IA DP 15 vs FI SP4 15???

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
Ok, so before everyone says they are 2 totally different subs hear out my situation.

My Amp is a Soundstream Ta1.3k rated 3k @ .5 and 2500 @ 1ohm(probably would do 2700-2800 @ .5 and 2300 @ 1 ohm)

-So i currently have a FI Audio SP415 Dual 2 ohm sub. The sub is rated at 3k rms. I got it because i thought that i may upgrade amp power etc. But im 95% sure i wont be. I like the sub its just more sub than i need lol.

-I have a buddy near me that has a Incriminator Audio Death Penalty 15 Dual 1.4 ohm, Rated 2k Rms. I feel this sub would better meet my needs lol and perform better on the power i have.

We were talking and he runs a bit more power than i have and he said he would be interested in possibly trading and him adding some cash.

To me i think its a good trade, the IA is a good quality sub and will probably perform a bit better then the SP4 will with the power i have available and with the IA i can wire to .7ohm and gain some more power and be closer to the rated power(after rise and voltage depending).

I mean in the end the subs price tag are not much different to far apart( DP15- $519 and SP415- $575 right now  

Just looking for some thoughts on this?

I'd take the DP all day long but that's just me.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
lol ive actually wanted a DP a few times and i know they are good subs. I just figure for me it would be alot easier to power with my 3k. It will take my amp just fine

lol ive actually wanted a DP a few times and i know they are good subs. I just figure for me it would be alot easier to power with my 3k. It will take my amp just fine
I just finished a box for 2 12" Lethals tuned up at 38 and man it slaps down low. I'll see if I can upload it.

https://vid.me/8Txl
kewl im at work right now but ill check it out as soon as i can

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

I just finished a box for 2 12" Lethals tuned up at 38 and man it slaps down low. I'll see if I can upload it.
but i think i may just go ahead and make the trade. I think it will be more benificial to me

[quote name='bgowdy']@hispls; you seem to like incriminator. your thoughts?[/QUOTE]

The way I see this, you have a tradeoff. Likely you can play wide open without much fear of breaking the SP4, probably not so much with the DP which you could probably break with your amp if you're not mindful.

DP should have an edge on efficiency over the 4" coil though.

Really nobody says anything bad about IA products. Seen quite a few in action and Jacob Fuller had good things to say about them which goes a long way in my book.

IF you were talking about ordering new, the biggest downside with Fi products is the build time when you order, but for a trade, all things being equal the DP would probably do everything the SP4 would except for long term thermal power handling.

OH, if you broke either I'd wager a recone for the DP would be literally half the price of the SP4 (cost and availability of parts is why I personally stay away from 4" coils).

Im a fan of IA Subs. Based on wiring a bit lower, and going from a 4" coil to 3", you will absolutely have an easier time powering the IA. You might lose a little bottem end depending on box, but you'll likely gain peak output while bottom end loss is negligible

The way I see this, you have a tradeoff. Likely you can play wide open without much fear of breaking the SP4, probably not so much with the DP which you could probably break with your amp if you're not mindful.
DP should have an edge on efficiency over the 4" coil though.

Really nobody says anything bad about IA products. Seen quite a few in action and Jacob Fuller had good things to say about them which goes a long way in my book.

IF you were talking about ordering new, the biggest downside with Fi products is the build time when you order, but for a trade, all things being equal the DP would probably do everything the SP4 would except for long term thermal power handling.

OH, if you broke either I'd wager a recone for the DP would be literally half the price of the SP4 (cost and availability of parts is why I personally stay away from 4" coils).
I see. I pay close attentions when playing hard. Were as i never blew the older model American Bass Hd15 i had. Ran it for a year no smoke or nothing lol. It was still ridiculously stiff when i traded it off, but i dont really go hard on my subs. Riding daily i usually dont play more then at half power. The only time i really get on it is at a comps(which are just occasional).

As far as power the DP would probably see now more then the 2k its rated power unless i got lucky on a burp.

Right for a recone the SP4 is high for recones.

Im a fan of IA Subs. Based on wiring a bit lower, and going from a 4" coil to 3", you will absolutely have an easier time powering the IA. You might lose a little bottem end depending on box, but you'll likely gain peak output while bottom end loss is negligible
I was happy with the low end that my American Bass HD15 produced and we all know how cheap the sofites are in those. I figure the i will be happy the DP as well and i know the sofites in them have to be better then American Bass lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bgowdy

5,000+ posts
Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
bgowdy
Campbellsville, Ky
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date