I miss my 12's

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
I enjoy listening to my stereo in my car... however, there was just something more enjoyable about my 12's that I just can't get out of my single 10". Any of you regret getting rid of old stuff? These JBL 12's were so violent. I miss them.

Attachments

Ridinhi

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Aug 8, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I enjoy listening to my stereo in my car... however, there was just something more enjoyable about my 12's that I just can't get out of my single 10". Any of you regret getting rid of old stuff? These JBL 12's were so violent. I miss them.
I had a set of those but never installed them. Built a sealed box that was 1.5 per. Hate I never got to hear them before selling them

Ridinhi

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Aug 8, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
What size box is that you had them in?

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Reactions: Buck

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
I heard they liked space ported. That’s some low tuning. Did they like it?
Absolutely loved it. No subsonic filter and that Alpine amp. It was so loud and low that certain frequencies made my eyes move.

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Here is a video I made. The volume was down too lol.

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND
I know the most recent catchphrase is "it's all in the box", but I agree with you. My experience is bigger subs get lower.

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
I am curious if I would be happy if I got a second P3D4 and ran a pair of them at 1ohm. I have the amp that would push them easily. I have an enclosure picked out that would fit them and fit the car and would have the proper air space. I think a pair of P3 10's could get down. Maybe?

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND
I am curious if I would be happy if I got a second P3D4 and ran a pair of them at 1ohm. I have the amp that would push them easily. I have an enclosure picked out that would fit them and fit the car and would have the proper air space. I think a pair of P3 10's could get down. Maybe?
The shitty part of car audio "what if"s is they usually cost a LOT! I personally owned one of the first gen p3's, and it was awesome, but I was 15 and stupid and sold it. I'd love to hear the new ones.

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
The shitty part of car audio "what if"s is they usually cost a LOT! I personally owned one of the first gen p3's, and it was awesome, but I was 15 and stupid and sold it. I'd love to hear the new ones.
My P3D4 10" is sitting in my Dayton Audio shipping box on top of my original labyrinth slot ported enclosure I had it in and I am stuck in this "What do I want to buy next" mind screw. I hate not having pairs of speakers so chances are, it's going to be another sub. Either a Dayton Ultimax or P3D4... probably the Punch cause it was louder.

JulesH

10+ year member
Oct 23, 2004
VA
Here is a video I made. The volume was down too lol.

Cool, prob 140s? Any sound deadening? That license plate would drive me nuts lol. My 12 tuned low does around 125db. I want to add another sub.

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Cool, prob 140s? Any sound deadening? That license plate would drive me nuts lol. My 12 tuned low does around 125db. I want to add another sub.
Yes, mid 140's when the volume was turned up. There is deadening behind the plate lol and a 12"x12" piece for each door speaker. Other than that, none.

mastershake575

CarAudio.com Veteran
Mar 11, 2015
Dallas
Of course you miss those subs. Neo magnet, high efficency, kevlar cone, strong motor. Going from 2 elite 12 inch subwoofers to a single 10 is going to be night and day difference for sure

Last edited:
Reactions: Squirrel!

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
I know the most recent catchphrase is "it's all in the box", but I agree with you. My experience is bigger subs get lower.
That's typically true. Bigger subs tend to have higher Mms, which means the cone is more encourage to continue moving the direction it's already moving, more so than a lower Mms woofer. So it's more encouraged to produce a longer wavelength, aka lower Fs. What has an even lower Fs is these 4" VC woofers. 4" VC's are huge. They add so much Mms. A lot of these 2000-5000 watt subs with 4 inchers have Fs's in the 20's, even with 3000-5000 watt RMS ratings. That's just a crazy dynamic to me, but I love it. The most powerful subs want to hit lows, I'm down.

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
I just saw that my tax refund is set to hit my bank via direct deposit in a few days so I was going to say F-it and buy the enclosure for two 10's. However, it would be shipped from Pennsylvania and if you look at a weather radar of the US right now... shipping may be delayed lol. I am going to wait a few days, order the box and order the second RF sub. I think 1200w on two P3 10's will be pretty loud. Then I can buy a Dayton 4ohm 500w plate amp and use my Dayton Ultimax in the house to replace the Yamaha sub I confiscated for my computer. That way I will have a proper sub back in the living room. So that is my final decision on the sub for my car. Wheeew!

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Couldn't wait... bought the box. Here are the dimensions.

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Ok so the enclosure is on the way and I literally just purchased the other RF P3D4 10" subwoofer.

I am a little excited lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Squirrel!

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
Nice. You’re better than me ha. I would have bought an entire new set. I’m always swapping brands just to see what I like.

Reactions: ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Nice. You’re better than me ha. I would have bought an entire new set. I’m always swapping brands just to see what I like.
I love that little P3 10 I have. It is pretty beefy and surprising all by itself...... no way two of them won't satisfy my bass needs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds