I think this is an amp issue

9runn1

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi I think this is an amp issue. I have an 07 classic silverado truck, it came factory with the bose stereo system. My issue is when I first get in and turn on the radio if I turn it all the way up it is extremely loud but after about 30 mins or so the volume has dropped to the point if I turn it all the way up it's about half of the normal volume.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my issue.

Not sure if yours has steering wheel controls, but if it does: that may be your issue. My wife has a Bose system that won't get loud unless I use the steering wheel control to turn it up. The volume knob on the stereo is almost useless. If it doesn't, your amp may be the issue. You can purchase a harness that allows you to bypass the factory amplifier and install an aftermarket one. Have you considered replacing your head unit with a quality one that has an amplifier in it? Or, replacing the head unit and purchasing an aftermarket amplifier. Just some thoughts.

Not sure if yours has steering wheel controls, but if it does: that may be your issue. My wife has a Bose system that won't get loud unless I use the steering wheel control to turn it up. The volume knob on the stereo is almost useless. If it doesn't, your amp may be the issue. You can purchase a harness that allows you to bypass the factory amplifier and install an aftermarket one. Have you considered replacing your head unit with a quality one that has an amplifier in it? Or, replacing the head unit and purchasing an aftermarket amplifier. Just some thoughts.
I

Whoops new phone...different stereo but I'm kinda on the fence right now. A stereo shop where I live said in order to keep my steering wheel controls I would either have to get a pricey bose stereo or I could go with like a kenwood for instance but I would need a special $200 harness to maintain steering wheel controls

Have you considered going with a stereo that doesn't use steering wheel control. I have a JVC unit that has a volume knob, but everything else is controlled by the touch screen. I even have the option of controlling the volume by swirling a finger clockwise to increase the volume or counterclockwise to decrease it.

Whoops new phone...different stereo but I'm kinda on the fence right now. A stereo shop where I live said in order to keep my steering wheel controls I would either have to get a pricey bose stereo or I could go with like a kenwood for instance but I would need a special $200 harness to maintain steering wheel controls
theres gotta be a cheaper way. keep scouring the internet

Could the factory amplifier get hot after running for a while and reduce output to try and mitigate the high temp?
That's what came to my mind when I read your symptoms.

I have a hifonics Zeus zx1000. 500 x2
And it was a gift along with my 12” American bass xd and want to sell them both is there any way you could give me a price range to ask for them both
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    636.6 KB · Views: 13
theres gotta be a cheaper way. keep scouring the internet

I agree that there has to be a cheaper way. Stop past your local Best Buy for an estimate. You should be able to get the adapter and install for less than $200. The local shops usually charge higher prices. Ask me how I know??????

Could the factory amplifier get hot after running for a while and reduce output to try and mitigate the high temp?
That's what came to my mind when I read your symptoms.
I don't know where the amp is located but I always have the heat on coming out of the vents in the dashboard. I probably subject the stereo itself to unusually high temps. And your theory makes sense. So it could even be the stereo that's getting to hot and affecting the output?

Yeah. Thermal throttling?
If you wanted to explore further find out where amp is located and do some experiments, try to keep it cooler and see if volume stays louder.

I don't know where the amp is located but I always have the heat on coming out of the vents in the dashboard. I probably subject the stereo itself to unusually high temps. And your theory makes sense. So it could even be the stereo that's getting to hot and affecting the output?
I would do a google search to find out where the amplifier is located.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...