I Think I Need a Truck Already!!!

he is giving those btls 800 and clipping the **** outa them then tried to sell them as great condition, and never even mentioned one is siliconed from a puncture when he mounted them...
Im not sure what just happened here, when did this turn into a for sale thread gone bad?

yeha however a sub can be over powerd to an extent with no damage say a sub like the btl which is rated at 2000 well if i gave it 3000 that would be over powering rite, and if i gave it 4000 it would be overpoweringthe **** outa it based on manufacture recomendations rite? but we all know it will take it like a cham if its clean.... now we over power it for x amount of hours and then we clip it for x amount of hours which form of power would "kill the sub faster"

Im not sure what just happened here, when did this turn into a for sale thread gone bad?
no another incident a while ago he tried to sell those subs on a local forum and ased for offers well another guy was selling 2 bnib btls for 450 same as his except bnib so i offerd him 300 since his hald a puncture and was abused and he got all crazy , when he asked for offers,. again that was just an incident that added to his list of reasons for people to not like him...

yama he called you?
who nick?? he dont got my ## though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif:wow://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

Aloha

So if you decided to drive blind folded, but compensated by driving slower, would you later claim you crashed because you drove too slowly?
Driving slow causes accidents.

Its simple logic.
so in your analogy, driving blindfolded is equivalent to underpiwering and clipping is equivalent to driving slower? You are obviously an idiot. If you own a pair of btl 18s and you are only giving them 800 watts. You obviously feel like they should be much louder so in turn, you, being the idiot you are, crank your gain all the way up to become as loud as possible with your measly 800 watts and in doing so rape your brand new btls with "dirty wattage"

i have heard to solo x 18's and it sounded good...you are an idiot if you think a sub built for spl is going to sound as good as a sub built for sq

he is the only one on his street...his shitty setup ran everyone off

when did i EVER say i expected them to sound similiar? i just said that i don't consider a sub built for SPL that doesnt even remotely have a hint sound quality as an accidental by product a real subwoofer

Underpowering a sub kills the sub only if the user is cranking the amp up and clipping the output signal. This "cliipped" or square waved signal does damage to the voice coils as it is like sending DC voltage to a voice coil. A sub relies on AC voltage. or Alternating Current to provide a push/pull motion with the electromagnet created by the voice coil and the motor. This push/pull motion allows for proper cooling of the voice coils. DC voltage will create heat with little movement of the cone peak to peak, the coils do not have proper venting or cooling to cool down the voice coils. This is how under powering a sub is dangerous. Not necessarily through low volume levels, as that power is clean and has a clear peak to peak wave through the output of the amp. Overpowering a sub will blow a sub only if the sub starts to clip or over throw. Then the sub is creating a square wave like situation in that it is not allowing the clean AC signal to travel its full peak to peak and the sub builds heat from at the top of the xmax travel and the bottom of the xmax travel because the signal wants the sub to move past mechanical limits. This is less dangerous than underpowering as the full xmax of the woofer allows more cooling and the heat is only building at the top and bottom of the woofers cone travel. Underpowering or clipping a subs signal is building heat throughout the full stroke of the woofers xmax which kills woofers faster.

If you own a pair of btl 18s and you are only giving them 800 watts. You obviously feel like they should be much louder so in turn, you, being the idiot you are, crank your gain all the way up to become as loud as possible with your measly 800 watts and in doing so rape your brand new btls with "dirty wattage"
If you adjust your gains artificially high, and clip the amplifier, what happens? Output increases beyond the amp's rated specs. If this increase in output then surpasses the sub's thermal limits, were you actually 'underpowering' the speaker?
so in your analogy, driving blindfolded is equivalent to underpiwering and clipping is equivalent to driving slower? You are obviously an idiot.
You can't follow my simple analogy, but Im the idiot? Not even in your imaginary world, apparently. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wave.gif.002382ce7d7c19757ab945cc69819de1.gif

kay. Explain how you relate driving with a blindfold

On to sending a clipped signal to a speaker?

Clipping the amp is sending dirty signal to the voice coils which will cause more

Damage faster than overpowering. Are you

Saying that in this case by upping the gain

And "surpassing the amplifiers rated specs" on this 800 watt amp that he surpassed the thermal and mechanical limits of 2 18" btls? Also, are you saying that a clipped signal is "okay" for a speaker to recieve?

kay. Explain how you relate driving with a blindfold

On to sending a clipped signal to a speaker?

Clipping the amp is sending dirty signal to the voice coils which will cause more

Damage faster than overpowering. Are you

Saying that in this case by upping the gain

And "surpassing the amplifiers rated specs" on this 800 watt amp that he surpassed the thermal and mechanical limits of 2 18" btls? Also, are you saying that a clipped signal is "okay" for a speaker to recieve?

If you adjust your gains artificially high, and clip the amplifier, what happens? Output increases beyond the amp's rated specs. If this increase in output then surpasses the sub's thermal limits, were you actually 'underpowering' the speaker?
OMG it is CLEARLY obvious you have absolutely no IDEA what you are talking about..

Here let me help you oh great one LOL omg this is the best post i've read in a long time...

Here is this page... Well he may not be as SMART as you but he will have to do...

http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm

Here let me quote him so you don't have to leave the page...

Contrary to popular belief, an amplifiers gain control does not determine the maximum power that an amplifier can produce. As long as the preamp/drive signal has sufficient level, the amplifier will produce its maximum power output level. The gain controls are used to match the amplifer's gain to the gain of the other amplifiers in the system (in the case of a multi-amp system). The gain controls also allow you to match the amplifier(s) to the head unit. Not all head units have the same maximum preamp output voltage. Some head units are capable of producing 9 vrms out while others are only capable of 1.5 vrms out.

Please note that a head unit will reach its maximum output level (clipping) well before the volume control reaches the upper end of its range (usually at a point of 85-90% of its maximum range). This is especially true of tape decks, not because the audio section is of lesser quality but because some tapes are recorded at lower levels than others and the manufacturer must design the deck to be able to produce a sufficient output level with virtually any tape.

Lets take this further

I like how you try feverishly to make the point that clipping is actually overpowering... WRONG AGAIN...

Clipping is generally when an amplifier is pushed to create a signal with more power than its power supply can produce, it will amplify the signal only up to its maximum capacity, at which point the signal will be amplified no further. As the signal simply "cuts" or "clips" at the maximum capacity of the amplifier, the signal is said to be "clipping". The extra signal which is beyond the capability of the amplifier is simply cut off, resulting in a sine wave becoming a distorted squarewave type waveform.

I have a 800 watt amp and a 1000rms sub...

Once again the illusion of the speaker being safe (hey it's a 1000 watt speaker i can crank the volume since my amp only does 800) they crank the knob, the signal is clipped and the sub goes poof... Now reading the above it's apparent that power is not infinite thus the reason the signal is clipped the amp can NO LONGER produce the power you want it to so it CLIPS the wave... so now that amp is putting out 900 watts of square waveform WHICH IS UNDER THE RMS POWER HANDLING OF THE SUB (UNDERPOWERING) and damage to the sub will occur.....

I've done multiple warranties on a lot of subs and 2 things always become apparent...

1. The sub blew due to having an amp under it's rated power on them causing the user to "crank it up" sending clipped signals to subs and blowing coils..

2. They have no idea what a SSF is for and why it is important in Ported enclosures.....

Most of the poepl overpowering their subs will be gentle on gains and be afraid to turn up the volume keeping levels (signal levels) clean and the subs happy...

Now don't get me wrong.. a clipped signal on an amp that is over the subs RMS rating will fry it faster then the amp that is under the subs rms rating... but the point is that the "false sense" of underpowering a sub is FAR MORE dangerous then Overpowering it..

PLEASE for the love of god before you start running your mouth and ACTING like your are the all knowing person.. educate yourself cause right now the subject shifted from the island saint guy... To just how you have probably posted the funniest statement i've ever read....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.