No head unit install on '12 Mustang

Participant count
  • Participant list

josh9730

I have been doing research on this for awhile, and I still have a few things I'm not sure about. I have a '12 base mustang, which if you are familiar with has a god awful sound system. So I want to upgrade. No big deal, except in order to put a new head unit in, you gotta buy this $400 adaptor that moves some stuff around, and its just a pain.

So what I am thinking, is use my phone. Planning on going phone - bluetooth reciever/DAC - Line driver - straight to 5 channel amp. I know this will not be the best ever sound, but it should be quite good, and I already bought a good BT reciever/DAC and it already sounds much better. I think there are android apps to tune it as well.

My question now is, I would like to be able to tie into the stock stereo's volume knob somehow. Is this feasible realistically, and what would I need to do and research to accomplish this? Or should I just not be lazy and use the volume on the phone?

no, you won't be able to use the factory volume control (head unit or steering wheel) with your plans. what you can do, however, is get a line driver/processor with a remote volume knob. then you can mount that wherever you want.

this is a valid option for the volume control - compatible with anything

http://www.jlaudio.com/cl-rlc-car-audio-system-expansion-98117

did you look at the idatalink Maestro?

iDatalink - Maestro - Search

or, what i did in my 2014 Accord, is add a single DIN radio in place of a lower pocket. This allows for a high SQ source when needed, factory HU convenience when desired, and all combinations.

2014AccordSystemH800_2015.jpg

2014AccordHeadUnitAudio%20070.jpg

2014AccordHeadUnitAudio%20069.jpg

I have been doing research on this for awhile, and I still have a few things I'm not sure about. I have a '12 base mustang, which if you are familiar with has a god awful sound system. So I want to upgrade. No big deal, except in order to put a new head unit in, you gotta buy this $400 adaptor that moves some stuff around, and its just a pain.
So what I am thinking, is use my phone. Planning on going phone - bluetooth reciever/DAC - Line driver - straight to 5 channel amp. I know this will not be the best ever sound, but it should be quite good, and I already bought a good BT reciever/DAC and it already sounds much better. I think there are android apps to tune it as well.

My question now is, I would like to be able to tie into the stock stereo's volume knob somehow. Is this feasible realistically, and what would I need to do and research to accomplish this? Or should I just not be lazy and use the volume on the phone?
Same exact car and year. Bought the car with the cheesy 4 basic for the sole purpose of doing a full system. Found the faceplate on sale at Sonic for 260.00 over a year ago. Worth it to get imo. Tying into the stock hu for just volume control won't work. Btw, you're local so if you ever want to check mine out lmk. I'll give you a demo as well.

It just seems silly to spend 200+ for the faceplate, then another few hundred for a headunit, when I'm gonna be using my phone for everything anyways. I can't think of anything I would miss out on by not having a head unit except a somewhat better sounding system.

That's a pretty good idea, putting the headunit up there. If I had one of those I might do that, I considered putting it in the glove box too. And I had not even thought of a line driver with volume, that's a good idea, thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.