I need your advice: 8" sub in a custom made enclosure for Audi A3

galanot

Hello,

This is my first post. I'm a total neophyte and I need your help :)

I've recently purchased this custom made enclosure for my Audi A3:

Audi A3 8P 8" Enclosure £81.99 - Custom Fit Subwoofer Enclosures - Audi Radioworld Car Audio: Accessories, Headunits, Speakers, Subwoofers, Amplifiers & More

I wanted an OEM look for my car that was the best option out there. Now is time to choose a decent 8" subwoofer but I'm not even sure that this enclosure will support a good gear due to its size.

My A3 has already a Bose system and the idea is just to replace the subwoofer and to add an amp to power it. The Bose amp will be used for the existing 7 speakers.

The bass of the Bose system is total crap so any upgrade will be good.

What do you think? The specs are 154mm of depth and 8 litres of volume (sorry guys I'm used to the metric system!)

Any advice about the amp would be appreciated as well :)

Sorry for my poor English and thank you!

galanot

Madrid, SPAIN

Thank you for your advice :) I've starting to look for those two options.

I've seen this one too: JL Audio 8W3v3-4. Is more expensive that those you two, I don't know if it's just because of the brand or it's a better sub. The type of music I listen to is mostly rock, I'm looking for good precise bass than power (I wont have much power from a 8" anyway)

I've sent an email to JL technical support about fitting this particular sub to thia custom enclosure and they say that is a little bit small. They suggest me to add some Polyfill. What do you think?

Regarding the amp, I guess that I haven't many choices neither. Any suggestions?

Thank again!

G.

Thank you for your advice :) I've starting to look for those two options.
I've seen this one too: JL Audio 8W3v3-4. Is more expensive that those you two, I don't know if it's just because of the brand or it's a better sub. The type of music I listen to is mostly rock, I'm looking for good precise bass than power (I wont have much power from a 8" anyway)

I've sent an email to JL technical support about fitting this particular sub to thia custom enclosure and they say that is a little bit small. They suggest me to add some Polyfill. What do you think?

Regarding the amp, I guess that I haven't many choices neither. Any suggestions?

Thank again!

G.
JL w3 series will leave you wanting a lot more in bass, get a 8w7 or w6 if you want to run JL equipment. Any lower models, the sundown SD or an alpine type R will easily destroy that W3. With JL, you are paying a lot extra for the name brand then the woofer quality and performance itself.

As for amp choices, there's thousands of amps that can provide all the power you need, just depends on how much you want to spend.

JL w3 series will leave you wanting a lot more in bass, get a 8w7 or w6 if you want to run JL equipment. Any lower models, the sundown SD or an alpine type R will easily destroy that W3. With JL, you are paying a lot extra for the name brand then the woofer quality and performance itself.As for amp choices, there's thousands of amps that can provide all the power you need, just depends on how much you want to spend.
The 8W7 needs 173mm of depth and I only have 154mm. The Alpine Type R is much smaller at 115mm, the Sundown SD is about 130mm.

Regarding the amp, I need something small that I can hide in the cabin, with enough power and with a remote control

Look in the classified section someone named something Chevy was selling a mrx m100 alpine for 100$ . This is a small amp that'll rock any of those woofers you mentioned . I have this amp and have powered 12" woofers with it . It's a steal at 100$

Look in the classified section someone named something Chevy was selling a mrx m100 alpine for 100$ . This is a small amp that'll rock any of those woofers you mentioned . I have this amp and have powered 12" woofers with it . It's a steal at 100$
Thank you mrpep. The only problem is that I'm in Spain and everyone here seems to be in the USA =D

BTW I've seen this: Sundown SA-8v2. Apparently it's a real little killer, but I couldn't find any information about its height and I don't know if it would fit into this enclosure...

I've found a couple of websites saying that the Sundown SA-8v2 is 5.25" depth. This is 133mm and it would fit my special box. Does it seem accurate to you?

thx!

G.

the sa8v2 is going to be too deep. What is your budget? there are lots of SQ oriented high end 8s that will work great in that enclosure

the sa8v2 is going to be too deep. What is your budget? there are lots of SQ oriented high end 8s that will work great in that enclosure
I've just received an email from Sundown technical support suggesting the SD-2 series instead of the SA because of the enclosure space and because they work better in a sealed box.

Regarding the budget, I'm prepared to spend some euros :)

I guess that my problem would be to find a Sundown distributor in Europe!

Do you have other suggestions for this special enclosure?

Thx!

I finally went to Sundown SD-2 (D2) with a SAE-600D amplifier. If everything goes as expected, I'll have these two installed by the end of next week.

I'll give you my feedback!

Idk I'm running just one 8 w3 and it has more than enough bass for me and the quality is very good. Everyone has their own opinion and yeh it isn't going to shake the neighborhood, it is an 8 after all. The box I have for my w3 makes it sound very good so it's just going to come down to the box regardless of which 8 you go for.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.