Poll- Should I box design again?

Do you think that Buck should design enclosures again?

• Yes

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Drop that bass

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Participant count
  • Participant list
i also have some business connections that would solely use me if i was designing. that's really the way to do it well is just design for shops or individuals that do whole systems. those type of people will really work with you and you can actually get **** done and make it badass
I agree, what you describe makes it easier and knowledgeable people take away the hard part. The "schooling" as they already have something sold or in mind. Having done it before or at least an idea of what works is golden.
For me I'll stick to simple boxes. A shop would expect any mods if they request certain measurements. I got time on my hands too but I told people I'm done so I'll stick to advice only.
I love working with certain people but they seem to be the ones hardest to pin down for payment too. They're always seemingly too busy to meet up. I never intended designing to turn into the business it was becoming anyways.
I just got ideas and like to help... lol

I agree, what you describe makes it easier and knowledgeable people take away the hard part. The "schooling" as they already have something sold or in mind. Having done it before or at least an idea of what works is golden.
For me I'll stick to simple boxes. A shop would expect any mods if they request certain measurements. I got time on my hands too but I told people I'm done so I'll stick to advice only.
I love working with certain people but they seem to be the ones hardest to pin down for payment too. They're always seemingly too busy to meet up. I never intended designing to turn into the business it was becoming anyways.
I just got ideas and like to help... lol

yeah man you're so on. i feel that in my soul lol.

there's a saying and i might butcher it, but the point is this:

you've gotta charge for the level of customer you want. how hard you make the initial entrance into your service will weed out a lot of BS.

yeah man you're so on. i feel that in my soul lol.

there's a saying and i might butcher it, but the point is this:

you've gotta charge for the level of customer you want. how hard you make the initial entrance into your service will weed out a lot of BS.
So true ^^^^ charging the price of a haircut left me with a bad taste in my mouth after the work and hassle I went thru on some designs.

Even charging more wouldn't have alleviated the back and forth and chasing people down in my case. I tend to offer too much info while describing my thoughts and that leads to more questions... Aarggh!

I'm so done I stopped competing and even swinging by events and shops, sold all my gear and have focused on other pursuits. But I still find myself offering advice or the occasional design. The car audio habit is hard to just turn off.

So true ^^^^ charging the price of a haircut left me with a bad taste in my mouth after the work and hassle I went thru on some designs.

Even charging more wouldn't have alleviated the back and forth and chasing people down in my case. I tend to offer too much info while describing my thoughts and that leads to more questions... Aarggh!

I'm so done I stopped competing and even swinging by events and shops, sold all my gear and have focused on other pursuits. But I still find myself offering advice or the occasional design. The car audio habit is hard to just turn off.

yeah i'm bad about exploding people's brains with too much info. i almost can't help it. haha you'll see a lot of my replies on here are like a paragraph long

yeah i'm bad about exploding people's brains with too much info. i almost can't help it. haha you'll see a lot of my replies on here are like a paragraph long
lol... I avoid most subjects like "gain setting, "rise", "configuration/loading" or needed "electrical"?..
Then there's filters, recording levels, staging/placement and deadening... etc... even enclosures too.
I just cant type enough examples. And what ever happened to researching anyways or learning it hands on?
Your experience sure adds to this forum. Glad you're back man.

lol... I avoid most subjects like "gain setting, "rise", "configuration/loading" or needed "electrical"?..
Then there's filters, recording levels, staging/placement and deadening... etc... even enclosures too.
I just cant type enough examples. And what ever happened to researching anyways or learning it hands on?
Your experience sure adds to this forum. Glad you're back man.

there's a problem though, potentially. if their system isn't loud even though your box is dope, then they're gonna complain

you don't really get paid for the time you spend explaining all this stuff to people. and it's not just newbies with a single 10 or pair of 12's or something. I've had dudes argue with me about their design when they should know better. people with like 4 3000 watt 18's. "yeah you can fit all 4 of those." no, no i can't. and i'm not going to try, and you should know better. Just because i'm good at designing or however you want to rate me, i'm not a magician. don't get mad at me because you bought too much stuff. even some dudes who are loud, i want to scream at them not to do some things. you can't short step your boxes. you should know that your 5000 watt subs need a big port. stop complaining because it won't fit on one face, for example. you are literally coming to me for this work. listen to me. i have no reason to bs you. i'm not going to let you force me to give you a shitty box. it's not happening.

Eh being disabled I am in the same situation of being around all the time and not much to do. So I just relax and go with the flow. I game quite a bit but I also go days without gaming as well. I also switch it up between console and PC so it isn't always the same.

But do what makes you feel best. Charge what you feel is fair. If people can't understand that then heck with them.

Sure, if you want to. I appreciated the advice you gave me recently and you seem to really know your stuff.

thanks bro. i really have a love for audio and i'm a legit dude. i'm not like a coporate entity you know? i like this stuff for the reasons everyone else does, and i like helping however i can so your system rocks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...