I need a new battery, what to get?

skatingrocker17
10+ year member

Ohio
I really need a new battery. I currently have the stock ACDelco battery in my 2007 Lacrosse but not every time my subs even hit loud at all, the amp stops getting power. When I got it serviced the other day they checked it and said I needed a new one too. I was looking at the XS Power D1200 but then I looked at the Duralast Gold which is a lot cheaper and does 725 CCAs too. I'm not really an expert on batteries but what should I get? I don't want overkill just something that will give me enough power and last awhile.

Thanks

I purchased a Sears DieHard Gold AGM group 34 the other day and I am very happy with it same specs as a Deka Intimidator probably the same battery actually it was about $160 after tax and everything.

I purchased a Sears DieHard Gold AGM group 34 the other day and I am very happy with it same specs as a Deka Intimidator probably the same battery actually it was about $160 after tax and everything.
I thought I read somewhere that the DieHards aren't really AGM? I don't even know what AGM means to be honest but I'm gussing it's good. I just want 1 battery that's good enough for my system which is pretty modest. Would I be able to fit a group 34 battery in my car? Aren't they bigger?

Well group 34 is a common under the hood battery for most vehicles at least it was for my Grand Prix and my Cavalier AGM stands for absorbent glass mat not all of the die hards are AGM just the gold agm and the platinum ones the standard gold and the one beneath it are lead cell batteries. I would think a lacrosse would be a group 34 but I can't be for sure.

Edit: I just looked on the sears website and it is in fact a group 34 battery for a lacrosse this is what I got: http://www.sears.com/diehard-advanced-gold-agm-battery-group-size-34/p-02850734000P?prdNo=9&blockNo=9&blockType=G9

Edit Edit: I assume your battery has top posts.

Well group 34 is a common under the hood battery for most vehicles at least it was for my Grand Prix and my Cavalier AGM stands for absorbent glass mat not all of the die hards are AGM just the gold agm and the platinum ones the standard gold and the one beneath it are lead cell batteries. I would think a lacrosse would be a group 34 but I can't be for sure.
Edit: I just looked on the sears website and it is in fact a group 34 battery for a lacrosse this is what I got: DieHard Gold Size 34 Car Batteries: Make Replacement Simple With Sears

Edit Edit: I assume your battery has top posts.
Yeah it does. I'm sure any of the batteries will be better than the stock one anyway. I'll just go to Sears tomorrow or Tuesday and pick that up then. Seems to be the best choice so far, appears to be a little better than the XS Power D1200 and it's cheaper too.

Yeah it's probably comparable to a deka or a duralast agm and they are all around the same price the comparable xs battery would be the 3400 which is a group 34 or the kinetik 1800 both of which are over $200 and are probably not necessary in your case if you are only going to run a modest system. I run an SAZ-1500 off mine with very little voltage drop although I haven't tested it wanging at idle or anything yet.

Edit: Additionally I went with sears because it was a local option also the 3 year warranty is nice.

How would the Platinum compare? I'm guessing the $19.99 Diehard service is an installation fee if I would have them install it. I just would prefer if my dash lights didn't dim. My head lights don't anymore because I installed HIDs.

I didn't look into the platinums due to the fact that I just wanted an entry level AGM for a low cost as I'm on the broke college kid budget I believe that the 19.99 is the core charge that would be negated by giving them your old battery although I'm not 100% sure about that. The platinum has almost the same amount of amp hours as the xs d3400 not quite the cranking amps but amp hours is what you generally want to look at I guess it all comes down to what you want to spend I'm not sure how much difference the 13 extra amp hours would make.

Try the: Deka unigy 31hr4000, they are 105ah. i just snagged 4 in a trade deal. These S.O.B.'s are HEAVY... also very heavy duty.
Where do you get those?

I didn't look into the platinums due to the fact that I just wanted an entry level AGM for a low cost as I'm on the broke college kid budget I believe that the 19.99 is the core charge that would be negated by giving them your old battery although I'm not 100% sure about that. The platinum has almost the same amount of amp hours as the xs d3400 not quite the cranking amps but amp hours is what you generally want to look at I guess it all comes down to what you want to spend I'm not sure how much difference the 13 extra amp hours would make.
I wonder if it'd be worth it. I'll look around and see if I have a Sears gift card laying around. If I do I'll just get the Platinum.

Yeah either way they are good batteries I don't think one of the Dekas suggested by bgowdy will fit under your hood but you can check the dimensions compared to a group 34.

[quote name='av83']@nicholasmccabe ; has some really decent agm's for killer prices.[/QUOTE]

The only reason I didn't mention him was because I didn't think the op could wait for shipping time I suppose that is another feasible option.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.