I keep frying subwoofers. .?

Burned voice coils means too much power. This sounds like the case of improper gain/volume settings, or an improperly sized speaker/amp combo. You say you had the gain "turned down"... there really is no turned down, there is a proper gain setting, and then there is everything else (for the average user). When someone says they had the gain 'turned down' or 'set low', these are signs that they are using the gain knob as a volume knob, not as a set-and-forget adjustment.

I dont see any discussion in this thread about the actual sub and amp used, or the enclosure size, either.

A modern stock hu is probably producing around 20w per Ch. According to Ohms law 20w at 4 ohms is 8.9v. I'm guessing there is some inefficiency in the loc conversion process, but I expect the loc's output is 6-8v.

The pio's min sensitivity is 6.5v. At 50% gain you're set for something in the 3v range assuming the control is somewhat linear.

So it's possible if not likely you're clipping at anything over half volume.

Plus, I don't think kickers current batch of subs are exactly conservatively rated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes sense to say turned down he may be thinking it is a volume control, good hunch and chances are he is. I did at one time , beginners will learn the hard way sometimes. To clarify the gain control is actually controlling voltage output to your sub and too much voltage will burn out a coil/sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.