ID Ultra Horns + AA Carbon Fiber Mids = good match?

i wish i had a set of horns for my xs65's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
these threads always tease me

You install always teases me, lol very nice gear. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

You install always teases me, lol very nice gear. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
lol thanks. im pretty fond of it myself //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif thinking about adding a processor soon //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif and possibly another dls amp and make my 3 way active a 4 way active //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Im open for suggestions, if I decide to go the pro audio route, any particular driver you would recommend? 6.5" but im open to a 8" because im considering doing kick panels anyway. And this is aimed at a nice sounding daily driver on music, mostly R&B and Jazz.
jazz, you'll appreciate the smooth realism that higher effeciency drivers offer.

Lots of options tbh depends on budget. Surf

http://www.usspeaker.com/

they have lots of good high effeciency drivers to choose from. Look at JBL, Faitel, 18sound, and B&C. First I'd decide between 8's and 6.5s. If you honestly have the footroom, I'd do an 8. Most high effecincy 8's will still play to 70-80hz cleanly which is really all you SHOULD be running 6.5's down to anyway, unless it's like an extremis mid something. Once you figure that out, for a good mix of SPL and lower extension look for at least 4mm of xmax and 92db's of effeciency or greater.

jazz, you'll appreciate the smooth realism that higher effeciency drivers offer.
Lots of options tbh depends on budget. Surf

http://www.usspeaker.com/

they have lots of good high effeciency drivers to choose from. Look at JBL, Faitel, 18sound, and B&C. First I'd decide between 8's and 6.5s. If you honestly have the footroom, I'd do an 8. Most high effecincy 8's will still play to 70-80hz cleanly which is really all you SHOULD be running 6.5's down to anyway, unless it's like an extremis mid something. Once you figure that out, for a good mix of SPL and lower extension look for at least 4mm of xmax and 92db's of effeciency or greater.

Excellent, thanks for that sir, //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Excellent, thanks for that sir, //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
also don't be scared away by the 8ohm thing. Car audio drivers are 4ohm so their effeciency is misrated vs the industry standard voltage at 8ohm. Since they are taking half the power of the car audio mids they are going to be down in effeciency by 3db's since they get half the power, but car audio mids are rated 3 too high. So a pro audio mid at 93db1w/1m will be 3db's louder than 90db/1w/1m off the same amp, by 3db's, it all cancels out lower power vs a higher true effeciency, apples to apples on the numbers....

The AA would make the horns a complete waste as they would be underwhelming in comparison. The B&C would be a better match for sure.

also don't be scared away by the 8ohm thing. Car audio drivers are 4ohm so their effeciency is misrated vs the industry standard voltage at 8ohm. Since they are taking half the power of the car audio mids they are going to be down in effeciency by 3db's since they get half the power, but car audio mids are rated 3 too high. So a pro audio mid at 93db1w/1m will be 3db's louder than 90db/1w/1m off the same amp, by 3db's, it all cancels out lower power vs a higher true effeciency, apples to apples on the numbers....
The AA would make the horns a complete waste as they would be underwhelming in comparison. The B&C would be a better match for sure.

Sounds good, how would you guys feel about something like this,

The Ultras being pushed by a small 2 channel, (Old school Sony ES or one of the PG M25s that Mobeious is selling).

Along with a set of 18 Sound 8MB400

8" MID-BASS SPEAKER

fiberglassed in my door off my MB Quart 4125 bridged to 2 channels (500w x 2 at 4 ohm).

And again, thanks for the input, going to be a difficult decision for myself. A conventional 2 way would be alot simplier, however, this does sound promising and unique.

Sounds good, how would you guys feel about something like this,
The Ultras being pushed by a small 2 channel, (Old school Sony ES or one of the PG M25s that Mobeious is selling).

Along with a set of 18 Sound 8MB400

8" MID-BASS SPEAKER

fiberglassed in my door off my MB Quart 4125 bridged to 2 channels (500w x 2 at 4 ohm).

And again, thanks for the input, going to be a difficult decision for myself. A conventional 2 way would be alot simplier, however, this does sound promising and unique.

Looks like you followed my recommendations very well. Good xmax and sensativity and 45 degree off axis measurments look good until past 1k so it will mate up fine with a horn. Free air impedence spike is like 70ish so you won't get output any lower than that in a door. You'll probably find a 80hz 24db/octave slope your best bet, hard to say until it's installed though. One thing to realize though is that your doors will rattle like a *****, no matter what you do. I'm running a similar midbass in the very far edges of my kickpanels and you can feel my leather seats vibrate from just the frontwave hitting me at higher volumes. My floors really need deadened, trust me I drive around with a personal feet massager atm. If you are going to have to fiberglass anyway do you have room for kicks? This will get your overall pathlengths close as well as get the mids and horns closer together.

Anyway once you see what a speaker setup like that can do you'll be glad you went with it over a regular low effeciency car audio setup. I can't imagine ever being remotely happy with anything else. Anyway once you get it done you'll find you can demo stuff other than rap and be impressively loud and clean, few cars can do that. I'd download:

Alice in chains- would (unplugged)

all-american rejects- move along

disturbed-indestructible

Avenged sevenfold-strength of the world (opening is silly if you car can properly do the opening)

the drums tracks from the Focal SQ disk (check DIYMA for a download link, I think they still work lol)

are u using full or mini body style? what car was this in?

2004 Ford Crown Vic, plan on full body if I can fit them, though after some measurements under the dash including accounting for the kicks, it might be the mini bodies...

8" in the kicks is possible, have to move a couple of things, but def is possible, but a 6.5" would be better space wise.

if you go full bodies you could cross the horns down to 800hz. remember with the full bodies you could point the drivers either up into the dash or down towards the floor. i have mine towards the floor. i run dual x65 with my full bodies. If i remember right i think i have it set at horns 800 and up mids 800-80 and subs 80 down i can't recall. if your goin with 8's in the kicks see if you can vent them into your sub frame if you have one.

if you go full bodies you could cross the horns down to 800hz. remember with the full bodies you could point the drivers either up into the dash or down towards the floor. i have mine towards the floor. i run dual x65 with my full bodies. If i remember right i think i have it set at horns 800 and up mids 800-80 and subs 80 down i can't recall. if your goin with 8's in the kicks see if you can vent them into your sub frame if you have one.

Ive seen you install on here and over on IDs forum, 94 Lesabre correct? And I completely forgot that the full bodies could be aimed down as well. I could do dual drivers in the doors, but it would cost me sig more money for the fiberglass work, as im having it done by a local guy I trust.

I honestly believe I have the room for the full bodies, if I remove the mounting tabs off the ends of the horns. Ive been doing alot of reading up on them for quite sometime now as a hobby, just was a little afraid to take the plunge.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.