I miss my 12's

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nobody would sell me a used one and I have been wanting one for a long time for simplicity so I bought a DD-1.

MIDILizard

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 23, 2021
Philadelphia
Hey All. I produce/mix in recording studios. 12" vs 8" is all about physics and moving air. The physical wave pattern of low frequencies requires really moving air and really...space and mass. Good 8"s can do well-enough for the more important and common lows (basslines, kiks, toms, low pads, etc.) and satisfy most of us - but can't move real air (what you feel) without the size of the speaker (or multiple speakers) as the low sound waves are simply...larger. I do think a couple 8s or 10s can have a nice tightness and lowness to them. A 12 can sound a little "fluffy" to me depending on the amp/case/mass, space, etc. // On another note, I use some speaker-calibration software that REALLY make a HUGE difference for "EQing" speakers to a room. It's AMAZING stuff! https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-reference/for-speakers < Is there anything like this for cars? Good luck.

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Well, I installed the amplifier. I flattened all EQ's, set all X'overs to full, hooked up my O-Scope and set the midbass, mids and highs with a 1khz, -5db sign wave to no clipping right near 20v on each of the 4 channels. I set the sub amp with a 40hz, -10db tone to no clipping to 34.50v.

I then hooked up all the speaker leads and hopped back in the front seat to jump into my 3Sixty.3. I set the crossovers where they need to be and left all EQ's flat. Had to get lunch so we took my car. Even with everything flat I had great volume and NO issues with speakers cutting off. Volume is within a few DB's of the Barbara Ann if even that. This little amp is plenty loud for sure and I haven't done any eqing or redone the time alignment yet. The power light on top is white. I thought that was pretty classy on this tiny little white amp.

I have NO regrets in this purchase so far. All that is left is to see how long it last. All terminals are phillips head. Power and ground fit my 4awg to 4awg adapters perfectly as seen in the picture. Fit and finish does not feel cheap and for its size is a very heavy little amplifier.

Look at the size difference. Class A/B vs Class D

Attachments

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Holy Hell!! I just went and played with the EQ's and time alignment. Jesus that thing is loud!!! Gonna have to play with the sub level just a hair as it is not where I want it completely just yet. Although, the IASCA disc is proving very useful and the subs shine all day listening to that disc. I played AC/DC's "For those about to rock" track and man is it loud and clean. I am gonna leave the subs alone for a few days... I may just be used to "boosted" sub bass.

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
EQ's and time alignment done. I don't know why anyone wouldn't buy this specific line of Soundstream amps. I also just purchased some mini ANL fuses. 80a and 150a.

Reactions: SMH90

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
Good to hear. It’s definitely a sleek little amp.

Reactions: ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
My final thoughts on this Soundstream Rubicon Nano. I have been pretty ruthless with this little thing and playing it LOUD for several hours a day. I played it today pretty darn hard and I put my hand on the amp... it was room temperature. I wouldn't even call it warm. As far as output, it is easily as loud as my Alpine F545 was/is. I may just go ahead and purchase the mono sub amp as well and see how it does on the P3's.

Does anyone know if Big D frequents this site? I'd like to send this amp to him to see if it is actually putting out what it says.

Reactions: Clifff150

Popwarhomie

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Hit up Ryan Blakenship he does the Budget gem or bust youtube channel. @bigblank69 on here

Reactions: ThxOne

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
Is Ryan still doing the budget gem or bust? It seems like it’s been forever since he posted a vid. I really enjoyed his videos.

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Is Ryan still doing the budget gem or bust? It seems like it’s been forever since he posted a vid. I really enjoyed his videos.
Not sure... his last video posted on Youtube was 2 months ago.

2RZ-FE

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Mar 14, 2011
Dixon, Ca
He always says in his videos that he has lots of amps to test but he doesn't make videos that often so maybe he does test a lot but doesn't make vids of them?

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
He always says in his videos that he has lots of amps to test but he doesn't make videos that often so maybe he does test a lot but doesn't make vids of them?
It's possible

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)

• J

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds