -lets NOT place the components in the stock location. Kick pannels are far better suited for optimum soundstage as the speaker paths to your ears are more even.

With your vehicle- you can pick up a set of Q-Logic kicks at a reasonable price, all you do is install them. (Personally if you go that route- I would re-enforce the Q-Logics a little with some fiberglass and bondo- for strength.) Otherwise you could opt to build your own or have a shop make custom ones for you vehicle. -This will be a night and day difference, the music will seem to come alive. This is the best choice that you could make in this case. Loose the front 5x7's and replace them with a component set, powered by your Kenwood amplifier.

Check out the following component sets,

Infinity Perfect 6.1

Morel Hybrid 6

Focal 165V

CDT CL61

Nakamichi SP-S66500

Take a look at http://www.thezeb.com for all of these.

Each Set should also fall well within your budget specifications.

On to the sub- Go ahead and add the other 10, really- if the subs are in 2 separate or 1 single enclosure, the sound will not vary much at all. Either choice is perfectly fine, some prefer to install everything in 1 enclosure for cosmetic reasons(myself included)- however- in a proper sealed enclosure- each sub has its own chamber either way.

This should get you going in the right direction.

take it easy,

-zane

Great thanks alot man.. thats exactly the kind of suggestion i was looking for.... one more thing though... do you think the 160.2 punch will be sufficient for a second sub? and when i move the kenwood to the front, should i replace it with another amp, or is that pointless? when i replace the front 2 5x7's with components, will i need any costomizations? thanks again

_LuRp

oh wait... do you mean to just completly get rid of the 5x7's in the front and not replace them with anything, so to just replace them with the components in the kicks? if thats it i understand now... -LuRp

i would go bigger on the amps again $ is the factor there but definatly on the subs. q forms replace your factory kickpanal so if you go that route its a screw on customization:) again depends on how high you wanna fly..if a shop does your kicks then it will get slightly more customized depending on how they want to do your kicks the simplicity of the q forms is... u just take them off and put the old ones back in..................if a shop uses your kick panels you have now to make the speaker mounts then it gets a little hairy with buying stock again.. my suggestion would be (price permitting) get new amps or a good multi channel while selling your old stuff...........get rid of the 5x7's and get the components..... another thing to look at are the cdt line of speakers. they are meant for door mounting and still sounding great.

Originally posted by LuRp oh wait... do you mean to just completly get rid of the 5x7's in the front and not replace them with anything, so to just replace them with the components in the kicks? if thats it i understand now... -LuRp
Bingo...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

take it easy,

-zane

you guys are great... thanks alot for the help.... ive been looking for an active forum for the longest time.... If.. actually "when" i think of another question i check back in here and post it.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ok take care guys.. its 3:00AM and im wiped, ill check back in tommarow...

-LuRp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.