I have no idea what I'm doing... (amp and sub upgrade)

st.ripken

Hey guys, happy holidays!

I know close to ZERO about car tech or audio tech. I would not describe myself as an audiophile by any means but I do know that when I listen to music I like listening to good quality sound whether it be in my car or anywhere.

In February of 2014 I decided I wanted to upgrade/replace the stock speakers in my 2012 Honda Accord. For lack of a better word, the stock system just sounded awful. I ended up replacing the four speakers in addition to the car's head unit. (all from Alpine - links below)

Speakers:

Alpine 6-1/2" 2-Way Coaxial Car Speakers with Poly-Mica Cones (Pair) Black SPS-610 - Best Buy

RMS: 80

Peak Power: 240

Impedance: 4 ohms

Sensitivity: 88 decibels

Head Unit:

Alpine CD - Built-In Bluetooth - Car Stereo Receiver Black CDE-143BT - Best Buy

RMS: 18

Watts per channel: 50

Where I'm at now:

My new audio system was an improvement but it was nowhere close to the quality I was expecting, however I at least was able to hear something that actually resembled real bass. But still, I was disappointed.

I only recently (past month) decided to do a bit more research into car audio just because my life has been a bit quieter these days than it was 22 months ago. From what I have gathered from browsing the WWW it seems that in order to get the most out of the Alpine head unit and speakers I have installed, it is crucial to get an amplifier and a subwoofer installed.

So yes, this is where I am currently at. I am in the market for buying a new amplifier and a new subwoofer. I could use all the help I can get in order to make sure I get this right and have a bumpin' audio system.

The problem, as previously stated: my knowledge of all-things-car-audio is very limited.

General questions:

-Since my current speakers and head unit are both Alpine, should I be looking solely at an Alpine amp and sub as well? Does it matter? What brands should I be looking out for (matter of opinion, yeah, but I would like to hear those)?

-What specs, factors, etc should I be looking at for the amp and sub? I know that the power and specs of the head unit and speakers I already have play a big role in what I should and shouldn't be looking for in the amp and sub.

Anyways, yeah... ANY help, tips, guidance, advice is appreciated.

I look forward to hearing y'all's responses.

Let's make this kitty purr.

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you should not only look at alpine subs and amps.

What's your budget?

What's your goal?

How much space do you have for a sub box?

You have a good start to a nice system.

I'll add/offer my suggestions.

I'll first admit I'm an Alpine fanboy and have been one for nearly 40, yep 40 years. My first Alpine looked just like the old fashioned radio's with a "knob" on each side...volume and tuning...it proudly had "1" watt and was louder than anything I had heard until then. I've bought and installed probably a dozen head units, all Alpine, since then including the iLX-700/Car Play that is going into my 2012 Honda CRV in a day or so.

With that I'll start by saying that while the Alpine head unit sounds "ok" you won't get the best of the "musicality" and range out of your speakers until you connect an amp...the difference will be shocking...the clarity and power will be great.

Regarding amps you have a bit of a quandary for the number of channels you'll need. You're going to need 5 channels to power the speakers and subs...you can go with a 4 channel stereo amp and a "mono" amp for the sub or a "5 channel" amp that will power the speakers and sub.

You don't have to stick with an Alpine amp...they are fine...there are other brands that may offer more bang for the buck that actually have a better sound...better you go to a good audio store and give some a test drive.

Same goes for the sub...nothing wrong with an Alpine sub but again you may get more for less money with another brand.

Subs are not all alike either...some of it depends on the vehicle and where the sub is going...trunk etc...ported or sealed...generally a sealed sub may give a tighter bass output where a ported sub may sound louder overall...I've used a 12" ported sub/Memphis Audio in my trunk and a 10" sealed sub/MB Quart on the floor of the back seat in my 2005 Accord EX and overall I preferred the 10...sold the 12, still have the 10 and it sounds great after 15 years of use.

While we can recommend all day it is your ears that will/should make the choice. But I'll tell you what I'm using...see my signature area...

As I have mentioned I love Alpine head units and while I've owned a couple pair of Alpine speakers, mid priced, they are not my favorites...those are first JL Audio then MB Quart but I've found the MB's to be a bit too bright for my tastes while the JL's are smooth and I much prefer silk tweeters.

50 watts per channel for the speakers and ??? for the sub...depends on the sub's power requirement...will give you a lot of very good sound.

Just don't cheap out on quality...there are amp makers out there that offer lots of watts for very little money but the sound quality tends to be pretty awful and depending on the output settings and listening volume can damage and/or shorten the life of your speakers...clipping is BAD...

Again I suggest you go to a couple of local shops, tell them what you have and would like to achieve, ask their recommendations...tell them your realistic budget...and listen...I've always brought a demo cd/usb drive/iphone/etc. with ten of my favorite songs in varied genres...AC/DC, The Beatles, Aerosmith, Jethro Tull, Annie Lennox, Frank Sinatra, etc...anyone can crank up some rock and tell you how good it sounds but how about a single voice male/female singing with music in the background...

Make sure to budget the wiring kits...amp cables, fuses, connectors, etc...again don't buy some cheap **** because you only have a few bucks left...better to wait another couple of weeks and get decent quality...also check the reviews for the stuff you are thinking about...Crutchfield and Amazon reviews are very good, I use them all the time...read them carefully, it's amazing the silly little stuff people complain about...maybe not silly to them...

Good luck and keep us informed.

Ok let me ask goals , budget, how much room are you willing to use ? If it was me. I'd replace the front speakers with components , get a 4 channel amp for them. Deaden the doors trunk and rear deck. A single 12 in the trunk in a ported box on 1500-2000 watts rms 0 gauge wiring front to rear and a extra battery in the back this would be a nice sound system cost would depends on used or new and components alpine amps are ok. But nothing special. The type r sub I'd pass on it like said there are better subs and amp for the money

Thanks for the reply, man.

My budget:

-Amp: $200 ish

-Sub: $200 ish

-Installation: whatever it takes to make sure it's done right

My goal:

I just want a nice, rich sound with a broad soundstage (ideally). A love bass, but I don't want it to be muddy.

Sub box:

Uhh, my car is a 2012 Honda Accord sedan, and it has a pretty standard-large trunk. I don't want it to fill the whole thing obviously, but there is space.

Why does everyone always go overboard, for a newbie like the op. OP get a 5 channel amp with 50x4 and around 400 watts for a subwoofers, the find a good box designer and get a ported 12 and you'll be happy. You don't NEED extra batteries for a beginner setup. I suggest sundown e series on a SSA DCON or similar. Enjoy, it will be plenty for you!

Why does everyone always go overboard, for a newbie like the op. OP get a 5 channel amp with 50x4 and around 400 watts for a subwoofers, the find a good box designer and get a ported 12 and you'll be happy. You don't NEED extra batteries for a beginner setup. I suggest sundown e series on a SSA DCON or similar. Enjoy, it will be plenty for you!
This suggestion is best so far.

This suggestion is best so far.
I agree, the ppi900.5 and other amps of that sort will get people on a whole different level without spending 3x the price on multiple wiring kits and amps.

I have 3 amps, but I have an entire back wall and wanted the extra channels/power, it's a different goal.

A 12" ported box in the trunk is going to fill nearly half of it...that is what I had in the back of my '04 Accord EX. It worked very well but I decided I needed the room, or in truth my wife told me she had no room to put groceries in the trunk and she didn't care for the sub. I put the 10" sealed sub back on the floor of the back seat and while not quite so loud it is a more crisp/tight bass.

Your budget may work out...it will or should for the sub...however you are barely going to buy a 5 channel sub at $200.00...you will need around $350.00 for a decent 5 channel amp, including a bit of a low powered Alpine that may just power a decent sub...

You may need to budget close to $600.00 to cover a sub, amp and needed wiring harness, etc. with a bit of money left over.

Have you done any homework checking out audio sales sites, local shops?

A 12" ported box in the trunk is going to fill nearly half of it...that is what I had in the back of my '04 Accord EX. It worked very well but I decided I needed the room, or in truth my wife told me she had no room to put groceries in the trunk and she didn't care for the sub. I put the 10" sealed sub back on the floor of the back seat and while not quite so loud it is a more crisp/tight bass.
Your budget may work out...it will or should for the sub...however you are barely going to buy a 5 channel sub at $200.00...you will need around $350.00 for a decent 5 channel amp, including a bit of a low powered Alpine that may just power a decent sub...

You may need to budget close to $600.00 to cover a sub, amp and needed wiring harness, etc. with a bit of money left over.

Have you done any homework checking out audio sales sites, local shops?
This amp will do fine under 200.

Precision Power PPI P900.5 Phantom 900W 5-Channel Amplifier

That ppi is perfect, I ran a similar system with a pair of sundown e8's and anyone who was new to systems thought I had a pair of 12's. OP if you want suggestions on a nice setup pm me and I'll steer you in a direction. Heck you could easily get a 4 channel and bridge the rears to a sub.

Kai Winters,

First off, thank you so much for taking the time to write out such a detailed reply last night.

Secondly, in response to your question about doing my homework: I have spent time browsing Best Buy, Amazon, and Crutchfield. I feel like the time I have spent browsing hasn't done me much good though, just because when I look through all the specs and whatnot, I realize that I am only 60% sure that I understand what I am reading haha.

Over the weekend I stopped by a nearby Best Buy because I knew they had a car audio section. However they were pretty useless in steering me in any kind of direction, and were a bit lacking in terms of customer service. Tomorrow I am taking a small trip to a local car audio specialty store.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.