I want SPL what subs should i get?

Who in this thread that has responded has actually used both the L7 and the hdc3 in similar setups with similar power? Compared them head to head? Tried for max SPL with both? Own or has acces to a TL and metered them and built several SPL and daily boxes?
Anyone? Oh, besides me, that is.
I have done a few tests over the years with many setups and products. In some cases depending on the application and enclosure build the L7s did do better. I'm not saying it is a better sub or that AQ is a better sub. I'm saying it is dependent on the application for which will perform better.

If we are talking thermal handling even though the HDC does not have to good of cooling it still beats out the L7 easily.

Its simple buy and aq motor and basket have it reconed using quality soft parts. Will cost around the same price as a new AQ but alot better.. But stock vs stock I would still go with AQ..

Anybody who says L7's have potential to get loud because they have more cone area than a round sub obviously has no idea what they are doing.

I've owned L7's and built SPL enclosures for them. Key word in that sentence is OWNED. As in no longer own. As in "sold them as soon as I could".

If you're going for maximum SPL, 9 times out of 10 the sub with higher motor force/BL is going to win, no matter the power level. My 9510 absolutely STOMPS every other sub I've tested on power ranging from 600 watts to 4000+. Just because one sub is rated for 500 and another is rated for 2000 doesn't mean the 500w sub is going to be louder than the 2kw sub on 500 watts.

Hell, my 9510 is louder than several 12's I've tested, once again proving that more cone area is not always better.

In this scenario I would go HDC3's without a second of hesitation.

Taylorfade pretty much summed up the rest of my thoughts.

Anybody who says L7's have potential to get loud because they have more cone area than a round sub obviously has no idea what they are doing.
I've owned L7's and built SPL enclosures for them. Key word in that sentence is OWNED. As in no longer own. As in "sold them as soon as I could".

If you're going for maximum SPL, 9 times out of 10 the sub with higher motor force/BL is going to win, no matter the power level. My 9510 absolutely STOMPS every other sub I've tested on power ranging from 600 watts to 4000+. Just because one sub is rated for 500 and another is rated for 2000 doesn't mean the 500w sub is going to be louder than the 2kw sub on 500 watts.

Hell, my 9510 is louder than several 12's I've tested, once again proving that more cone area is not always better.

In this scenario I would go HDC3's without a second of hesitation.

Taylorfade pretty much summed up the rest of my thoughts.
My statement still holds true. I have done tons of testing and application is everything. Not every setup likes the same the thing. Again, I'm not arguing which is better at all. I will admit that it is not very often and takes a special circumstance for the L7 to win out, but it could/can. But to make a general statement that one sub is louder then another is not accurate. There are many factors that come into play when considering SPL and depending on each specific application different subs and enclosure designs are required to achieve the numbers wanted.

Now if you want to say for this particular application/build sub A works better(is louder) I could agree with those kinds of statements.

My statement still holds true. I have done tons of testing and application is everything. Not every setup likes the same the thing. Again, I'm not arguing which is better at all. I will admit that it is not very often and takes a special circumstance for the L7 to win out, but it could/can. But to make a general statement that one sub is louder then another is not accurate. There are many factors that come into play when considering SPL and depending on each specific application different subs and enclosure designs are required to achieve the numbers wanted.
Now if you want to say for this particular application/build sub A works better(is louder) I could agree with those kinds of statements.
I did state in my post that in this particular case I would go with the HDC3 without a doubt.

However, given all the testing I've done and have seen others do, I honestly can't think of one setup where if somebody was running L7's and they dropped in a more "spl" oriented sub that they wouldn't gain. L7's just don't have the motor force/efficiency that larger subs do.

It would take a weird set of circumstances for an L7 to be the loudest sub of the bunch. Hell, most sub builders (jacob @ sundown included) that more often than not the larger/stronger subs will be louder on less power than the smaller subs.

The main reason why people don't buy them is because of the cost and noticeable difference. Most people can't hear the difference between 145 db and 147 db. Might not make a difference to the average listener, but that's an astronomical difference for an SPL competitor.

I know it's bad to make general statements when it comes to SPL, but I have a hard time not doing it under these circumstances. I can get a type-r louder than probably 95% of this forum. That doesn't mean it's a good SPL sub, it just means that I know what I'm doing. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

In most cases people will get better results from the bigger sub. It's, for lack of a better term, "easier" to get the more powerful louder, especially if you aren't an SPL competitor and don't do a lot of building/testing.

The main beef I had about the posts in this thread are with the people saying that based on specs and/or cone area, the L7's should be better. I was merely trying to prove that specs mean jack crap most of the time, as does cone area.

I did state in my post that in this particular case I would go with the HDC3 without a doubt.
However, given all the testing I've done and have seen others do, I honestly can't think of one setup where if somebody was running L7's and they dropped in a more "spl" oriented sub that they wouldn't gain. L7's just don't have the motor force/efficiency that larger subs do.

It would take a weird set of circumstances for an L7 to be the loudest sub of the bunch. Hell, most sub builders (jacob @ sundown included) that more often than not the larger/stronger subs will be louder on less power than the smaller subs.

The main reason why people don't buy them is because of the cost and noticeable difference. Most people can't hear the difference between 145 db and 147 db. Might not make a difference to the average listener, but that's an astronomical difference for an SPL competitor.

I know it's bad to make general statements when it comes to SPL, but I have a hard time not doing it under these circumstances. I can get a type-r louder than probably 95% of this forum. That doesn't mean it's a good SPL sub, it just means that I know what I'm doing. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

In most cases people will get better results from the bigger sub. It's, for lack of a better term, "easier" to get the more powerful louder, especially if you aren't an SPL competitor and don't do a lot of building/testing.

The main beef I had about the posts in this thread are with the people saying that based on specs and/or cone area, the L7's should be better. I was merely trying to prove that specs mean jack crap most of the time, as does cone area.
Very true. It does take some odd circumstances for the L7, but I found them a few times. I agree though that motor force will make a huge difference. That is one of the reasons the HDC subs do so well in SPL.

I still think building for SPL is easier then doing a daily myself.

Very true. It does take some odd circumstances for the L7, but I found them a few times. I agree though that motor force will make a huge difference. That is one of the reasons the HDC subs do so well in SPL.
I still think building for SPL is easier then doing a daily myself.
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish in SPL and what you're trying to accomplish for a daily setup. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Building for SPL is easy, as it's just box after box. It's the testing and tuning that takes foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.