I need help. At a dead end

tommytahoe

I have a 2001 Tahoe with a pioneer deh x16 radio and 2 kicker subs and a 500 watt kicker amp. Which worked great for a week. Now the radio plays only the subs (no door speakers)for about a minute and then shuts off and says amp error. It's not wired to the cars internal amp. Anyone know what the problem is? I'm at a dead end and really don't want to get ripped off by a car audio shop.

I have a 2001 Tahoe with a pioneer deh x16 radio and 2 kicker subs and a 500 watt kicker amp. Which worked great for a week. Now the radio plays only the subs (no door speakers)for about a minute and then shuts off and says amp error. It's not wired to the cars internal amp. Anyone know what the problem is? I'm at a dead end and really don't want to get ripped off by a car audio shop.
Who installed it? Where's the gain set and how was it set? Check your grounds to start.

One of your door speakers may be blown. Causing your head unit to go into protect. Best way to check them all is behind the radio at the harness

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Use a dmm to see what the ohm reading is

Let's make sure I understand the problem. When the speakers stop playing, the *headunit* says "amp error" and the sub still plays fine - correct?

If so, then the problem is NOT with the sub, the sub amp nor the RCAs to the sub amp.

When the headunit says "amp error" it means the amp that is internal to the headunit. It means something is overloading the speaker output terminals on the head unit.

You either have a blown speaker connected to one of the headunit's speaker outputs, OR you have a shorted-out speaker wire connected to one of the head unit's speaker output terminals.

You need to find the bad speaker or shorted speaker wire - either by physical examination, or with a DMM.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.