I need ideas for GTO build

Participant count
  • Participant list

06goat
10+ year member

bumpin bluegrass
Michigan
Okay guys I need a bit of help. Doing a SQ setup in my GTO and I dont know what to do with my substage. I dont want to put a lot of weight in my trunk, Plus, my spare tire and gas tank is in the trunk. I am keeping the spare in there, so its out of the question to remove and do a false floor. I have a small bit of room on the sides for maybe a couple 8's, but Idk how it would sound.

I have room to put (2) 6.5 subs in the rear deck(Barely, there is only 5in inbetween the deck and the gas tank) and (2) 6.5 subs on the interior quarter panel(behind front seats basically, im drawing a blank of what its called).

I could probably fit (2) 8's in the interior quarter panel but itd take a lot of fabricating and im not a fan of cutting this car up.

Im not going for a shitton of bass, again this is a SQ install

So if you could, just throw some ideas out there or add to one of mine

Equipment:

Kenwood KDC-X994

Elemental Designs nine.5

DD German Comp set

Substage-?

this, just do a small sealed box for it. wont take up much space at all or even do the 10".

doing the rear panels with 6.5s wont give you the lows of a 10 or 12" sub.

from that point, unless you plan to do some processing between the front stage and rear speakers ,leave the rears out and work on blending the front stage with the sub.

this, just do a small sealed box for it. wont take up much space at all or even do the 10". doing the rear panels with 6.5s wont give you the lows of a 10 or 12" sub.

from that point, unless you plan to do some processing between the front stage and rear speakers ,leave the rears out and work on blending the front stage with the sub.

I was looking at that sub...

As far as rear speakers go, there wont be any. Its the comp set up front in the doors and then there would be subs in the back seat area. I was thinking 2 8's but I havent messed around with any 8's to know how low they can get in a sealed enclosure or what not.

I was looking at that sub...
As far as rear speakers go, there wont be any. Its the comp set up front in the doors and then there would be subs in the back seat area. I was thinking 2 8's but I havent messed around with any 8's to know how low they can get in a sealed enclosure or what not.
i'm pretty sure they'll get low enough (cabin gain may help a bit too). ofcourse you wont be doing any crazy panel flexxing but u dont want that in a SQ system anyway.

Plus, being sealed you can run with no SSF and feel those low organ tones

i'm pretty sure they'll get low enough (cabin gain may help a bit too). ofcourse you wont be doing any crazy panel flexxing but u dont want that in a SQ system anyway.Plus, being sealed you can run with no SSF and feel those low organ tones
Another thing I was worried about was having one on each side. Would I have to time align since they are so far away from each other and facing each other? Or is time alignment not a big deal when dealing with lower frequencies?

Obviously I wont be concerned about flexing or anything below like 30hz. The goal is a relatively flat line with time alignment up front and minimal weight added.

Another thing I was worried about was having one on each side. Would I have to time align since they are so far away from each other and facing each other? Or is time alignment not a big deal when dealing with lower frequencies?
Obviously I wont be concerned about flexing or anything below like 30hz. The goal is a relatively flat line with time alignment up front and minimal weight added.

you'll want those frequencies to not be localizable anyway so t/a wont be needed to compensate for them facing each other

sometimes you can play with phasing on the subs to blend with the midbass though and give you more "upfront bass" but that can be just a simple wiring flip.

Dayton also has a reference line 8" sub. This is probably what I would go with seeing as a lot of people are complimenting the 10"s and 12"s.

you'll want those frequencies to not be localizable anyway so t/a wont be needed to compensate for them facing each other
sometimes you can play with phasing on the subs to blend with the midbass though and give you more "upfront bass" but that can be just a simple wiring flip.
Okay sweet. And when playing with the phasing, is it just a "swap and listen" to see what sounds best? Or would there be a better approach? Maybe swap the phasing on one and leave the other in phase?

2004 Pontiac GTO Photo Gallery Looks like plenty of room for a small sealed, polyfilled 10 on one side. The dayton HO still sounds good in a box as small as .4 ft3 with polyfil. Though they are not known for high output in any box size. A lot of guys port the 10 or go with a larger displacement model after being disappointed with the output. The titanic can have decent output and would handle that amp well if you ever wanted a little more output. Also the IDQ does well. Generally they will have a bit more output in the same box when compared to a titanic. Surely you can squeeze .6-.7 cubes out of one of the sides and polyfil at the rate of 1 lb to 1 cu ft for a 30% enclosure volume gain (according to DIYMA equation).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.