I really need an opinion on this no-name unit

Shifted

Indy
Greetings oh great and wise installers on the interwebs, I beg thee for help.

I cannot find anyone that has used this unit yet, I emailed buyers but they all seem to be letting it sit in a box on a shelf?

Anywho, this double DIN on Ebay has BT and Navigation on a 7" touch screen and it looks like it could work out well for a budget system, but I wanted to see if anyone recognized it etc..Who makes it and is it box-o-crap?

I really like the features and the price, but I cannot tell if it has a low pas x over for a sub?

Comments?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220478838245&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Here is a link to a finished auction.

DSCF4286.jpg

2170.jpg

Looks like an eonon p.o.s. All that chinese garbage has the 150 button generic ass remote.

I say stay away and just buy something decent. You can grab a unit a hundred times nicer for a little more.

Looks like an eonon p.o.s. All that chinese garbage has the 150 button generic ass remote.
I say stay away and just buy something decent. You can grab a unit a hundred times nicer for a little more.
Like what for example? I want GPS, BT, Ipod control and USB & SDcard slot for under $300. Can I do that with something not made by the same company as far as we know?

I mean, its ALL Chinese garbage, just with different silk screening....AFAIK the Mac I am using was made one production line over, hence the reason for my asking who makes it etc.

Really? Not always.
In this case, you do. There's a reason it's so cheap ya know.

As for all those features you want for under $300, you're not gonna find it. If you are set on all that for the price, then buy that unit. You'll receive mediocre quality bluetooth, a piss poor gps, etc. Been there done that.

As for a decent unit, you can buy like a pioneer p3100dvd for around $320. It'll do dvd, usb, etc but no bluetooth and gps built in.

In this case, you do. There's a reason it's so cheap ya know.
As for all those features you want for under $300, you're not gonna find it. If you are set on all that for the price, then buy that unit. You'll receive mediocre quality bluetooth, a piss poor gps, etc. Been there done that.

So you have tried one of these then?

I dont want to sound like an ass, but you do not always get what you pay for, I have purchased nice stuff that was crap before and I know you have also....I have had some dead hi end stuff in the past.

I was a Vizio dealer before anyone even know they were off the boat, of course they were cheap junk from that bad place...I am not saying they were or are great, but they sell more than any other brand, somebody had to buy them first I guess.

My question still stands, does anyone know who makes it or has anyone actually messed with one of those units?

Here is the deal, people want cheap. So, companies build cheap crap that they can sell to the dirt cheapas customers. What you end up w/ is a crap item that will work for a little while and kinda perform ok.

I have sold the Power Acoustik's like this (99% sure same build house, just non-badged), and I had more returns on them than Pioneer and Clarion combined. The would work for ~6months and then the cheap plastic gears for the screen would strip out and all hell would break loose.

So you have tried one of these then?
I dont want to sound like an ass, but you do not always get what you pay for, I have purchased nice stuff that was crap before and I know you have also....I have had some dead hi end stuff in the past.

I was a Vizio dealer before anyone even know they were off the boat, of course they were cheap junk from that bad place...I am not saying they were or are great, but they sell more than any other brand, somebody had to buy them first I guess.

My question still stands, does anyone know who makes it or has anyone actually messed with one of those units?
You will have a very hard time getting a real opinion in this forum. You will hear many say it's crap - yet they have no experience - and specifically can't comment on this because they do not know who made it. Typically it is a post from an illiterate dweeb who thinks what they own is the best. They mostly are under educated, and very adept at blanket statements like "it *****" "stuff made in China is cheap". Not knowing or understanding that what they purchased may have come off the same assembly lines.

These are mostly made and designed in either China or Korea. Before buying anything, find out who makes it, then find out how it is supported. Some of these guys have forums for user Q and A which will show you strengths and weaknesses.

Some things to look out for - Does the steering interface work (does not exist on Eonon)? Can the Nav run other software (like iGo Amigo)? What nav comes with the unit? Does it support iPhone (along with iPod) - and what OS iPhone is supported? Does it have specific interfaces to your car (this is very nice come install time).

Nav to me is pretty important, and most come with generic Nav software that is quite poor. It seems all the generic boxes on EBay run WINCE - so some are hackable for customization...

I've been running one in my Prius for 2 weeks now... Far better sound quality (there is no comparison), and all those nice features - it took my 30 minutes to install, and it just plugged into my existing wiring (no changes). I know when my backup cam comes, i'll pull the HU out again to plug it in - now that I've done it once, I bet it won't take more than 5 minutes to pull and plug.

The one I chose is newer (has 800x480 resolution), and hence {IMO} has a better GUI. The weak point on some of these Asian branded/non branded HUs is the GUI and support (I like my GUI, but I HATE the support - you're pretty much left to figuring out menus on your own - unless you find a support forum).

My all in was $650 - but includes backup cam, parking sensors (show distance on backup image), DTV box w/antenna. As you have noted, there are much cheaper solutions. I bought mine because I have a new car with no aftermarket plastic dash adapters - so I was stuck with a 200mm x 100mm opening.

Things I don't really like - Bluetooth sounds like a car speakerphone - so when you stream music A2DP, the sound is not good - workaround is USB or iPod interfaces. Also as stated, support - the user guide is useless (34 pages - should be more like 100+), and emailing China takes days (1 to send an email, 1 for response that likely isn't the question asked).

I like it overall - it's just taking time to figure everything out (it took a week before I knew how to program my steering wheel buttons).

Sounds like your mind's made up. Go for it.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
This. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Buy it, feggot.

DO NOT BUY A NO NAME HU.I did and it's not worth it. Not even for free.
Oh really - and what was the name/brand - and where did you buy it? What makes it not worth it - even for free?

Another nicely detailed, well thought out post - brought to you by the genius who will be installing your next stereo... Count the coins in your ash-tray //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.