Illegal to watch tv while driving?

Oxford03GT
10+ year member

KC
So, I work at a car-stereo shop. My installers keep preaching to me that it is illegal to watch tv while driving, and that it is a federal law that prohibits you from having any video in front of the drivers view.

So, that seems like it makes since. So I have been doing some research. I have found a few state laws that prohibit such things (sort of) like, Virginia makes it illegal to do anything but Navigation. But. Federal Law?

I just wondered if anyone had any input on this, not just 'its illegal, I heard it' but. actually, location of where it is written, if it is in fact written.

Thanks for the help.

Matthew

Virginia's law was enacted in 1950 and amended in 1958, 1989, 1994, and 2005:

? 46.2-1077

A. No motor vehicle registered in the Commonwealth of Virginia shall be equipped with, nor shall there be used therein, a television receiver forward of the driver's seat or the screen of which would otherwise be visible to the driver while driving the vehicle. The operator of a motor vehicle which is not required to be registered in Virginia shall not operate a television receiver which violates the provisions of this section while driving in the Commonwealth.

The prohibitions contained in this subsection shall not, however, include:

1. Electronic displays used in conjunction with vehicle navigation systems;

2. Closed circuit video monitors designed to operate only in conjunction with dedicated video cameras and used in rear-view systems on trucks, motor homes, and other motor vehicles; and

3. Television receivers or monitors used in government-owned vehicles by law-enforcement officers and employees of the Virginia Department of Transportation in the course of their official duties.

B. Except for displays explicitly authorized in subsection A, no driver of any motor vehicle shall view any motion picture or similar video display while driving.

I hope it is! I mean seriously? Watching tv while driving? Is it just me or are humans getting dumber by the minute?
Be it a bad idea, I can think of many more dangerous things people do than having a video playing (TEXTING!). I would imagine most people would opt to have this feature for passengers, especially in small cab vehicles like trucks.

In Cleveland its called full time and attention. Its the © section of the code. Its vague because it can be used for people watching video, talking on cellphone, doing makeup etc.

431.34 Failure to Control; Weaving; Full Time and Attention

(a) No person shall operate a motor vehicle or motorcycle upon any street or highway without exercising reasonable and ordinary control over such vehicle.

(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle or motorcycle upon any street or highway in a weaving or zigzag course unless such irregular course is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

© No person shall operate a motor vehicle or motorcycle without giving his full time and attention to the operation of such vehicle.

(Ord. No. 1684-76. Passed 6-29-76, eff. 7-6-76)

Don't know about video, but in my state, if a cop hears your **** blasting 50 ft or more, you get a warning/ticket.
Noise Violations are a whole different beast. And very easy to find the laws for your area. But. I am unable to find anything about the video in motion laws.

Mythbusters proved that it not just the fact you only on 1 hand on the wheel cause your talking on the phone.. its the fact your more focused on the conversation than the actual driving.

Mythbusters proved that it not just the fact you only on 1 hand on the wheel cause your talking on the phone.. its the fact your more focused on the conversation than the actual driving.
...thanks for the input. (?)

this, that is why the whole bluetooth law is crap. Many drivers float into their own world while talking on the phone. Bluetooth or not they will more than likely have the same output on most drivers(especially young teens)

as to illegal yes it is illegal, most if not all newer cars that come with navi/dvd will NOT let you watch dvd's while driving and some like cadillac won't let you even change the destination or use the navi while driving.

as to illegal yes it is illegal, most if not all newer cars that come with navi/dvd will NOT let you watch dvd's while driving and some like cadillac won't let you even change the destination or use the navi while driving.
thats why you pull that stock navi out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

thats why you pull that stock navi out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
they're actually pretty neat but not worth the money imo lol. I think my buddys in his escalade was part of a package and it was $2600+ taxes

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.