I still can't figure this stuff out..RMS..and what not

ztkraptor
10+ year member

OK.

Well i'm looking to get pretty good performance out of my speakers and system im trying to put together.

Aight, well.

I currently replaced my stock head unit.(was a monsoon)

I am using a Sony Head Unit now.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665755568

Along with some Infinity Reference 6x9's in the back.(100RMS-300 Max)

Still using stock door speakers.

Also I'm still using the Stock Monsoon Amp, that came with the car(no clue what the power is on it)

I believe I can use the Monsoon amp, for just my door speakers for now.

I am looking to get a sub, and also run my rear speakers off of the AMP.

Any Suggestions?

I basically have RCAs run to the back and also have the wiring kit for the amp run.

The reason I want to do this(run the rear speakers off the amp) is because with the monsoon, the rears were Duals so like stuffs all messed up. Like I think im only getting Highs or only getting Lows with my rears because of this.

Now my questions are about this RMS rating.

Like I see Apms that have like 2x75RMS. Now wouldn't i wanna find an amp with 2x100RMS So that I can run my rears at peak power?

Like that kinda stuff im kind of messed up on.

Also, I just wanna make sure I can't blow my speakers out.

With the current setup, I can get to around 30 on my volume before I start to hear distortion, well some songs its even lower like around 20ish.

Could It be that the current amp, can't push enough power to the speakers?

These are all things that I am a bit confused on.

Also I wanna get a sub, just a small 10'' that isn't super expensive but still will be decent. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you very much!!

yes RMS ratings is wat the manufacturer says the wattage that the speakers can operate at without frying...some subs and wat not can handle more but thats besides the point. I would get rid of the other amp and that bullshiz and just install a 4 channel amp for the speakers, get another pair for the front, and get a sub and amp....if you just want a single ten look into RE....preferably the Se or Sr's.

Like I see Apms that have like 2x75RMS. Now wouldn't i wanna find an amp with 2x100RMS So that I can run my rears at peak power?

You dont want to run them at peak power. You want to keep them at RMS.

So you could go with 100x2 and just turn your gains down a bit.

You should also think about replacing your stock speakers with a nice component set.

Also, I just wanna make sure I can't blow my speakers out.

With the current setup, I can get to around 30 on my volume before I start to hear distortion, well some songs its even lower like around 20ish.

Could It be that the current amp, can't push enough power to the speakers?

The factory amps and speakers are usually matched pretty well power wise.

Most of the oem amps/subs are not as good as aftermarket.

Run your rear speakers off this amp for rear fill.

Also I wanna get a sub, just a small 10'' that isn't super expensive but still will be decent. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you very much!!

Your sub question requires more info.

Whats your budget and what do you listen to mainly?

Be a good idea to get an amp for your sub too.

Well, Yeah I figure I could just get rid of the monsoon amp, The HU Has SUB outs(Left/right) Rear outs (left/right) and Front outs (left/right)

Now my vehicle. Has Door Speakers(6.5 inch They arn't 4x6's i don't think) then the door also has a 1 or 1.5 incher.

What I planned on doing was finding an amp.

That I can hook my rears up to. From the Rear outs on the Sony.

And Also, from the sub outs to a sub(which I do not have yet)

Can I do this with a single amp?

the rear speakers are 300 watt max(100RMS)

How do i get max performance out of them.

What Amp numbers should I be looking for? For this setup.

I was planning to keep the monsoon amp/setup for the door speakers and just focus on the rears and a sub.

But let me know what you think.

Right now id say i have around 300-400 to spend on an amp/sub.

Just to clear up a few thigns.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=REF9633CF&cat=REF&ser=REF&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

Are my current Rear Speakers.

and

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665755568

is my current head unit.

Rest is stock.

I'm worried about how to properly find an AMP with the proper RMS some only have like 75..seems like id be missing out on some power.

The Monsoon amp that is in my car currently, has no RCA connections, has no writing on it, I don't even know what power output it has.

But, honestly. Most people with my car (grand am gt) just use the stock setup for the front speakers.

And then use the RCA outputs on a new head unit to power the rears and a sub.

I'm just worried about the impedance and how to setup stuff.

I have read things and looked at diagrams. And I kinda understand it. But, I just want to make sure it is down right.

Just to clear up a few thigns.http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=REF9633CF&cat=REF&ser=REF&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

Are my current Rear Speakers.

and

is my current head unit.

Rest is stock.

I'm worried about how to properly find an AMP with the proper RMS some only have like 75..seems like id be missing out on some power.

The Monsoon amp that is in my car currently, has no RCA connections, has no writing on it, I don't even know what power output it has.

But, honestly. Most people with my car (grand am gt) just use the stock setup for the front speakers.

And then use the RCA outputs on a new head unit to power the rears and a sub.

I'm just worried about the impedance and how to setup stuff.

I have read things and looked at diagrams. And I kinda understand it. But, I just want to make sure it is down right.
Get a 4 channel amp that does like 75RMS @2 ohms by 4 channels. That would be plenty, and would sound A LOT better than powering it with your stock head unit. By the way, check your private messages.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.