I messed up my car stereo system. What now?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sam781

Well I guess I was just looking for a place to vent. Getting any good advice would just be icing on the cake.

So I bought a brand new 2017 Honda HRV a month and a half ago in March.

I loved this car. It was luxurious. Comfortable leather seats. Great audio system. Deep rich sound filled the whole cabin.

Then I started to notice it sounded kind of muffled. I couldn't ever really hear the vocals over the instrumentation. The more I turned it up, it was just louder but vocals were still hidden by instruments. I can hear it in other cars, the last car I owned and on my computer. But not in this car. But I could deal with that.

The HRV also came with Sirius XM. I really liked it and sat out one night just playing with it and discovering stations. i had a blast the sound was so great. Deep and rich, though of course as I mentioned a little muffled.

So the next day I went ahead and subscribed to the six month plan for Sirius XM. The next day, the left speaker just started giving all kinds of static while I was playing Sirius XM. I kept switching stations but the static was on all stations and finally the left speaker just gave out. It hasn't been the same since.

So I went to a car stereo shop and told the guy I think the car dealer might have nicked a wire when installing some LED lights I asked for when I bought it. He said that would be hard to track down.

I also told him about the muffled sound and how I couldn't hear the vocals. He said I wanted more tweet. He talked me into spending 3500 dollars. He replaced the two speakers in the front doors with Illusion speakers that have very little or no base. I can't tell really because his English is terrible and his answers are always a little hard to follow and a little crazy. And Two Illusion speakers with a little more base in the rear doors. And a sub woofer in the back. A 4 channel amp and a 2 channel amp for the sub. A processor and fuse box. Grounded under the spare tire in the back. Feeding power off of the battery. What a contraption. The sub woof takes up all my storage space. Space is one of the reasons I bought an SUV. He said the box would be small. It takes up the whole back!!! I told him my concern in the beginning but he still talked me into it. He didn't care. Just a snake oil salesman.

I can barely really hear the base in the sub anyway except on maybe 2 out of every ten songs.

Also he put to tweeters in the top of the doors near the dash but also left the factory tweeters in the top of the dash and didn't disconnect them. Now I have all this tweet blasting in my face up front. There is no deep rich sound like I had. I am so remorseful. He assured me during our initial conversation that there were no speakers in the dash. Then he tells me he just left them there and didn't disconnect them.

Now after all that, Sirius XM still doesn't play through the left speaker. Once in a while it pops in for a few seconds and sounds astounding! It almost sounds deep and rich again in spite of this guy ruining my system. But only for a few seconds and then its gone.

I called Sirius XM and they said if I play it through the mobile app over blue tooth and it plays through the left speaker it is probably a receiver on the daughter board and the dealer may need to replace the unit.

Should I go ahead and do this? Or will it just create a whole new batch of problems that I can't foresee.

Also now the Navigation Unit blares unbearably loud while giving directions. It's unbearable. Unusable. Oh man I loved this car and this guy screwed it up so bad and now I owe him $3500 dollars. I was trying to keep my payments low for 300 a month but I was willing to pay to fix the audio. Now this guy destroyed my car. Also, when switcing sources where one is really low and the other is high it just blasts in your face. The original factory setup equalized it out between the sources. THIS GUY DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING! (I wonder if I can sue? Anyone know a car lawyer?)

Also after the guy worked on it, there is no support on the driver seat from his fat a$$ sitting in it I guess. Now my back is all jacked up. 5 more years to deal with this now. It was so firm and supportive.

After all this venting my real question is does anyone know how to fix the left speaker while playing Sirius XM? Is it worth having the dealer replace the unit? Will it help?

Moral of the story - never let some guy mess with your brand new car unless you are darn sure they know what they are doing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Man 50 years old and I fell for this. All I can do now is buy the car out and wait until I am 55 to try again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.